DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who's crashed their DJI FPV drone already?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I didn't see any other category to post this...

I'm not trolling but seriously curious as to how many of you bought the FPV drone and crashed it already? Who purchased one close to the release, flown it extensively and not had a crash? If you crashed it, how much previous flying experience did you have at the time?

I'm just curious. I'm currently sticking my toe in the water with FPV immersion with VR goggles and find it exciting and scary at the same time. It looks like tons of fun but also looks fragile as (Mod Removed Language) I looked at the DJI care/refresh costs and had to gulp.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought one when it first came out and love it, I do baby it but as a FPV drone not as my Air2.

I nailed some straggle in first few days flying up and not paying attention. Ejected the battery got it muddy and broke a prop.

Otherwise I have very much enjoyed the done itself but I also have other "FPV" drones im way harder on and actually fly in full manual so...

Well look at the bottom of the page we have 15 forums. ?
I have not seen this asked over on the FPV forum and this thread is still active so I’ll answer here.
I’m pretty new at drones and got the MA2 in November , sold it and bought the FPV about a month ago.LOVE IT! Much more fun in my estimation! And no, I have not crashed it.... yet!?

Reactions: RMS001 and dirkclod
I bought one when it first came out and love it, I do baby it but as a FPV drone not as my Air2.

I nailed some straggle in first few days flying up and not paying attention. Ejected the battery got it muddy and broke a prop.

Otherwise I have very much enjoyed the done itself but I also have other "FPV" drones im way harder on and actually fly in full manual so...
Yes, I’ve crashed my FPV many times, every time I fly it in Manuel mode, but if you stay high in the air, that’s how I’ve avoided crashing it, and as you start to learn how to fly it in M mode, you can get closer to the ground, sport mode is really fun, but switching to M mode is a whole different experience.

Yes, I’ve crashed my FPV many times, every time I fly it in Manuel mode, but if you stay high in the air, that’s how I’ve avoided crashing it, and as you start to learn how to fly it in M mode, you can get closer to the ground, sport mode is really fun, but switching to M mode is a whole different experience.
So you said you crashed it many times, and then you didn't... I'm lost.

One of these days I will try that manual mode!

First few times I tried manual freestyle mode, it was exhilirating. Loops, rolls, dives. It was fantastic. Then, even after more work on the sim and in sportmode, it was almost back to the repair shop. I did a loop and then a roll at 400 feet. Normally I brake between maneuvers but this time something went wrong and I went straight into a roll, during which the drone started to slip. Everything went pear shaped incredibly quickly. I pulled out with about 2 metres to spare at well over 100Ks/hr .

As things started to go wrong, I pushed the brake button, but nothing seemed to happen. I somehow corrected it myself a milisecond before impact. Dont ask me how, brain panic, muscle memory and lady luck combined into the correct action. (Possible) brake non response being investigated by a friend at DJI. My own feeling is I had insufficient throttle when rolling, so she ended up doing a side slip then stalled. From great flight at 400 feet to almost hit the ground in 8 seconds.

Mistake 1: I didn't follow my own advice of start in normal, switch to S mode then go manual which forces you to centre the sticks and take stock of your height, attitude etc.
Mistake 2: I didnt brake after each maneuver and recenter the sticks and myself.

Mistake 3: I had accidentally left the switch in manual mode from the last days flight. I also had limiters turned off. The flight didn't feel right from the moment I took off but I (yes stupidly) continued. In my own defence a vehicle drove past me just as I was preparing for takeoff and I watched it to checked out where it was heading.

Lesson learnt?
I always set a maximum range. For my level of experience, that's the correct thing to do.​
I had scouted the area prior to flight for people and vehicles. Good job I did as there could have been a serious accident. The site (a very large park) was completely clear when I arrived. It reinforced my policy of flying the FPV in manual when people are at work and kids at school​
If it doesn't feel right, land straight away if possible. Work out the issue on the ground not in the air.​
You need a very large open and empty space to fly freestyle as (at least for my level of experience) it is dangerous not to do so.​
Check your controller settings before you take of, Simple I know but easily forgotten if distracted.​
Put controller settings back to standard after flying.​
I did some checking on the internet. At 140k/hr the kinetic energy of the DJI FPV is apparently 526 foot pounds, That is an awful lot of "head whack" for some unsuspecting person on the ground.​
3 days later I still think of the ïncident"" and at what could have happened. Hopefully, people learn from what I did wrong, but also what I did right. Top of my mind was safety, safety, safety. It worked.​
I will try freeestyle again one day, but right now, I will stick to limited manual at height, and simulator freestyle, its safer, you have more time to respond and brake, less potential hassle and I get to sleep at night.

Last edited:
Later checking of the flight log showed that I was correct in thinking that something was wrong from the beginning. Reviewing of the flight showed that a stick position error message flashed up briefly on the goggles screen right before takeoff, exactly at the moment I lifted the goggles up to check on where the car was going, so I missed it.

Instead of relying solely on the input from my spotter, I lifted the goggles to look for myself.
Another lesson, if the motors are on, the focus must be on the goggles.

Also, my great chumps of fingers didn't press the brake button, but the mode button. Because I hadn't recentered both the drone and myself as previously stated after the roll, my fingers were sufficiently misplaced to miss the brake. In that 3-4 seconds of "what's going on confusion" I didn't notice it.

All this is leading me to the conclusion that, at least for me, the DJI FPV is a total focus drone. Its the concentration difference between a city run around vehicle, and a pre-fly by wire era fighter jet, something like the English Electric Lightening.

One of my pet dislikes about both the fly and go 4 apps is the very short time that some advisory and error messages stay on the screen. I often wish there was a way to extend the period they are visible.

For those who are interested: The English Electric lightening non fly by wire fighter. In the 60s, I used to watch these aircraft fly in the Royal Air Forces Blue Diamonds aerobatic squadron as a kid from the local military air base. Probably one reason why I joined up later on

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998