DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

While conducting a Search and Rescue mission, an unexpected heat signature showed up.

jaja6009

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Earlier today, we were conducting a SAR as part of a mutual aid response. A heat signature caught my eye, but upon closer examination it was a deer in the bay marsh. A fat little guy too.

The RGB camera could not see the deer until it was only 20 feet AGL.

Mavic 2 Enterprise Advanced Split Mode

DJI_0803.JPG

RGB
1643077245564.png

Thermal of above RGB

1643077286689.png

Unfortunately we did not find the missing person.

This drone performs SAR very well.

Very Interesting!

The images were too large to post. One thing I do not like about the aircraft is that the 48 MP images are very large in size. This increases time for photogrammetry and I personally do not feel that they are that much better than the camera on the Enterprise Zoom at 12MP. The Advanced's images can be 12-19 MB and the Zoom 4 to 10 MB. You also can only use Auto for camera settings. My Enterprise Zoom has a much more robust camera settings menu and also has a Hyperlight mode that can take a decent low light image.

I am hoping for firmware to solidify the Advanced a little bit more.

Link to images in Google Drive

The aircraft takes both an RGB and thermal image, so the first image is RGB followed by a thermal, except where there is the split screen shot. There are also some thermal images of solar panel arrays and roof moisture scans.

We flew an Autel Evo 2 Dual (Non-radiometric) as well and between the two there was no clear cut winner. Both aircraft had pros and cons. The Autel's Intelligent Flight modes were pretty handy as the Orbit proved to be pretty useful. Either one makes a very good SAR solution. It is really cool that there are a decent amount of 320 and 640 thermal solutions on small aircraft.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121