DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why doesn't the Air2 have Waypoints flight mode?

This is pure speculation but I believe that DJI's consumer level drones are only going to support waypoints through the use of virtual sticks.

This will mean that the aircraft will need to remain in radio contact with the controller. This is how it is handled with the Mini.

In my opinion there are too many irresponsible people out there that will send a drone beyond VLOS and radio range and do stupid things with them. This is one way to cut down on that at the consumer level.

I believe that in the future if you want waypoints, you'll need to step up to a commercial drone.

Again, this is 100% speculation.

DJI classifies the Mavic and Phantoms as consumer drones. The Phantoms do waypoints in firmware as does the Mavic 1 and 2. Once the flight plan is uploaded to the AC, it doesn't need radio contact to complete it's mission. At least Litchi allows the option to complete mission with signal loss for the models mentioned.

Just for creating some artifical differentiation from the more expensive Mavic 2 . If you want to do waypoint, wait for the SDK to be released.
I would be willing to bet that when the SDK is released, waypoints will be supported via virtual sticks and will need to be within radio range to function.

DJI classifies the Mavic and Phantoms as consumer drones. The Phantoms do waypoints in firmware as does the Mavic 1 and 2. Once the flight plan is uploaded to the AC, it doesn't need radio contact to complete it's mission. At least Litchi allows the option to complete mission with signal loss for the models mentioned.
What I'm saying is that I think there will be a move towards differentiating the two classes in the future.

Not saying I'm right, just that I think it's a logical move with all the new drone pilots that are unaware or don't care about the rules, combined with all of the new commercial opportunities for drones.

Cheers.

I expect they needed us to have SOME reason to buy the more expensive Mavics and Phantom.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Syron