DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

which microsd reader is most reliable

NovelBuffalo

Reactions
Which micro SD reader are you guys using that is most reliable? Ideally one that will directly connect to the iphone/ipad (lightning connector)? Tons of options on amazon, but all of them (including the apple one) have reviews here and there saying it corrupted their files. What have you guys used that worked well to transfer your files from the mavic 3 to your iphone

Never had issues with them corrupting and would find it highly suspect that ALL of them were doing this. I have a cheap, old one that not even sure where or how I got it, but works really well. Just don't pull the card out while you're transferring files and you should be OK.

The cards that most drone pilots rave about are Sandisk Ultra (V30 U1, A1) and SanDisk Extreme (V30 C10, U1, A2) the A2 designation refers to "application load time" - which has no bearing on our use case, but is significant in terms of random reads. We primarily care about high consecutive writes as recording at hi bitrates is where cheap cards fall down. The M3 will write H264 at 200 Mbit per sec, and H265 at 140 - equal to about 240? somewhere around there.

I've had no issues with these, also use Lexar Professional and High Performance 633x cards as well as Samsung Evo select, Samsung Pro Endurance and PNY Elite-X Class cards.

I would note that DJI sells the Sandisk Extreme for use with its Prosumer drones.

I have never lost a single byte of data. The reviews that are on Amazon are from idiots who mistreat the cards, or don't eject them or pull them while in use.

The cards that most drone pilots rave about are Sandisk Ultra (V30 U1, A1) and SanDisk Extreme (V30 C10, U1, A2) the A2 designation refers to "application load time" - which has no bearing on our use case, but is significant in terms of random reads. We primarily care about high consecutive writes as recording at hi bitrates is where cheap cards fall down. The M3 will write H264 at 200 Mbit per sec, and H265 at 140 - equal to about 240? somewhere around there.

I've had no issues with these, also use Lexar Professional and High Performance 633x cards as well as Samsung Evo select, Samsung Pro Endurance and PNY Elite-X Class cards.

I would note that DJI sells the Sandisk Extreme for use with its Prosumer drones.

I have never lost a single byte of data. The reviews that are on Amazon are from idiots who mistreat the cards, or don't eject them or pull them while in use.
In his OP, he was asking about the readers, and not the actual card.

Mark Lent

Reactions: snowghost
I use the one from Apple as well. Actually I use two, one for lightning and one for USB-C since I have a phone and iPad. I would like to see the phone move to USB-C as well since its the only thing I have at this point with lightning but that is beside the point.

I just download them to my computer and if I want them on my phone, I just Air Drop them to it.

Which micro SD reader are you guys using that is most reliable? Ideally one that will directly connect to the iphone/ipad (lightning connector)? Tons of options on amazon, but all of them (including the apple one) have reviews here and there saying it corrupted their files. What have you guys used that worked well to transfer your files from the mavic 3 to your iphone
DJI posts on it's website the SD Cards it recommends and most are Sandisk Extreme Ultras. If you are using your phone as a screen, then have the pics / vids sent directly to the phone to eliminate all that. It's in FlyApp settings. Don't have an iPhone, so no idea what works in them that you can plug in an mini SD card to review or edit things.

In his OP, he was asking about the readers, and not the actual card.

Mark Lent
I read that too, but think he was meaning the card. Yet, hard to tell some times when people post and understand exactly what they want / mean. When he got to the "corruption" part is where it was a bit clearer. Never heard of any "card reader" corrupting - as nothing to corrupt being a "reader." Now, some cards may corrupt, but not had that issue. My PC does show sometimes there are issues with my SD Cards on insertion and if I run a utility to check them - comes up with NADA.

I had been using a Lexar that is USB 3. Found that my SanDisk adapter is less fiddly. Sometimes with the former the MacBook doesn't mount the SD and I have to shove the SD in pretty firmly. Rather not do that. SanDisk is full sized SD though. Not everybody has a slot for that.

Why are folks transferring files from the SD card to a phone?

I use the SanDisk Extreme PRO SD UHS-II USB-C Reader - SDDR-409-G46 to transfer files from all my drones to my laptop computer.

I had been using a Lexar that is USB 3. Found that my SanDisk adapter is less fiddly. Sometimes with the former the MacBook doesn't mount the SD and I have to shove the SD in pretty firmly. Rather not do that. SanDisk is full sized SD though. Not everybody has a slot for that.
Have had several SanDisk "regular" cards that have the mini SD in them go bad. Not sure why; but my PC nor USB Card Reader will open them. Glad I had a few spares and my newer Asus 14" laptop is mini SD only - so that helps not needing the standard card portion when reading my DJI files.

I read that too, but think he was meaning the card. Yet, hard to tell some times when people post and understand exactly what they want / mean. When he got to the "corruption" part is where it was a bit clearer. Never heard of any "card reader" corrupting - as nothing to corrupt being a "reader." Now, some cards may corrupt, but not had that issue. My PC does show sometimes there are issues with my SD Cards on insertion and if I run a utility to check them - comes up with NADA.
Card readers can corrupt if there is a short within the card or the card reader. The other issues is pulling the card out of whatever it is attached to while a file is transferring. Outside of these, not aware of anything else that could cause this.

Cordially,

Mark

I use a card reader made by Transcend,it is a USB hookup to my Imac.
It is a little older model,but works with whatever I put in it.
Micro SD card have not been a problem reading at all.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard