DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why jamming a drone can force it to land ?

boblui

Reactions
There has been quite a number of videos showing how drone jammers can force drones to land but I don't understand how it works at least for DJI drones. Assuming that the fail-safe action is set to RTH, if the control signals and GPS signals are lost, should the drone be just drifting around in ATTI mode ?

Reactions: jimlips
There has been quite a number of videos showing how drone jammers can force drones to land but I don't understand how it works at least for DJI drones. Assuming that the fail-safe action is set to RTH, if the control signals and GPS signals are lost, should the drone be just drifting around in ATTI mode ?
Your drone would just hover or drift if it lost signal or GPS.
According to sar104, on losing signal and GPS, the drone will autoland.
The manual doesn't explain this but it would be easy to test with a little aluminium foil to cover the GPS receiver.

Your drone would just hover or drift if it lost signal or GPS.
According to sar104, on losing signal and GPS, the drone will autoland.
The manual doesn't explain this but it would be easy to test with a little aluminium foil to cover the GPS receiver.
So if I fly the drone indoor and switch off the RC or put the RC into the microwave oven, the drone will autoland ?

Were you expecting return home to work it when you don’t have GPS

Last edited by a moderator:
Please see thread ' In the name of science '. General discussions. Sorry give me 10 minutes whilst I write up my experiment.

if the control signals and GPS signals are lost

Don't confuse loss of GPS signal with GPS jamming. Jamming generally spoofs the GPS receiver to confuse it so it then cant resolve its position correctly.

Don't confuse loss of GPS signal with GPS jamming. Jamming generally spoofs the GPS receiver to confuse it so it then cant resolve its position correctly.
Jamming and spoofing are two different things.
With spoofing you can literally control where the drone goes

Note that "putting your R/C in the microwave" does not isolate the R/C from your drone. I just made a video demonstrating this that I will upload to YouTube for you to see. Here is the video:
The best way to simulate loss of RF from your remote control is to power it off.

Reactions: Ramjam61
Note that "putting your R/C in the microwave" does not isolate the R/C from your drone. I just made a video demonstrating this that I will upload to YouTube for you to see. Here is the video:
The best way to simulate loss of RF from your remote control is to power it off.
After putting mine in the Microwave, I did then remove it and switch it off.
I'd like to try an experiment where I take off, then fly the drone 50yds away. After it's updated the home point of course. Then trying to slip some tin foil between the blades and the top (whilst it's still hovering) and wrap it underneath to secure it. Wearing gloves. Then seeing iff it can rth, without gps. I need to go to my cousins farm to try that, so I'm not putting anyone at risk.

I'd like to try an experiment where I take off, then fly the drone 50yds away. After it's updated the home point of course. Then trying to slip some tin foil between the blades and the top (whilst it's still hovering) and wrap it underneath to secure it. Wearing gloves. Then seeing iff it can rth, without gps. I need to go to my cousins farm to try that, so I'm not putting anyone at risk.
Hint it can’t return to home without GPS. Without GPS it has no clue where Home would be.

Good thing you switched off the microwave.

Why would anyone put the controller in a microwave when it's such a simple matter to just switch off the controller?

As briefly mentioned above, there's no need for such a complicated "experiment".
Exactly what would happen is well known and has been demonstrated many times.
Without GPS, your drone has no way to tell where it is or how to get to where the home point is.
It would be stuck, in atti mode.
If left hovering, it would drift with any wind, but it would be fully controllable, except it would have no horizontal position holding or "brakes".

Reactions: jimlips
Haven't tried it, but I guess when the radio is turned off the drone will hover for about 10 seconds and then begin with RTH. In case no GPS is available ar this moment it would just autoland in place.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa