DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

White House Seeks More Power to Counter use of Drones in U.S. (source AP News)

And yet in the face of that, now they're letting cars drive themselves. Obviously, this is a problem.

Decent argument. There seems to be much comparison of drones with autos. The lesson with cars is that we have made them fairly safe, and provided sort of safe places to use them. What I hope will happen with drones is the same thing. I think it will take another 10 years or so before laws and technology dovetail into a decent solution. At some point, a drone flying into the Whitehouse or a prison won’t be a concern, because it won’t be possible. Hopefully they won’t take the fun out of it for those who fly responsibly. In the short run drone laws are going to be lurch-a-matic.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
I think the word DRONE is really the wrong thing we should be calling ourselves. Drones from a military standpoint are like small unmanned airplanes with bombs. Most of us fly quad-copters right? Maybe if we adopted that terminology more often it would help educate the general public who unfamiliar with what most UAV pilots do. But I guess at this point it's too late since we already have the FAA calling it's own website the Drone Zone.
Plenty of military drones dont carry bombs

If you're already a current licensed pilot, getting the 107 is easy. If you're licensed but not current, go get your BFR! That will be fun all by itself. That's what I did.
I'm a currently licensed pilot (aircraft owner, too). Any pointer to info on how to get that 107 "easily" for licensed pilots? (honestly, it doesn't sound like getting the 107 is all that difficult, but I like "easy" better). Thanks.

I'm a currently licensed pilot (aircraft owner, too). Any pointer to info on how to get that 107 "easily" for licensed pilots? (honestly, it doesn't sound like getting the 107 is all that difficult, but I like "easy" better). Thanks.
You can just take the test without prior training (which you already have). The other option is to add it on to your part 61. I do not know all the details on that addition to the 61 but I’m sure the FAA would be happy to help.

Yeah.

You just register for FAAST and enroll in the course for part 107 for part 61 pilots. https://faasafety.org

You have your BFR to stay current in your part 61 license, and upon completion of the part 107 course just have your flight instructor sign you off. Then the FAA does a little background check on you and you should get a temporary on the course and then later a separate piece of plastic in the mail to go along with your other piece of plastic in the cockpit

Yeah.

You just register for FAAST and enroll in the course for part 107 for part 61 pilots. https://faasafety.org

You have your BFR to stay current in your part 61 license, and upon completion of the part 107 course just have your flight instructor sign you off. Then the FAA does a little background check on you and you should get a temporary on the course and then later a separate piece of plastic in the mail to go along with your other piece of plastic in the cockpit
Thanks, my BFR is current, and I wasn't planning to rub elbows with my CFI for another 18 months or so. I'll follow the link and get 'er done.

BTW, note the significant error in the link posted above. Link should be to:

https://faasafety.gov

note the .gov domain, NOT the similar-looking (but utterly fraudulent) .org domain. My browser warned me that the security cert for the .org domain expired in 2018 (with the FAA I *might* believe that), but the dead giveaway was the banner displaying across the landing page's window offering to sell the domain...ha ha, not how the FAA rolls.

Correct link to the course required for current Part 61 certificate holders to add-on Part 107 is:

Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks, my BFR is current, and I wasn't planning to rub elbows with my CFI for another 18 months or so. I'll follow the link and get 'er done.

Correct link to the course required for current Part 61 certificate holders to add-on Part 107 is:

Thanks.
Took the Part 107 test (Recurrent) online today and passed easily. It's not a difficult test (mostly common sense, though that seems to be in short supply these days). Just one or two questions that were worded a little tricky, and a couple regulation details that required a little memorization. So, Part 107, here I come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took the Part 107 test (Recurrent) online today and passed easily. It's not a difficult test (mostly common sense, though that seems to be in short supply these days). Just one or two questions that were worded a little tricky, and a couple regulation details that required a little memorization. So, Part 107, here I come.
Recurrent? If you don't have part 107, you'll have to take the initial part 107 for part 61 to get the license. It's not part 61 recurrent, it's part 107 recurrent for part 61 guys. But if you just taking a teaser...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest