DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which Mavic 3 is a logical replacement for Phantom 4 Pro?

cinclodes

Reactions
I need to start thinking about retiring my Phantom 4 Pro. Which Mavic 3 model would be a logical replacement? I want to continue flying missions with Litchi and have comparable or better video quality. I like having a lanyard for the controller to keep from dropping it. Is there a place to attach a lanyard? I realize that I will need to get an adaptor to use an iPad. I will miss the convenient 'handles' for grabbing the P4P, but it will be great to get longer flight times as a reward for reducing mass.

Reactions: Torque
I need to start thinking about retiring my Phantom 4 Pro. Which Mavic 3 model would be a logical replacement? I want to continue flying missions with Litchi.
Unfortunately DJI haven't released an SDK to allow 3rd party developers to modify their software (such as Litchi and mapping programs) to work with the Mavic 3.
DJI's communications with users about this have been less than transparent.
So far there is no indication that they will release the SDK.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Unfortunately DJI haven't released an SDK to allow 3rd party developers to modify their software (such as Litchi and mapping programs) to work with the Mavic 3.
DJI's communications with users about this have been less than transparent.
So far there is no indication that they will release the SDK.
Whoa! So Litchi can't be used with the Mavic 3?? That's a definite show-stopper for me. This is the kind of thing that happens when one company gains a near monopoly of an industry. A comparable competitor, if one existed, could gain an advantage by producing a drone that runs Litchi missions.

Whoa! So Litchi can't be used with the Mavic 3?? That's a definite show-stopper for me. This is the kind of thing that happens when one company gains a near monopoly of an industry. A comparable competitor, if one existed, could gain an advantage by producing a drone that runs Litchi missions.
DJI recently allowed the Mavic 3 to run waypoints within their control app.
I haven't tried it yet to see how good/useful it is.

I recommend that you begin looking at the reviews on YOUTUBE there are many videos from experienced users that will answer all your questions.
DJI is adding more features every month the things I wanted in January when I bought my Mavics are now available.

I got tons of good up-to date information that has saved me a ton of money.

Reactions: Torque
Thanks for all of the inputs. I am curious what others think of the fact that Litchi cannot be used with the Mavic 3. Litchi is extremely powerful, and it is extremely well done in every way. You can set up and save missions on the web that are automatically linked to your iPad. The combination of the P4P and Litchi is amazing.

Am I the only one who regards it as a great loss that there (apparently) no longer exists a drone on the market that (1) has the capabilities of the P4P and (2) can run Litchi missions? I will buy a Mavic 3 if they upgrade to allow Litchi, but it will otherwise be of no use to me. If they do allow Litchi, it will be great to have the longer flight time and other advantages (which seem to be of lesser significance than the longer flight time).

I started looking around for a used P4P, but this seems to be a very high risk market. I have read about all the problems with the P4P V2, and you never know what you might be getting from a dishonest seller.

i fly a M1P and though i dont use Litchi i have been told it will work. You can also modify the software from NLD to remove NFZ's or altitude. I think it also works on the M2P and M2PZ. i think that may be my next one.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see anything in the Mavic line as being really a one-to-one comparison to anything in the Mavic line. The Mavic line in my mind has always been about portability, size, ease of transportation, etc. All things I've never associated with anything in the Phantom series. That being said, why not investigate finding a quality used M2P? As far as I know it is also fully compatible with Litchi, as I know I've flown several Litchi missions in the past with my old M2P.

I'm not looking for a one-to-one comparison. I just don't want to give up essential capabilities. As mentioned previously, the used drone market is very risky. For now, I will be very careful not to lose my P4P and hope the Mavic 3 eventually allows Litchi.

Thanks for all of the inputs. I am curious what others think of the fact that Litchi cannot be used with the Mavic 3. Litchi is extremely powerful, and it is extremely well done in every way. You can set up and save missions on the web that are automatically linked to your iPad. The combination of the P4P and Litchi is amazing.

Am I the only one who regards it as a great loss that there (apparently) no longer exists a drone on the market that (1) has the capabilities of the P4P and (2) can run Litchi missions? I will buy a Mavic 3 if they upgrade to allow Litchi, but it will otherwise be of no use to me. If they do allow Litchi, it will be great to have the longer flight time and other advantages (which seem to be of lesser significance than the longer flight time).

I started looking around for a used P4P, but this seems to be a very high risk market. I have read about all the problems with the P4P V2, and you never know what you might be getting from a dishonest seller.
I actually prefer Dronelink to Litchi for Waypoint missions as I find it much more powerful and customizable. With that being said, I am not a hard core waypoint user - I have used waypoints especially with my older Phantom 3 Standard more in the past.

I have only used DJIs recent inclusion of Waypoints on the Mavic 3 a couple of times so I am not really an experienced user with it. But from my use with it, I have found it to be reliable but there are a few things I wish DJI would include in future updates. The maps on the RC Pro controller are next to impossible to use when you zoom in to plan a mission - this needs to be fixed. Its very difficult to plan a mission at a location that is far away from your current location so including some sort of offline planning like in Dronelink or Litchi would be great. If DJI fixed/included these things in a future update then there would be no need to have Litchi or Dronelink for Waypoint planning.

Chris

Check the specs on the A2s, compatible with Litchi, to see if it would fit your needs. I find it a decent enough compliment to my P4Ps, in a smaller size.

Am I the only one who regards it as a great loss that there (apparently) no longer exists a drone on the market that (1) has the capabilities of the P4P and (2) can run Litchi missions?
Anyone who has used the P4 pro for mapping or with Litchi feels the same way.
Since the Mavic 3 was released well over a year ago, it's been a huge disappointment that DJI aren't interested in letting users realise the full potential of the Mavic 3.
They are more interested in milking buyers by pushing us toward their much more expensive "enterprise" models.
So far DJI have completely ignored all the complaints from users and not even responded.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I need to start thinking about retiring my Phantom 4 Pro. Which Mavic 3 model would be a logical replacement? I want to continue flying missions with Litchi and have comparable or better video quality. I like having a lanyard for the controller to keep from dropping it. Is there a place to attach a lanyard? I realize that I will need to get an adaptor to use an iPad. I will miss the convenient 'handles' for grabbing the P4P, but it will be great to get longer flight times as a reward for reducing mass.
If Litchi is a requirement for you, you have the luxury of waiting to see if DJI ever decides to release a Mavic 3 SDK, required for Litchi, before making a Mavic 3 purchase. Many bought the Mavic 3 assuming that the SDK would eventually be released for it, only to learn that there are no current plans to create an SDK for it, because of the prioritization of the Enterprise line for SDK's.

You best current choice for a P4P replacement with Litchi and comparable video capability is a Mavic 2 Pro, or another P4P. Longer flight times can be achieved on the M2P with aftermarket external batteries. Otherwise, flight time with new stock batteries is about the same as the P4P, in a much more transportable size.

Reactions: mcsenerd
In case you haven’t bought a new drone yet, I had exactly the same problem and after nearly 6 years of using Phantom 4 Pro, I bought Mavic 3 Classic with DJI RC controller and I am extremely satisfied with my choice.

Only Mavic 3 (any version) makes both photos and videos of better quality than Phantom 4 Pro. But of course only with the main 4/3 Hasselblad camera. As the quality of videos and photos is my only priority, I don’t need additional cameras with tele lenses but very small sensors.

I also used Litchi but now I don’t feel I need it. The DJI Fly app is much better than DJI Go 4 and even much better than Litchi was. And DJI RC controller is so comfortable, display screen so good that I don’t need my iPad any more. You can easily buy additional accessories to attach a lanyard to the controller not to drop it on the ground.

Other, more expensive versions of Mavic 3 will be good as well, but they are heavier. All lower versions of Mavic, like even Mavic 2 Pro will give you much lower quality video than Phantom 4 Pro.

If you have any other questions, I can willingly share my experience

Reactions: Sir Maxwell Greene
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2