DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

why can't mavic have tello's indoor stability

shb

Reactions
I just got my tello, and it flies great indoors. it stays where you put it. but i've tried to fly my mavic indoors twice, and both times it crashed. the mavic has downward
cameras too, so why isn't it stable indoors. tello video drops frames A LOT

The Tello has no gps system to kick in and take primary control of the drone. The turbulence caused by the down draft bouncing off the various surfaces in an indoor environment with the Tello is going to be much smaller than with the bigger heavier Mavic.

The Tello has no gps system to kick in and take primary control of the drone. The turbulence caused by the down draft bouncing off the various surfaces in an indoor environment with the Tello is going to be much smaller than with the bigger heavier Mavic.

Makes sense. The Mavic displaces alot more air with the size of the props versus my little bee swarm of a Tello.

The Tello has a surprising amount of down draft, and proportionate to it's weight, it's probably more susceptible to drift from it, yet stays put (or fights it really well - same with wind).

I agree - the Mavic should utilize the downward sensors and cameras far better than it does with no GPS.

I tried my Mavic Pro indoors too and cannot complain about position hold.
Just ensure there is enough light and a structured floor.

Reactions: Montypaks
I have no issues with indoor flight at all with my mavic pro
so when you take off it just stays put? I have a metal roof. maybe your
roof is letting GPS in. how many satellites do you have?

For precision positioning below certain height, Mavic uses the downward sensors (flow sensors) to read the floor movement and correct the position. If the lighting is not enough or the floor is reflectible or have no "pattern" it may not read correctly and drift.
Maybe tello sensors works in a different way.

I fly my MP indoors quite a bit inside of a large dock-high warehouse facility and have had zero issues with stability - it is so good I can walk away and leave the MP hovering and it stays put rock solid about as well as being in GPS mode. I have OA turned off and being indoors it is also in atti mode of course. This warehouse facility has very large amounts of large steel roofing beams and I imagine the concrete floor also has tons of large rebar in it - so I have always been quite impressed with the MP's indoor abilities given all of the metal and magnetic interference potential. Not sure why you would be having such poor results, doesn't seem right to me.

I fly my MP indoors quite a bit inside of a large dock-high warehouse facility and have had zero issues with stability - it is so good I can walk away and leave the MP hovering and it stays put rock solid about as well as being in GPS mode. I have OA turned off and being indoors it is also in atti mode of course. This warehouse facility has very large amounts of large steel roofing beams and I imagine the concrete floor also has tons of large rebar in it - so I have always been quite impressed with the MP's indoor abilities given all of the metal and magnetic interference potential. Not sure why you would be having such poor results, doesn't seem right to me.
what do you mean have oa turned off?

what do you mean have oa turned off?
Obstacle avoidance. .^^^^

I like this Tello...it holds real well and very stable indoors....fun to fly indoors since it's been raining outside.. I fly it in my office lol.1521686056783.jpg

GPS has nothing to do with indoor flying.

I just got my tello, and it flies great indoors. it stays where you put it. but i've tried to fly my mavic indoors twice, and both times it crashed. the mavic has downward
cameras too, so why isn't it stable indoors. tello video drops frames A LOT
The tello was designed to be an indoor toy. The Mavic was designed to be a portable long range flying camera. If you have a very bright room with contrasting colors on the floor, the Optical sensors on the Mavic can hold it steady. The issue is the switching between modes as the GPS signal slips in and out, this makes it harder to control, so most people choose not to do it.

I like this Tello...it holds real well and very stable indoors....fun to fly indoors since it's been raining outside.. I fly it in my office lol.View attachment 34127[/QUOTE]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.
I obviously need to get a Tello - so when weeks go by and I can't fly the MP for one reason or the other, I can break out the Tello and buzz the offices around here - heck yeah. Think I will go buy one right now.

I have no issues with indoor flight at all with my Mavic pro

I did something stupid, not certain exactly what I did wrong but . . . A couple of days ago I had updated firmware to latest and went to fly at a local sports park with huge open areas (at least 5 soccer fields). When I turned everything on I had a red triangle error. I looked and it was a Vision sensor and the downward vision sensor needed calibration. I Googled the error and elected to fly since the field didn't pose any risk. I set the RTH to hover during one of the landings.

Shelter is about 15' square with a picnic table in center, 4 corners are approximately 4" pipe and roof is sheet metal. After a couple of batteries I elected to land on the table instead of the grass. I came in at about 4' - 5' and started to land and the MPP started to go up and forward. (not real fast but not slow either) Prop hit the metal side of the roof, (~8') bounced back and fell onto the seat then cement floor.

Obvious was one prop tip broken, three scuffed (trashed all 4). No cracks, scratches and nothing obvious with gimble. Battery stayed in. I put new props on and took it out in the center of the field, It flew normal but I noticed the camera screen did not have the feed from the camera. there is a plastic L shaped tab that looks like the tip is broken off.

Without uploading the logs, what likely caused the crash? MPP is in transit for repair. I can upload them when it returns but I figure it was something I should have know.

What caused the motors to shut down when it crashed.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
Can't blame an apple for not being a pear.
The Tello is NOT a DJI product at all, and is based on non-DJI proprietary technology. DJI is only the marketeer of the Tello.

I see no reason to try to fly a Mavic in an enclosed space at all, unless a large facility like a warehouse with high ceilings. Even then, the Mavic is meant for high in the sky outdoor venues. Small drones do better indoors. And the Tello fits that category better than any. Wow. (just has those darn brushed motors)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15