DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why does the Mavic Air 2 and SC feel neglected?

redux

Reactions
Hey guys,

I’m a fairly new drone user, and am a proud Mavic Air 2 owner. I am learning so much about all the features of my drone thanks to these forums, and a lot of practice. Why does the MA2 seem to get updates last? I can’t help but wonder why the Mavic Air 2 doesn’t have all the QuickShots the DJI GO 4 app has, which can’t be used with this drone. The software potential is there, why does it seem so far behind, and just clunky. SkyPixel is weird, clunky, and doesn’t seem to work with the smart controller? Why is the controller the last item to receive any updates? That controller was $700, why does it seem like money wasted? Is DJI going to be pushing updates out faster? Another minor annoyance is how difficult it is to transfer photos and videos from drone or smart controller to my phone or desktop (any tips?). It just seems the software wasn’t made for the controller (ie the Instagram, Facebook, WhatsApp icons that don’t work) unless you find the package and load it, right? Why isn’t the Google play store on the device? All these things just make me twist my head and wonder.

Reactions: willywonker77
First, for the Mavic Air 2, I don't agree it gets updates "last". There have been fantastic updates to the Air 2, such as adding Zoom, target scanning, etc. What specifically do you feel is missing from the Air 2?

As for the Smart Controller, yes it does seem "last" on the list. My guess is that the user base is tiny compared to those using an iOS or Android phone/tablet. Even on this forum (which would generally be the more "hard core" users, the install base is a small percentage. Outside of the forum it will be even less, so it makes sense to focus on the majority of the users first.

As for your other Smart Controller questions:

• I don't find the smart controller to be "money wasted" at all. It's a great piece of hardware for flying. That said, it was designed for flying, not to be a tablet/phone replacement. Currently, it is up-to-date as any Android device, so there is nothing to push out faster.
  • My typical process to get videos and photos out of the drone is to pop out the SD card, place it in my computer and move the files over. I don't do much instant sharing....I edit everything so that process works for me and is fast, easy, and works every time. If you want to get it out somewhere quickly, you can either sideload your app to the Smart Controller, OR move the files to your phone using Bluetooth or DJI Share. If moving to an iPhone/Ipad you can't use Bluetooth as Apple doesn't allow it with non-Apple devices, but you can use DJI Share and the Go 4 app. Using DJI Share you can go right from the drone to the mobile device, using the Smart Controller as an intermediary. It's wifi, so even faster than Bluetooth, and works well to get things off the drone or smart controller to your phone.
  • Getting Google Mobile Services on a device for a manufacturer is not a trivial process. You have to get a license from Google, and have each type of device certified to meet Google's performance requirements. That's a time, cost, and money that apparently DJI feels that don't need to spend (and probably also requires and Android version update). I think the plan was that you fly with the controller, not replace your tablet with it. Although side-loading does work well and you can use it that way if you go through the small extra steps. Oh, and with DJI's new export ban from the US, they would not be allowed to use the Google Services, without the companies getting another license as an exception to the export ban -- which is probably doable, but now an entirely new cost and effort.

First, for the Mavic Air 2, I don't agree it gets updates "last". There have been fantastic updates to the Air 2, such as adding Zoom, target scanning, etc. What specifically do you feel is missing from the Air 2?

As for the Smart Controller, yes it does seem "last" on the list. My guess is that the user base is tiny compared to those using an iOS or Android phone/tablet. Even on this forum (which would generally be the more "hard core" users, the install base is a small percentage. Outside of the forum it will be even less, so it makes sense to focus on the majority of the users first.

As for your other Smart Controller questions:

• I don't find the smart controller to be "money wasted" at all. It's a great piece of hardware for flying. That said, it was designed for flying, not to be a tablet/phone replacement. Currently, it is up-to-date as any Android device, so there is nothing to push out faster.
  • My typical process to get videos and photos out of the drone is to pop out the SD card, place it in my computer and move the files over. I don't do much instant sharing....I edit everything so that process works for me and is fast, easy, and works every time. If you want to get it out somewhere quickly, you can either sideload your app to the Smart Controller, OR move the files to your phone using Bluetooth or DJI Share. If moving to an iPhone/Ipad you can't use Bluetooth as Apple doesn't allow it with non-Apple devices, but you can use DJI Share and the Go 4 app. Using DJI Share you can go right from the drone to the mobile device, using the Smart Controller as an intermediary. It's wifi, so even faster than Bluetooth, and works well to get things off the drone or smart controller to your phone.
  • Getting Google Mobile Services on a device for a manufacturer is not a trivial process. You have to get a license from Google, and have each type of device certified to meet Google's performance requirements. That's a time, cost, and money that apparently DJI feels that don't need to spend (and probably also requires and Android version update). I think the plan was that you fly with the controller, not replace your tablet with it. Although side-loading does work well and you can use it that way if you go through the small extra steps. Oh, and with DJI's new export ban from the US, they would not be allowed to use the Google Services, without the companies getting another license as an exception to the export ban -- which is probably doable, but now an entirely new cost and effort.
Appreciate the detailed response. I guess the SDK (supposed to be released end of Q4 2020) still being unavailable which in turn makes the 3rd party apps with more features is unavailable to MA2 owners. Why are we missing quickshots like comet that are available in DJI GO 4? I guess some of my misunderstandings felt like places DJI is lacking, but I see it’s not quite that. Thanks for taking the time to educate me.

Appreciate the detailed response. I guess the SDK (supposed to be released end of Q4 2020) still being unavailable which in turn makes the 3rd party apps with more features is unavailable to MA2 owners. Why are we missing quickshots like comet that are available in DJI GO 4? I guess some of my misunderstandings felt like places DJI is lacking, but I see it’s not quite that. Thanks for taking the time to educate me.

The SDK was released in December, so you can check that one off as well. I didn't even notice Comet was missing (or remember that it was there before), but I don't use those very much, so that is a fair point. Not sure why they would leave one out?

I think we are seeing that DJI has been rushing things to get them released and then adding features later. The SDK took months to release (as it did with the Mini, and now Mini 2). The Smart Controller was not compatible at release (as with Mini 2). That seems to be the way they are going. It isn't an Air 2 thing, it seems to be a DJI thing.

That said, as there are new regulations and certifications required now in both he US and Europe, DJI may be holding what's "next" (Mavic Pro 3, I assume) to meet some of those regulations. At least Europe's since they are in effect now. Perhaps that will be more "baked" and ready to go on release date.

Reactions: dawgpilot
What specifically do you feel is missing from the Air 2?

This is nothing "new" I know, but ... WAYPOINTS! The SDK release, as I think you mentioned, would probably greatly help with this from a third-party. (Why DJI didn't include it I don't really understand.) I just hope the SDK allows for TRUE waypoint functionality ... from what I could glean from developer and DJI comments, it IS built-in to the hardware, so I am at least somewhat hopeful we'll see this one day soon.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erhard