DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which is better

I believe it's a stacked sensor. I haven't seen much on this new tech. The next generation will tell if the public believes it. Sometimes it's better to wait to find out. I never went broke waiting to buy new tech. It always improves. I shoot micro 4/3 now on my newest cameras because it's just as good for the internet. Let's see what stacked sensors hold.
Since I mostly print 11x14, 14X20, or 16x20, full frame file size works. APS C works as well. Drone photos benefit from resizing a bit using something like Gigapixel from Topaz. MP isn't really all that important as long as the minimum resolution at 72dpi looks good and how far away you will view it. I mostly go for 300dpi for my prints though.
I remember when the Nikon d40 came out, I printed large photos with it as well and it was only a 6mp sensor.
I found that with this Air 3 sensor, 12mp looks good with higher ISO. and 48mp looks good with set ISO at 100. Haven't printed anything yet, but looking at file sizes at 300dpi, looks promising.
Air 3S with a 1 inch sensor would be a lot better though. I am not sure about stacked sensors yet though.

Back to the Air 3. I have taken it out twice now. 2 batteries the first time, 1 battery this morning but quit due to windy conditions. I am genuinely impressed with the quality and sharpness of the photos. I have been taking 9 photos and stitching so I get the field of view in wanted, all at 48mp ISO 100 160s shutter speed. I do have a dji wide angle filter ordered.
One thing I really like about this drone over the air2s is the speed at which it gets up in the air to fly where you want to take the shot.

Since I mostly print 11x14, 14X20, or 16x20, full frame file size works. APS C works as well. Drone photos benefit from resizing a bit using something like Gigapixel from Topaz. MP isn't really all that important as long as the minimum resolution at 72dpi looks good and how far away you will view it. I mostly go for 300dpi for my prints though.
I remember when the Nikon d40 came out, I printed large photos with it as well and it was only a 6mp sensor.
I found that with this Air 3 sensor, 12mp looks good with higher ISO. and 48mp looks good with set ISO at 100. Haven't printed anything yet, but looking at file sizes at 300dpi, looks promising.
Air 3S with a 1 inch sensor would be a lot better though. I am not sure about stacked sensors yet though.

Back to the Air 3. I have taken it out twice now. 2 batteries the first time, 1 battery this morning but quit due to windy conditions. I am genuinely impressed with the quality and sharpness of the photos. I have been taking 9 photos and stitching so I get the field of view in wanted, all at 48mp ISO 100 160s shutter speed. I do have a dji wide angle filter ordered.
One thing I really like about this drone over the air2s is the speed at which it gets up in the air to fly where you want to take the shot.
It's more than good enough for those size photos.

Reactions: Dusty DJI
Upgrading soon from Air 2S. Mavic 3, Mavic 3pro or Air 3. I’m a photographer but also do roof inspections and some construction/demolition captures. Any suggestions?
Pretty simple imo. If you need the best of the best when it comes to portable/foldable drone and you have the budget, you cannot go wrong with the Mavic 3 Pro. 20mp, 1x/3x/7x cameras, great performance. If you're ok with 12mp and 1x/3x cameras, then the Air 3 is a no brainer. I recently returned my Mavic 3 Pro because the 7x was mostly a "nice to have" and my work isn't for pixel peepers and the 12mp does just fine. My 2 cents anyway... good luck.

Reactions: kalimah
Pretty simple imo. If you need the best of the best when it comes to portable/foldable drone and you have the budget, you cannot go wrong with the Mavic 3 Pro. 20mp, 1x/3x/7x cameras, great performance. If you're ok with 12mp and 1x/3x cameras, then the Air 3 is a no brainer. I recently returned my Mavic 3 Pro because the 7x was mostly a "nice to have" and my work isn't for pixel peepers and the 12mp does just fine. My 2 cents anyway... good luck.
Thanks a bunch!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_