DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why do you use multiple drones?

Why do some people own multiple drones? You only use the best drone you own all the time right? So what use case do you have for owning multiple drones?
Why do people own multiple cars, multiple televisions, multiple homes? Do you own multiple pairs of footwear? If so, wouldn't you always wear the most comfortable pair? Makes sense right? Except it doesn't work that way. We wear different shoes based on the purpose for that particular time. Leather shoes for a formal affair or work, sneakers for jogging, sandals for the beach, slippers for home, etc...

So drones are the same way. Each one is different and has its own best use case. Yes I have multiple drones but no I do not always use the same one. Even the definition of "best one" is nebulous. Some would say that the Inspire 2 is the best of the lot. However it usually gets the least usage because it's just so big and heavy to carry around. For the best low-light pictures definitely the Inspire 2 or Phantom 4 Pro. Wonderful night shots. However the mavic 2 Zoom with Hyperlight does a pretty good job.

For getting zoom capability only the M2Z and Inspire 2 will do.

For portability the Spark and Mavic Air are best. I just took the Mavic Air out last weekend because of the size. I can easily grab it and carry it over my shoulder while i walk to the local park. Walking any appreciable distance with the Inspire 2 or even the Phantom 4 Pro just isn't easy.

For windy conditions, the smaller lighter drones can't compete with the stability of the Phantom.

For commercial work, I need the best drone for that day's job. Usually it is the Phantom 4 Pro but sometimes it is the Mavic 2 Zoom and other times it is the Inspire 2. They each have their specific qualities for the task at hand.

Then there definitely is the consideration of having a backup in case your primary unit is down for any reason.

Someone also mentioned familiarity with all the models. I give lessons and if I am not familiar with a specific model then I can't tailor the lesson for that person's specific drone. With DJI it's not a big deal since they all have very similar features, but it is still nice to know the specifics. For instance pairing a remote with a drone is so different on a Phantom 3 Standard than it is on a Mavic Air.

All that to say that yes there are MANY reasons to own more than one. It just depends on your specific needs and what you use them for.

I don't care about cars, it just has to be comfortable, reasonably quick and economical (I have a 2017 Opel Insignia, that I do 70,000 km a year in, and prefer it to my previous car, a F31 BMW), I have a big house, I'd prefer it to be smaller, (it's an empty nest), I have a few acres of weeds and trees that I don't need, I sit on a battered old sofa typing this on my functional laptop, I despise my iPhone, preferring a few year old Android (the company insist I have an iPhone to run their apps), so I'm not bothered about material stuff, EXCEPT DRONES (and Makita 18volt tools, which I do need (well, most of them..). I have 2 Eachine H8 for fun and practice, a P3 Pro, a Mavic pro, a Mini, I almost bought an Air 2, but decided to wait for a Mavic 3, which I'll buy, unless it turns out to be a lemon (I doubt it..) I don't need any of them, and won't dispose of any of them either.

But I grew up when the norm was to build from scratch with a plan and a boatload of balsa bits of fibre glass and glue and old crystal radio's

I get the Maker philosophy. Very impressive that you have dug into this hobby so deeply!

Your comment about crystal radios caught my eye. They are among the various projects I make from scratch. Not too many folks are even aware of what they are or "were".

I agree with what others have said, that is why a tool box has so many tools, if you just have 1 tool in your tool box you are limiting yourself to what you can do.. an adjustable wrench will fit a lot of bolts but not as good as the correct wrench

Why do some people own multiple drones? You only use the best drone you own all the time right? So what use case do you have for owning multiple drones?
I have a Phantom 3 Pro, Mavic Air 2, a Mavic Mini and a Tello. The Phantom and the Mavic Air 2 are used for different situation. It might be a little too windy for the Mavic but not for the Phantom. I like the Mavic 2 because it’s easier to set up. The Mini is good for training and flying in smaller places. The Mavic’s technology is more advanced than my P3P. The Tello is just for fun. It’s always good to have a backu.

Reactions: E90RAW
Sometimes it's simply the difference between need and want. However, sometimes we need what we want. At the present time I have five drones. Everytime I bought one I needed it. At least I thought I did. I'm beginning to think I need an Inspire2.
Being an 81 year old widower, I can get away with doing weird stuff. I try to be gracious and thank my heirs whenever I buy a new drone, car or anything expensive because it's money they don't need and won't get.

I only have one drone, Mavic Air, ( so far) but I have nine telescopes and several guitars. Different items for different situations of sights and sounds
goes for drones also.

Different drones for different uses. Spark is great in confined spaces, Mavic Pro & Phantom 3 great for outdooors. Mavic Pro more advanced than Phantom 3 but not as easy to see and hear at longer distance so easier to loose sight of.

I just received drone #6 (Mavic Air 2 not pictured). I started out with a Phantom 3. Not long after receiving my Phantom, DJI came out with the Mavic Pro. I loved the portability of the Mavic Pro so I had to have it. Then the smaller Mavic Air came out. Then the even greater Zoom came out. Had to have it for all the extra features it has. Then of course DJI comes out with the Mini and the smallest of the fleet. I thought 5 drones is enough until DJI teasers me with the new Air 2. My wife says “Baby you work hard and deserve it. Go ahead and order it). And this is how I ended up with 6 drones. ?4B549A73-A772-46BE-ABFA-CBD58285DA74.jpeg

Greetings Jonations
Preference - I guess. I also own more than one vehicle, one watch, one dog, one camera, etc. BUT, only one wife.

Fly Safe

All my drones are upgrades.

I beat my drones regularly
So the early models have little resale value.
.... and like others have said
If one won’t fly the other might.

.... and you get somewhere where it’s iffy
I use the beater ....
then take out the more expensive drone after the “ lay of the land”

........cR

As for me, it was simply a matter of money.
I started off with a cheap (by drone costs) one to see if I liked the hobbybir not. If I didn't, nothing really lost. As I grew to appreciate the hobby more, I purchased a mid-range drone. But once I realized that I was hooked on it, I stepped up to the big boy.
I still fly them all, but my M2P is the one that gets most fly time.

SAY WHAT?? Why have two drones??? Why have more than one purse(s)(20) caveman ask wife? Why so many shoes he ask(impossible to count). Cave woman says always on sale. Caveman never find sale. He have 1 or 2 pairs of shoes only. One of everything says cavemen! But caveman must have more than one drone. Need minimum two drones, maybe more. AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser