DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which one to choose? 5.5 or 7.85

Edward_PRO

Reactions
Dear Mates,

hereby I am turning to you and kindly ask for your experience and help!

I have and am using the latest 6th Gen 2018 iPad (128GB Wifi+Cellular) with my Mavic Pro but now I am planning to buy a CrystalSky.

I am already aware about the facts and read many reviews and experience but it is always good to get new updates :) I do not want to replace the iPad completely, just use the CS as a dedicated monitor and remain iPad for postproduction and other processes.

I know that Ultra Bright is a big mistake to choose and the screenpanel burns out, goes black etc. The 2000 nit is way too much, 1000 nit is already many times brighter than a phone or tablet.

I know that 5.5 inch would be a big decrease in the size but it would be more comfortable/portable and also easier to mount with the controller and I read many reviews that the 5.5 inch does not crash so often than 7.85 inch.
Or is it worth to get the 7.85 1000 nit version? :( I am so confused because I love to see the flight in big. But 5.5 would be easier to bring with and mount.

And one more question: CS has IPS display as iPad has, right? So I won't get that same saturation and colors like a Samsung S8+ SuperAMOLED screen. Sorry, I love those colors :) but one of my friend told me that Samsung colors are oversatured as a default and iPad screen and colors are more realistic therefore the videographer work with it better in post-production.

Many many many THANKS for all those supportive feedbacks :)

Last edited:
Hi and welcome
I fly with both 5.5 & 7.85 Ultra with my MP & Spark.

For landscape 5.50 is good.
But for chasing boats and jet skis the 7.85 is awesome with no sunshade.

I’m going out tomorrow for a fly, if I remember I’ll take a couple of screen shots for you so you can see what I’m seeing.

You will be disappointed in the CS for its use as a tablet coming off from using a iPad. They are a buggy laggy piece of poo.

I only use the CS at monitor. I use my iPad or Mac to process after.

As a screen, transferring files on the field the are bloody Awesome.......

Anymore questions ask away.

Hi and welcome
I fly with both 5.5 & 7.85 Ultra with my MP & Spark.

For landscape 5.50 is good.
But for chasing boats and jet skis the 7.85 is awesome with no sunshade.

I’m going out tomorrow for a fly, if I remember I’ll take a couple of screen shots for you so you can see what I’m seeing.

You will be disappointed in the CS for its use as a tablet coming off from using a iPad. They are a buggy laggy piece of poo.

I only use the CS at monitor. I use my iPad or Mac to process after.

As a screen, transferring files on the field the are bloody Awesome.......

Anymore questions ask away.

Dear Forestjim,

I am so suprised and amazed how friendly you are :) it really means a lot to me and I do appreciate your kindness and support! I would never imagine such a quick reply on my thread.

You are absolutely right and I totally agree with you, never thought about this kind of aspect. For landscape where there is no intensive and fast actions and movements I agree that 5.5 would be enough and on the other hand I also see your point about boats and jetskis :) you need space to see what happens, am I right? :)

No no no... I do not mix up these 2 devices :) I would like to have the CS only as a dedicated monitor and not mixing up the functions with the iPad. I also do not understand those who you their phones but do not switch to airplane/flight mode as many other apps may disturb the flawless operation of the DJI GO4. But I am tired a bit already to carry the 9.7" iPad, mount it, move with it from one place to the other etc.

I am deeply thankful if you make some screenshots for me :) :) :) But is this 5.5" CS reliable? I dont want to lose my Mavic Pro :( okay set RTH, etc. but you also mentioned buggy, laggy piece of poo :/ does it have an impact on the live videostream?

Many thanks in advance for your kind answer!

Hi Edward...
sorry mate. I did forget to take those screenshots.
I will do it next time.
You like me coming off an iPad not a phone. I think the 7.85 is the way to go. You have more to see on the screen.

When I say buggy and laggy poo poo. I mean on as a tablet.
The video feed is good
RTH works fine
Intelligent flight modes
Awesome screen

This latest update I feel has fixed most of the problems we have had with overheating

Today at 25c the cooling fan came on. The CS didn’t feel hot at all. I should know I’ve burnout 3 of them with the dreaded overheat backlight fail. Boy did they get hot.

The adapter I use are
Skyreat for the 7.85 & 5.50
Some people think they are plastic brttle. For me it does the job. I fly sitting down with the RC on my lap.
Sometimes for late arvo will use the 5.50 with self adhesive Velcro
... it works and sticks hard.

On YouTube there is a guy called MadRC. Look at his videos he is an expert.

What country do you live in Edward. I live in Australia.

I’ll get you those screenshots soon.

Cheers

Marty

Reactions: Edward_PRO
Hi Edward...
sorry mate. I did forget to take those screenshots.
I will do it next time.
You like me coming off an iPad not a phone. I think the 7.85 is the way to go. You have more to see on the screen.

When I say buggy and laggy poo poo. I mean on as a tablet.
The video feed is good
RTH works fine
Intelligent flight modes
Awesome screen

This latest update I feel has fixed most of the problems we have had with overheating

Today at 25c the cooling fan came on. The CS didn’t feel hot at all. I should know I’ve burnout 3 of them with the dreaded overheat backlight fail. Boy did they get hot.

The adapter I use are
Skyreat for the 7.85 & 5.50
Some people think they are plastic brttle. For me it does the job. I fly sitting down with the RC on my lap.
Sometimes for late arvo will use the 5.50 with self adhesive Velcro
... it works and sticks hard.

On YouTube there is a guy called MadRC. Look at his videos he is an expert.

What country do you live in Edward. I live in Australia.

I’ll get you those screenshots soon.

Cheers

Marty
Hi Marty :)

no problem, don't worry... I really do appreciate the fact that you would like to show me and share with me those screenshots. The willingness is the most important ;)

I write to you from Budapest, Hungary :) from the heart of Europe. Here we got a lot of historical buildings to shot, beautiful places. I will send you some Yotuube videos in private message.

I am really lucky with you Australian guys :D because like 3 weeks ago I met a young guy here in the front of the Parliament with his MP and also another guy from Australia helped me in a Facebook group.
I think I will go to 5.5" CS because you have pointed out what I need = 16:9 screen :) the 7.85 is 4:3 and big for me, this is why I want to leave my 9.7" iPad at home, because it's a bit exhausting to bring and carry it everywhere, so the smaller CS is the more comfortable and compact choice for me. I have taken a look at PolarPro mount for MP RC but on the other hand it is ridiculous that you need to have/buy a battery charger for the hub :D 2 of my friends have an INSPIRE 2 so I can solve this issue and not to buy a separate charger.
As far as I am right you are now going to winter, right? Here we start the summer, so I will also share some pics and vids later on with you ;)

Hope to hear from you soon, dear Marty and many thanks for all your kindness and friendly support!

Cheers,
Edward

If you are happy with 5.8" and 1000 nits, you might consider a Samsung Galaxy S9+. The screen is 6.2" (though it is wider and less tall than the CS) and displaymate.com tested the screen at around 1000 nits. And, you get a functioning Google Play store and a really good camera. Oh, and a phone :)

It probably can't do 1000 nits for a long time due to heat buildup. I am not sure how bright and for how long, buy maybe worth a test drive.

Reactions: Edward_PRO
If you are happy with 5.8" and 1000 nits, you might consider a Samsung Galaxy S9+. The screen is 6.2" (though it is wider and less tall than the CS) and displaymate.com tested the screen at around 1000 nits. And, you get a functioning Google Play store and a really good camera. Oh, and a phone :)

It probably can't do 1000 nits for a long time due to heat buildup. I am not sure how bright and for how long, buy maybe worth a test drive.
Hi dear MLewus :)

many thanks for your comment. I already have a Samsung S8+ because I hate iPhone in fact :D but based on other pilots' experiences I have chosen iPad to control my Mavic Pro as iOS is absolutely reliable and android crashes Nd disconnect really often :(
Now I realized that there is no need for CrystalSky, my iPad is 9.7" is way too much and great enough :) the 5.5 CrystalSky would be a big step backward for me and since this topic posted I contacted some of my friends here by use who have CrystalSky and they also complained that despite the promises from DJI the CS also crashes, disconnects etc. My friend has an Inspire 2 and I have seen with my own eyes that he had many issues to connect the I2 to the CS and CS also did not find GPS sign and so on... so iPad stays not only for postproduction, but for control as well ;) By the way many thanks again

I have a 5.5 and love it ..... not a single issue with it at all

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada