DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why are my 4K recordings maxing out at 3.67GB?

The fact Fat32 has a 4GB limit is not the issue here. Feel free to try yourself on an exFAT volume. The limitation is the AVI file container structure, 32bit internal memory addressing. Obviously it is not a DJI specific issue either.
I don't think it uses an AVI container. Manual and software shows only MP4 and MOV as does the software.

I don't think it uses an AVI container. Manual and software shows only MP4 and MOV as does the software.
Ok- container issue, not necessarily AVI (although the problem is common to both). DJI probably using some freeware/open source encoder. Wasn’t until 2019 we saw this 4GB limit removed from android devices- an arbitrary limitation not file volume specific.

As others have said, join in post don't downgrade the quality of your video....

Reactions: Thomas B
Ok- container issue, not necessarily AVI (although the problem is common to both). DJI probably using some freeware/open source encoder. Wasn’t until 2019 we saw this 4GB limit removed from android devices- an arbitrary limitation not file volume specific.
Yeah, it's pretty arbitrary from camera to camera. My GoPro splits files at 4 gig even though it formats the SD card to exFAT and saves to MP4, which doesn't require a 4GB limit either. I suspect that the video recording devs and the hardware/SD card devs aren't communicating well.

Professional videographers and film/movie makers will rarely have a continuous scene that lasts more than 20 seconds. I don’t understand the need for a 20 minute drone flight as a continuous video. Join the files in post processing. It will be seamless should you desire such.

Having the ability to record 4K/60 fps and back to 2.7/60...do not do it. The video longer than 5 minutes will be splited again, so you will not have something better here, but you will lose the amazing 4K/60 video...just use some software and join the parts...
Hi, I don't understand, why not just format the sd card in FTFS? I format all my sd cards for my Mavic 2 Pro and works really well.
Check this link out abut NTFS and how to use it. Simple questions: What is FAT32 and why is it useful? | Digital Citizen

I think you're bumping into the max file size on the SD card.
That's correct. The file system is FAT and has a maximum size almost exactly what the OP stated. FAT is the standard format which is used with SD cards and if NTFS is used (not sure it can be), the drone wouldn't recognize it. It also applied to earlier computers and hard drives so you were limited to maximum file sizes even using a hard drive in those "old days".

Reactions: Tentoes
That's correct. The file system is FAT and has a maximum size almost exactly what the OP stated. FAT is the standard format which is used with SD cards and if NTFS is used (not sure it can be), the drone wouldn't recognize it. It also applied to earlier computers and hard drives so you were limited to maximum file sizes even using a hard drive in those "old days".
DJI drones also support ExFAT format which, as you might know, does not have the 4GB limitation applicable to FAT. Given it has been demonstrated that ExFAT does not allow for any increase in file size you can be confident that your assumption on this occasion is incorrect.

The fact Fat32 has a 4GB limit is not the issue here. Feel free to try yourself on an exFAT volume. The limitation is the AVI file container structure, 32bit internal memory addressing. Obviously it is not a DJI specific issue either.
Then how is it possible that one can stitch the files together using an editor, if AVI has the limitation?

You need to reformat your SD card in exfat format instead of fat32. Your PC may or may not allow you to do this. If not, use a tool like this (for PC) SD Card Formatter & How Do I Format SD Card Quickly.

Once I reformatted to exfat, all of my videos were in one nice file rather than the 4GB.
DJI and Windows automatically format cards greater than 32GB as ExFAT, but the videos are still files less than 4GB.

I believe it's a matter of code using lowest common denominator across the board.
ExFAT supports files greater than 4GB, but FAT32 format is used for storage 32GB or less and that does have the 4GB limitation.

It's also possible that the code used for encoding AVI uses a 32 bit AVI format that has the 4GB limitation.

Or a combination of both.

P.S, it's not just 4K videos limited to 4GB files. It depends on resolution, frame rate, bit rate and length. I get split files even with 1080p@30fps.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead