DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why can't Active track track a large dog but it can a person or vehicle......

VenomXts

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Titles says it all, was wondering if anyone else found away around this... have an Saint bernard and really want to use him as a test subject but I'm not getting any luck and just that message when I'm locking on him in different ways. Hopefully future update adds feature?

Edited : added screen capture of issues

Last edited:
Does it give you any messages? Tracking uses the vision sensors so if the dog is blending into the background it won't track, or is the dog is too far away it will not function either. But sometimes it gives you a message as to why.

Does it give you any messages? Tracking uses the vision sensors so if the dog is blending into the background it won't track, or is the dog is too far away it will not function either. But sometimes it gives you a message as to why.
Literally just tells me it's only for.people and vehicles... dog is saint bernard color with green grass and a rust orange fence he isnt blending in to anything... i will try to get a screenshot (hard to do when phone is in control mount).

Try recording your screen instead of taking a screenshot. Depending on your mobile device, it should be ezpz.

Hi vis coat or vest on the dog, as a trial, perhaps. Could the software possibly have shapes programmed into it? If so WOW!

Literally just tells me it's only for.people and vehicles... dog is saint bernard color with green grass and a rust orange fence he isnt blending in to anything... i will try to get a screenshot (hard to do when phone is in control mount).
Lol this is not true at all.
I’ve active tracked random objects several times.

Yes, the software can automatically recognise the shape of people, cars and boats etc. For other objects, use the screen to drag a frame around the object you want to track.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Tracking dogs has also been hit and miss with DJI (and more miss than hit).
The way DJI explained Active Track 2.0 (and I assume 3 is similar) is that it is pre-programmed to recognize different objects (DJI has said 16 of them in Active Track 2.0, although I don't know that anyone has seen a list of what the 16 are, although we know people, cars and boats are included) and has different algorithms on how to track those programmed items.

I believe, outside of those items, you need really good contrast. I've seen some video of an all white dog tracked decently on green grass. You've got a multi-colored dog, and the shots against the brown fence aren't going to work. Thought you might have better luck against the grass, but didn't seem like it. Dogs are hard, because as they move, their shapes are always different. Add in a multi-colored dog where the color pattern changes with every movement, and it I don't think you'll have too much success.

As already noted here, you probably will have some better luck if you can get a solid color high-contrast vest on the dog.

I appreciate the response, it is very intresting on the 16 things I had a feeling it had some backend thing working there that needed AI input. I will give the vest a shot, could be the backyard is just bust location for this I want to take it out to a off leash area and give it a go.

I think that's because if the object is too small. The drone need be closer to the object in order to differentiate it from the background clearly. Getting that close may be unsafe. E.g. if the object suddenly stopped moving, the brake distance may not be enough.

It will be interesting if you can get someone to pretend to be a dog and see if the drone still refuses to track the person. ?

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
I think that's because if the object is too small. The drone need be closer to the object in order to differentiate it from the background clearly. Getting that close may be unsafe. E.g. if the object suddenly stopped moving, the brake distance may not be enough.

It will be interesting if you can get someone to pretend to be a dog and see if the drone still refuses to track the person. ?
I dont think its that if you see video im.in a couple different distances lol. Also finaly a reason to hire a furry....

I would expect Active Track to require a clear profile of a subject filmed against a clean contrasting background that is a repeatable image, something that it can compare its capture against. It may have a preset range of object shapes and types, but to try to track a dog with a curled tail lying on grass after it stands up and then has a completely different profile sounds like a big ask. Try filming in an open park and come in closer at the height and angle that you want, to give the camera a better starting image to fill more of the frame. And if you will be following the dog (not out to the side), then that is more of the profile that I would be trying. Also try the circling and dronie modes in a park, as a further test.

Reactions: VenomXts
I got that same error message when I tried to track a friends' large (700 sized) gasoline powered RC Helicopter at our local flying field.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greg190