DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

who controls fly areas

nigel

Reactions
hi i have seen a you tube video of weston super mare and the guy flying was interupted by a councill worker and was told that WSM councill have a no flying of drones over the seaside resort the drone app does not show restrictions so who has overall controll please ??

...the drone app does not show restrictions so who has overall controll please ??
The DJI app have no authority what so ever over any countries airspace... their map can both be right or wrong, falsely preventing or allowing flights. You can not rely on that material alone to judge if it's ok to fly or not, you must look into the official sources regarding flight zones.

For UK it's the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) that decides over the airspace... over that you can also have landowner regulations regarding take-off, landing & operating the drone from their land.

Reactions: Joey Yambor
The DJI app have no authority what so ever over any countries airspace... their map can both be right or wrong, falsely preventing or allowing flights. You can not rely on that material alone to judge if it's ok to fly or not, you must look into the official sources regarding flight zones.

For UK it's the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) that decides over the airspace... over that you can also have landowner regulations regarding take-off, landing & operating the drone from their land.
hi not the dji app its the drone assist app which is programmed by the CAA and we can take of from publicly accesable councill property but not private property , but can fly over private property with a 250 gramm drone not in a CAA no fly zone ?? now the person was flying in a CAA permited fly zone over weston super mare but was told WSM have their own rules for flying drones in thier county. so can they overule the CAA??

Reactions: Torque
The beach may be a prohibited area due to the number of people on it.
As such that would, as I understand things, be in accordance with CAA rules regarding flights over people/crowds although it need not be a defined exclusion zone. There is however something in the back of my mind about beaches being explicitly mentioned in the CAA 'literature'.

That said the land owner has the right to decide that drones can not be launched and or landed from their land. That probably extends to the land owner having the right to refuse permission for the pilot to be on their land whilst flying a drone.

That said, the tidal zone is, I believe, normally "Crown Land" and I recollect that, in general, the Crown permits drones to be flown from the tidal zone though I seem to remember reading of some excluded areas.

As far as I know the CAA govern the airspace but personally I would question the wisdom of flying over a crowded beach even if it is legal to do so. Why, what happens if something goes wrong and the drone comes down on the beach?
There's a fair chance there are quite a few "accustomed to humans" gulls knocking about, on the hunt for edible scraps, and the drone is likely to be in their airspace, not a particularly good combination as far as I am concerned.

If you want a real jaw-dropper of a read: Google 'north Somerset drone policy' and head to the council website. I actually laughed, but perhaps that was more out of shock at the staggering cheek than anything else. The council Johnny was right in what he said. No TOAL on anything considered to be council administered and then it gets silly regarding the pre-conditions should you decide to put in an application.
Checked with Crown Estate foreshore & estuary and the whole of Weston beach is classed as private so you can't even legally use the area between high and low tides for TOAL. But the estuary beach on the spur directly to the south of the main beach is CE:F&E (Crown Estate). Google 'Crown foreshore & estuary' and bookmark their arcgis map.... You'd be surprised how useful it ends up being if you visit the coast regularly.

Interesting and sad at the same time...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1