DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why do you use multiple drones?

Why do some people own multiple drones? You only use the best drone you own all the time right? So what use case do you have for owning multiple drones?
different drones have different flight characteristics, and because of their size,then some of them might be unsuitable in certain situations, and therefore it is nice to be able to have a choice of drones to use and this is even more important for commercial pilots ,

What he said .
Always have a back up !
Always have a back up plan if you run into an issue.
Always have a back up cord and so on. Thumbswayup

I agree with what has been said, no matter how you slice it, no single drone is the best platform for all occasions, and depending on what we need from them in terms of imagery and operations, having multiple drones allows you to cover more bases as well as having a backup.

I even considered another MA2 as backup, It just fits in a good price point for me, along with size.
Plus I could take a friend with me flying.

Reactions: old man mavic
I guess if you get right down to it it's why people own more than one car - personal preference.

It’s like the old saying goes. Do I need 10 drones or do I want 10 drones. [emoji41]
If I had 10 drones I would have to have a back up house to
live in the wife would kill me.?

different drones have different flight characteristics, and because of their size,then some of them might be unsuitable in certain situations, and therefore it is nice to be able to have a choice of drones to use and this is even more important for commercial pilots ,
I fly a Mavic 2 Zoom which I am very happy with, but I still would like a Mavic 2 Pro. Great backup and I would have battery and support equipment interchangeability.

I don’t even want to think how many craft I have. But for the last 10 years or so I’m always trying to keep up with technology. 2 reasons, one that I’m involved in training, and two, I’m prob just wired that way, mobile phones I’m the same.
The other comment could be made that I could sell the older drones. I tried that once and sold one the first inspires. The bloke who bought it had issues with it as he has no experience and basically caused his own issues (running the controller with no antennas being one error amongst many). He got a fantastic deal. An inspire, 2 controlllers (one modded it’s boosted antennas), both cameras for the inspire one, hard case to store drone in landing config with props on, 6 batteries and the smart charging base. All this for $1000. This was 2 years ago so I believe a very good price. Next thing I know he is giving me a repair bill and became very aggressive about me paying it. I contacted the repairer who told me what happened - pilot error. So I refuse to pay this guy anything. He is threatening to contact my employer and complain. Totally unrelated to drones. I get a mate at CASA call me and say that someone anonymously reported me for flying over crowds. Luckily I am known to CASA and have a good reputation so they took me at my word that it was ********.
sorry for long story, but point is, I’ll never sell a second hand drone again. I’d rather throw it in the trash than go through all that again.

so that’s why I have a heap of drones.

What he said .
Always have a back up !
Always have a back up plan if you run into an issue.
Always have a back up cord and so on. Thumbswayup
Are you Batman?

Reactions: dirkclod
I have a few because I don’t sell my old ones when I upgrade. I’ve generally gone for size and portability over technical wizardry too, so as smaller models come out they’ve appealed more. For me, DJI peaked with the original Air, so I use that most. I never fly my Phantoms as they’re getting old and bulky. I still use my original Mavic now and then, and my Spark is still very much fun to fly. I’m thinking about buying a M2Zoom next.

Reactions: Lionfish
I enjoy building drones so have a large collection of older school drones that fly really well and I enjoy flying them purely because I built them from kits or scratch

I also have a big pile of race type drones which mostly end up being beaten on and then the parts recycled to build franken-drones from the remains

all this keeps my hands on the tools and the mind on making things work together and soldering , milling , cutting etc etc, some work some crash spectacularly on the maiden flight

But I grew up when the norm was to build from scratch with a plan and a boatload of balsa bits of fibre glass and glue and old crystal radio's

i have to agree with @anzacjack ,i have owned as many as 10 drones over the years ,i still have apart from my MPP and MM ,a x16 and x21 with 11 batts between them and a little sima x5 for indoor use i am reluctant to part with the older ones for the reasons anzacjack mentioned,one day i will have to bin them i guess but for now they sit proudly in my man cave, i have given away some of my early drones to friends and family,and i did sell my PH3S a while back to my neighbor and flying buddy after he got the bug and he then sold it and got a MPP

Reactions: Gindra
Why do some people own multiple drones? You only use the best drone you own all the time right? So what use case do you have for owning multiple drones?
People ask that about guns, bows and arrows... golf clubs! My guess is:
Different purposes- one size does not fit all: for example, travel vs lifting ability or camera quality.
Use - waterproof or speed or “how many tears and $$$ when it crashes, as well as racing vs photography vs DIY stuff
Evolving to new ones but keeping “old faithful”!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair