DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

why can't mavic have tello's indoor stability

I just got my tello, and it flies great indoors. it stays where you put it. but i've tried to fly my mavic indoors twice, and both times it crashed. the mavic has downward
cameras too, so why isn't it stable indoors. tello video drops frames A LOT

The Mavic Pro does not have the same light sensitivity as the Spark. I cant fly my Mavic Pro in my kitchen but the Spark flies everywhere in my house with no stability issues.

Can even FPV around the House using the DJI goggles.

I use my Sparks for all indoor filming.

I've flown my MP in my garage several times in tripod mode. It works beautifully, atti or gps mode. I have a textured floor too. Tripod mode slows things down enough to really make it simple to move around with confidence.

Be careful indoors; make sure to set up all the autonomous behaviors to be as benign as possible. Turn off all the sensors except the optical position hold (landing protection, collision avoidance etc.). Set the lost contact to hover, and turn off the low battery return home. The last thing you want is the machine responding as if it was out in the open.

Reactions: BJR981S
GPS has nothing to do with indoor flying.

I beg to differ.

When mavic transitions between gps/vision mode it does not respond properly to stick inputs. While flying indoors sometimes mavic will acquire enough satellites to switch to gps mode.

Here is an example of the opposite. Mavic was in gps mode, lost signal and transitioned to vision:

I beg to differ.

When mavic transitions between gps/vision mode it does not respond properly to stick inputs. While flying indoors sometimes mavic will acquire enough satellites to switch to gps mode.

Here is an example of the opposite. Mavic was in gps mode, lost signal and transitioned to vision:

If you are in low light it will try to transition to vision, fail and fly into the nearest obstacle.

The Mavic Pro is the worst drone for Indoor flight. Spark is Best, Mavic Air second. They will operate in low light. If you move your Mavic Pro to where the floor is in shadow it will lose its vision positioning very quickly.

I have tested this many, many times and its not particular to my Mavic Pro as I have 2 of them they both behave the same. The you lose GPS and Vision indoors in a constrained environment the Mavic Pro is too responsive to fly safely in manual.

Also transitioning from vision to GPS indoors is extremely dangerous as it will start to fly in GPS with the minimum of accuracy. This cost me my first set of props. Just trying to hover indoors to test my DJI Googles when they arrived.

Once it loses the Plot. GPS and Vision, it will just go (Continue) in the direction it was last commanded. Not drift mind you, but at the speed you last commanded.

The Spark indoors is unbelievable in low level (Artificial) light.

Cheers

Reactions: tarm4d

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hussy112233