DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why do i get 5.8 Ghz (ONLY)

silverdragon

Reactions
This is my 2nd MM. The first had 5.8ghz only also the 2nd unit. I am wondering what happened to the 2.4ghz. Is it my Geographical area? did I get 2 defective units? Please let me know why its 5 8 ghz only. I live in the United States and my return to store date is approaching...

This is my 2nd MM. The first had 5.8ghz only also the 2nd unit. I am wondering what happened to the 2.4ghz. Is it my Geographical area? did I get 2 defective units? Please let me know why its 5 8 ghz only. I live in the United States and my return to store date is approaching...
@silverdragon i guess that it could be due to the fact that the US spec models only have 5.8 ghz

Last edited:
Reactions: scro
5.8Ghz in the US has better range than 2.4Ghz in the EU and also isn't affected by WiFi interference, there's no reason you would use 2.4Ghz in the US, so DJI didn't put 2.4Ghz support on the US version as it is not required.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
5.8Ghz in the US has better range than 2.4Ghz in the EU and also isn't affected by WiFi interference, there's no reason you would use 2.4Ghz in the US, so DJI didn't put 2.4Ghz support on the US version as it is not required.
Ok, I knew there were a logical explanation, thanks..

YET...

Hopefully for several years still, but its only a matter of time right!

5.8Ghz will never be affected by WiFi interference, even next-gen WiFi uses 60Ghz. Current common WiFi uses 2.4 and 5Ghz (800Mhz difference from 5.8Ghz so no interference there)
It is very unlikely that WiFi will ever use 5.8Ghz so it is also very unlikely 5.8Ghz will ever be affected by WiFi interference.

5.8Ghz will never be affected by WiFi interference, even next-gen WiFi uses 60Ghz. Current common WiFi uses 2.4 and 5Ghz (800Mhz difference from 5.8Ghz so no interference there)
It is very unlikely that WiFi will ever use 5.8Ghz so it is also very unlikely 5.8Ghz will ever be affected by WiFi interference.
Oh... well learn something new every day.

I didnt realize they spaced the 5.8Ghz channels that wide. Good on them!

Forgive my possible misunderstanding here. I get what your saying about the channel spacing preventing traffic cross-over (ie: interference) like on 2.4G, but what about channel congestion? Wont that still cause interference since theres a limited number of channels, or does 5.8G have a vast number of channels as well?

Thx for any clarification.

Cheers

Oh crap. Please forgive me, I just realized that I was confusing the 5Ghz standard WIFI with the 5.8Ghz you guys are talking about. Wow.

Im going to delete my last post.

What are you talking about, the drone clearly shows the channel number used by 802.11ac radios (and a I believe). It only shows a limited few of the available channels (and only the upper ones) but I have my home wifi APs with a couple on the highest channel the mini can use. Just take a second an look at List of WLAN channels - Wikipedia

149-165 are used because they are allowed to be used outdoors where most of the others not available for selection on the controller are for indoor and/or low power use.

Due to wifi I only have 1 clear channel available for flying the mini. You will see the channel numbers from the controller match those in the table for 802.11ac, so yes, wifi uses 5.8GHz and has for a long time now. Next gen wifi (you mean wifi 6?) uses frequencies 5.925-7.125 GHz in the USA, but supports other standards so will still use between 5.1-5.8 where allowed

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661