DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why in Jeff's name did they change the way the sticks mount?.. and other musings.

Rilot

Reactions
I really like the new RC. It's really nice. Feels good in the hands and the screen is nice and bright, but what the hell were they thinking changing the way the sticks mount? The new mount with the little (M2?) thread sticking out of the gimbals is just crying out to get snagged on something taking out of a bag and get snapped off.

Other first impressions:

The small battery is incredibly light. Lighter than the one from the Mini 2.
The startup sound is extremely musical compared to other DJI models. It's really rather pleasant compared to the quite pathetic set of beeps from the Mini 2, Air 2, etc. which always felt like the drone was complaining that it had been disturbed from it's sleep. At least it's not like the assault on the ears that was the Inspire 1 that positively punched you sonically when turned on.
Camera gimbal feels much more sturdy that the one on the Mini 2.
It's really ugly.
It's quite large - halfway between Mini 2 and Air 2S when unfolded.
Props are about an inch bigger than Mini 2.
The other wheel on the controller is entirely useless. It can only do zooming. I'd like it to be able to do EV instead please......
It's very quiet. Or, it might just be lower pitch because of the larger props.
Charges fast with USB-PD but doesn't seem to work with QC3 like the Mini 2 did. Annoying as I can't use the same charger I used for the Mini 2 and its battery dock. I have PD chargers kicking around but just an annoyance I guess.
Why does the RC have two USB-C ports? Did DJI have a marketing meeting and someone say "What are the kids all using these days? USB-C isn't it? Yeah, kids love them some USB-C. Tell you what, let's put 2 of them on the transmitter."
The MicroSD card slot is upside down.
The new gimbal protector is much better than the old one.
No prop bra thingie?
4:3 photos........ poo.

I like it.

The Mavic 3 's SD Card slot is also upside down and very hard to access with reasonable , adult sized fingers. It makes you wonder who actually tests their prototypes......

The other wheel on the controller is entirely useless. It can only do zooming. I'd like it to be able to do EV instead please

****, was hoping that it would've been possible to reconfigure this to something else, such a shame to have a physical control that you can't really utilize. Exposure compensation would be my primary candidate as well. Well one can only hope for future app updates to fix this…

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
DJI sure has letdown at least since the change to DJI Fly with a very rigid and obstinate view what is best and what the customer should get acquainted to.

It's really a shame that those things are not a adjustable. It's all software, DJI get your grip on for heaven's sake.

See also: Please give us back the tripod mode

>its quieter
This video did the most "scientific" noise test I could find so far.
It is both quieter and lower pitch, both is excelent development. The arm length increased to allow for larger props which allowed for this lower noise and sound pitch.

>its ugly
idk why people hate on it, I like the design tbh.

>card is upside down
from engineering point its not as easy to solve. Having it upside down means the PCB has to be on the other side of the card reader, and god knows what a can of worms would that introduce.

>its large when unfolded
unfolded who gives a f. Its all about how small it is when folded, and its about as big as mini2.

Also lmao that the word da.mn is censored here tf

All in all, I'm really happy with it.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
All in all, I'm really happy with it.
Bugs aside, I think, as a Mini it's a very solid if not great successor to the Mini 2.
But the hype to be better as (insert your beloved competitor, especially if it's more expensive) is unnecessary.

For such a small and lightweight drone, it's astonishing what they packed in.
But certainly there are compromises and certainly DJI know's how to differ there drones within their product line.

Absolutely. It's a great little thing and it will get used a lot for fun and professionally when I can't fly my Air 2S due to local restriction.
It's not going to replace my Air 2S though.

I agree 100% about the sticks who's great idea was that?

plus they don't include a spare set.

I really like the new RC. It's really nice. Feels good in the hands and the screen is nice and bright, but what the hell were they thinking changing the way the sticks mount? The new mount with the little (M2?) thread sticking out of the gimbals is just crying out to get snagged on something taking out of a bag and get snapped off.

Other first impressions:

The small battery is incredibly light. Lighter than the one from the Mini 2.
The startup sound is extremely musical compared to other DJI models. It's really rather pleasant compared to the quite pathetic set of beeps from the Mini 2, Air 2, etc. which always felt like the drone was complaining that it had been disturbed from it's sleep. At least it's not like the assault on the ears that was the Inspire 1 that positively punched you sonically when turned on.
Camera gimbal feels much more sturdy that the one on the Mini 2.
It's really ugly.
It's quite large - halfway between Mini 2 and Air 2S when unfolded.
Props are about an inch bigger than Mini 2.
The other wheel on the controller is entirely useless. It can only do zooming. I'd like it to be able to do EV instead please......
It's very quiet. Or, it might just be lower pitch because of the larger props.
Charges fast with USB-PD but doesn't seem to work with QC3 like the Mini 2 did. Annoying as I can't use the same charger I used for the Mini 2 and its battery dock. I have PD chargers kicking around but just an annoyance I guess.
Why does the RC have two USB-C ports? Did DJI have a marketing meeting and someone say "What are the kids all using these days? USB-C isn't it? Yeah, kids love them some USB-C. Tell you what, let's put 2 of them on the transmitter."
The MicroSD card slot is upside down.
The new gimbal protector is much better than the old one.
No prop bra thingie?
4:3 photos........ poo.

I like it.
When the FPV powers up, it shivers and shakes, and the props vibrate.

It reminds me of when my cat wakes up after having been deeply asleep.

It's a little weird, but sort of cool.

****, was hoping that it would've been possible to reconfigure this to something else, such a shame to have a physical control that you can't really utilize. Exposure compensation would be my primary candidate as well. Well one can only hope for future app updates to fix this…
When I eventually get my Mini-3, I expect to use that zoom wheel quite a bit. I regularly use the zoom on the Mini-2, and the ability to smoothly and conveniently adjust the zoom during flight would be just great.

I won't be getting it soon though...

Just took the Mini 3 out along with the Air 2S. Flew the battery from 100% to auto RTH. Just trying to get a feel for it’s capabilities in a wide open space. Great little thing but when flown back to back against the Air 2S there’s no way this could replace it. The Air 2S is a rocket ship by comparison. So fast and agile.
I’m still out but will review the footage a post some pics when I get home.

Reactions: Faster
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka