DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why can't I take photos along a mission route while using video?

marklyn

Reactions
I have a Litchi route that I fly regularly to check a construction project. I have two Litchi missions that are identical routes except the 2nd mission turns off video and takes a snap shot at each waypoint.
Is this a software "thing" or is this a limitation (no way around) of using the camera to video record so you can't use it to snap a photo during that function thing?
The workaround of course is the two missions but if it is possible one day to allow uninterrupted video while also taking a snapshot, that would be very handy.
Anyone know the reasons/details of this?

probably because the photo mode uses a different format to video and only one at a time can be in use plus the fact that the single camera can only perform one task at a time

I was thinking it might be that simple. Guess I had faith in technology that we could do both in this day and age :)

Reactions: old man mavic
If you want to get into editing you can always grab still frames from the video that was taken at certain intervals. It sounds like you have already developed your workflow and this would most likely add more time to it.

I thought about that but it would probably be too difficult to grab the exact same location each time. This is for a project where I will show progress from the same angle/height, etc., for each time I fly. There are about 10 waypoints so I think I'll just continue to use a 2nd mission just for photos.

I have a Litchi route that I fly regularly to check a construction project. I have two Litchi missions that are identical routes except the 2nd mission turns off video and takes a snap shot at each waypoint.
Is this a software "thing" or is this a limitation (no way around) of using the camera to video record so you can't use it to snap a photo during that function thing?
The workaround of course is the two missions but if it is possible one day to allow uninterrupted video while also taking a snapshot, that would be very handy.
Anyone know the reasons/details of this?
That is a hardware limitation with the Mavic. You can take photos even while filming video with an Inspire 2.

bummer. I would have really liked to be able to do this.

First of all, you must use "straight lines" in the settings for this option to work. Secondly, add "stay for" before and after. For example:
Under actions
"stop recording"
"stay for" 5 sec
"Take photo"
"Stay for" 5 sec
"Start Video"

I have found this sequence to work fine.

Try this, let me know if it works for you.

First of all, you must use "straight lines" in the settings for this option to work. Secondly, add "stay for" before and after. For example:
Under actions
"stop recording"
"stay for" 5 sec
"Take photo"
"Stay for" 5 sec
"Start Video"

I have found this sequence to work fine.

Try this, let me know if it works for you.
That is precisely what the OP is trying to avoid. The OP wants to record a smooth continuous video from start to finish while taking photos at the same time.

Reactions: marklyn
That is precisely what the OP is trying to avoid. The OP wants to record a smooth continuous video from start to finish while taking photos at the same time.

Then the answer is NO

You can pull 8MP stills out of your 4K footage, which isn't ideal but not too bad either. On the plus side, you're getting 30 of those frames per second, so you can pick precisely the frame you want.

Reactions: Thomas B
You can pull 8MP stills out of your 4K footage, which isn't ideal but not too bad either. On the plus side, you're getting 30 of those frames per second, so you can pick precisely the frame you want.
Thanks. But the easier solution for me is to duplicate the flight in Litchi Mission and turn the 2nd flight into a photo only flight taking photos are each waypoint. That way I don't need to fish through 16 waypoint stops to find the right angle/shot of previous shots. I had just hoped that the M2Pro could do what I've read other drones could do in this respect.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zack400