DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

why all the anger to registering your drone

i find it a tad strange, that so many people here in the UK, and in other parts of the world get so worked up about drone registration,and paying a charge for it
if i want to do anything recreational in this day and age there is a cost of some sort if i go fishing i need a licence or permit, if i want to drive a vehicle i need a licence,i even have to pay to park my car if i want to fly in my local council park
everything we do today has a cost, to achieve the end result, its the way of the world ,we are taxed by the back door in so many ways and it isnt going to change any time soon

Great analogy, everything in life comes at a cost.

I can't even get my garden waste bin emptied without paying the council nowadays!!

I got my Operator ID the same evening I purchased my drone, the way I looked at is this way...

Fork out £1300 on a gadget, first flight a random bloke walks up to me and asks me do I have my Operator permit to hand, I reply no, he either gives me a fine or seizes my drone for not following the regulations. Do I have a leg to stand on? Nah my own fault.

Or...

I fork out £9 and if the day comes when I get asked, I respond "Oh sure let me pull my operator ID email up and show you my ID clearly on display on the arm of my drone"

Reactions: old man mavic
Having flown model aircraft for over 60 years in the UK and abroad, I am very peeved that, due to the stupid actions of a very small minority, I am now restricted to a very small area, here in Tenerife, and have to subject myself to rules and restrictions set by people who appear to have no knowledge or interest in my life hobby. Their rules and restrictions will have no effect on the clever clowns who think they don't apply to them.

@BlackViperXI exactly thats the point i was making

@Steve Murray that is correct i totally agree with you all of us who fly safely and responsibly are having to suffer because of the explosion of unsafe drone use

First your complaining about government (big Brother watching you) then you want the government to baby sit you for your mistakes....lol
They can take the I.R.S approach and contact you with a fine assuming you lost your drone due to illegal flying, will that make you feel better.
What the heck are you talking about . Who's complaining about them watching us, who 's asking them to baby sit . If your going to make stupid statements get your stuff in one bag first.

What the heck are you talking about . Who's complaining about them watching us, who 's asking them to baby sit . If your going to make stupid statements get your stuff in one bag first.

First off, if you can't handle being spot lighted stay out of the conversation.
Your statement of complaining about why the FAA can't contact people that have lost their drone, smacks of you wanting the government to be a nanny to your own mistakes.
1. How many fly aways happen purely out of malfunction? most happen due to pilot error/flying beyond the limits of the drone/system.
2. Did any of these people you speak of report their mishap to the FAA? probably most would not want to admit their own misuse
3. If so many drones have fly away issues, then it would be a major out cry against the manufacturer? and that does not seem to be the issues either

My comment about the government watching is the main argument from those that are oppose to registration, that comment was pointed at those that fall in that camp

Last edited:
Anybody that's registered in the UK (I haven't) should have read this :-
Where you can fly | UK Civil Aviation Authority

The part I'm reading is ~45% down the page:-

Never fly closer to built-up and busy areas than 150m.
Never fly above these areas at any height.
Examples of built-up and busy areas:
  • cities and towns
  • villages
  • beaches and recreational parks that are part of a city, town or village
  • housing estates
  • schools and offices
  • retail, warehouse, industrial and business parks
  • theme parks
the park i fly at covers many acres with different terrain it is on the site of a pit and was built as a memorial to the miners who lost their lives in the area,i am on very good terms with the park rangers who oversee the site ,and often if i am flying at the time, help them locate lost pets when people cant find their dog and it has disappeared into the surrounding farm land of course i would not fly there if there was some sort of event going on,the list you refer to is just examples of such places

Anybody that's registered in the UK (I haven't) should have read this :-
Where you can fly | UK Civil Aviation Authority

The part I'm reading is ~45% down the page:-

Never fly closer to built-up and busy areas than 150m.
Never fly above these areas at any height.
Examples of built-up and busy areas:
  • cities and towns
  • villages
  • beaches and recreational parks that are part of a city, town or village
  • housing estates
  • schools and offices
  • retail, warehouse, industrial and business parks
  • theme parks
Hi Is there anywhere left where we can fly???

Hi I'm not bitching about registration or the £9 I paid but get this 3 months before November when we most of us registered they the CAA were already working on shifting the goal posts, with this thing coming out in I think July 2020 what does that tell you, I would like to bet you it will be a lot more expensive than £9 so its going to become a tax where those that can afford it will have a little space somewhere and read above to work out where you will eventually fly.

Where are you? If you are in the UK there is a database and map of places where people have flown, do fly and advice on getting there and videos, pics of what is there.

I have asked my wife and she says: "size (or weight) is not everything".
So, I was wondering whether we need to register a drone swarm clustering 1024 units with one controller and weighing 50g each.
A little technicality which might make a difference - each unit bears a needle with a few micro-grams of a paralytic drug which can paralyse 1024 men in less than 5 minutes).
I do not suppose the government would be interested in my drone swarm, would they? they are only toys.
Bee swarms look like choir boys compared to my swarm though.

• Haha
Reactions: Recoveryone
the park i fly at covers many acres with different terrain it is on the site of a pit and was built as a memorial to the miners who lost their lives in the area,i am on very good terms with the park rangers who oversee the site ,and often if i am flying at the time, help them locate lost pets when people cant find their dog and it has disappeared into the surrounding farm land of course i would not fly there if there was some sort of event going on,the list you refer to is just examples of such places

So you get to pick and choose which part of the rules you stick to, but berate those who do the same?

no you are totally wrong there ,that list is examples of built up areas where there are more than 1000,people present,and i said i would not fly there if there was an organised gathering of some sort happening in the park, it is quite ok to fly along a deserted beach, but not if it was covered in hundreds of people, and when i do fly at the park it is mostly in the week and i follow the 50m rule and dont hover over people,it would be impossible to fly directly over any of the places on that list,because the max height you can fly is 120m and the exclusion zone is 150m from them but if i was more than 150m from the beach or park or buildings then i would not be breaking the rules

the 150m rule in the new drone code has made it impossible to fly in any built up area and was designed to stop people flying in cities and large towns not over the odd dwelling or person that happens to live out in the countryside you just need to use common sense and you can fly in many many places

The list says nothing about 1000 people. The part regarding crowds is below that list.

It gives examples of what it defines as a "built up and busy area", one of those areas is "beaches and recreational parks that are part of a city, town or village".

Preceded by "Never fly above these areas at any height."
Any height presumably means from zero to infinity.

The list says nothing about 1000 people. The part regarding crowds is below that list.

It gives examples of what it defines as a "built up and busy area", one of those areas is "beaches and recreational parks that are part of a city, town or village".

Preceded by "Never fly above these areas at any height."
Any height presumably means from zero to infinity.
My take on any height is the 120m ceiling

Attachments

• 64F24B24-06D2-4CC4-AEFE-6F3B997B54FE.jpeg
    64F24B24-06D2-4CC4-AEFE-6F3B997B54FE.jpeg
    326.1 KB · Views: 6
you are just trying to get me to respond with a rude remark,of course it means that but we already know there is a maximum height of 120m that we are allowed to fly at so it would not be possible to fly at 150m anyway and still be legal and the part about crowds is subject to the same restrictions

I'm doing no such thing.

I'm trying to understand how anybody can fly anywhere without breaking one of those rules, or applying for an exception.

The way I see it, I've bought my son a gift that we shouldn't be using.

As it is, we flew on the park on Wednesday and on a farmer's field today.

Luckily it's just a toy, weighing 183g. However I think it's MUCH more dangerous than a 1kg-5kg DJI product, because when it loses signal it shuts down and drops out of the sky.
That said, it's not about what I think that matters, it's the word of the CAA that matters, and as written, I probably shouldn't have been flying either location.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife