DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why so many different apps for DJI??

Range Aerial

Reactions
DJI Assistant 2, DJI go 4, ect...ect...ext..
Why so many? Seems like they could be WAY more user friendly and streamlined.
Which one should I use? I've got a m2ed, white goggles, and a phantom 4.
Do I need 3 different apps?

Different strokes for different purposes! The one you should use will depend on your drone and what you're up to.

The DJI Assistant 2, is for updates, and alignment of sensors, though some, but not all, of that can be done with the Smart Controller. DJI go4 is the is the provided app for controller to drone interface using the communication protocol "OcuSync". There are other non-DJI apps for controller to drone comm as well, but I have no experience with them. One you hear about here often is Litchi, which has some advantages over go4 in that it allows one to pre-program waypoints using Lat-Lon and more. (I wish DJI would add that to go4.)

Reactions: leroysch
Probably along the lines of
How do you pack 6 pounds into a 2 pound box?
You don’t. You get three boxes.

Reactions: dirkclod
Different strokes for different purposes! The one you should use will depend on your drone and what you're up to.

The DJI Assistant 2, is for updates, and alignment of sensors, though some, but not all, of that can be done with the Smart Controller. DJI go4 is the is the provided app for controller to drone interface using the communication protocol "OcuSync". There are other non-DJI apps for controller to drone comm as well, but I have no experience with them. One you hear about here often is Litchi, which has some advantages over go4 in that it allows one to pre-program waypoints using Lat-Lon and more. (I wish DJI would add that to go4.)
So your saying I should fly with the go4 app, and update firmware with assistant 2?

So your saying I should fly with the go4 app, and update firmware with assistant 2?

It depends (sorry, but that's true). Example, sometimes when you power up the Smart Controller and drone, the SC will say checking firmware for updates (or some such verbiage). Assuming the SC has WiFi, it'll update right then and there, no Assistant 2 or computer needed. Mine did that 30 minutes ago, the drone rebooted during the process, so something got tweaked after the last, slightly buggy, firmware update. Other times, like with the last SC "ver. . . . 650" update, the directions stated that it must be connected to Assistant 2 (so plugged into the computer with WiFi available).

The go4 app comes pre-loaded on the Smart Controller and is the provided default app for flying the M2. Other 3rd party apps can be downloaded to the SC and used to fly the M2. I haven't tried them. If I do, it'll be because I need real time lat/lon display and I'm disappointed DJI doesn't provide that as an on-screen option.

It depends (sorry, but that's true). Example, sometimes when you power up the Smart Controller and drone, the SC will say checking firmware for updates (or some such verbiage). Assuming the SC has WiFi, it'll update right then and there, no Assistant 2 or computer needed. Mine did that 30 minutes ago, the drone rebooted during the process, so something got tweaked after the last, slightly buggy, firmware update. Other times, like with the last SC "ver. . . . 650" update, the directions stated that it must be connected to Assistant 2 (so plugged into the computer with WiFi available).

The go4 app comes pre-loaded on the Smart Controller and is the provided default app for flying the M2. Other 3rd party apps can be downloaded to the SC and used to fly the M2. I haven't tried them. If I do, it'll be because I need real time lat/lon display and I'm disappointed DJI doesn't provide that as an on-screen option.
Thanks for the reply.
I don't have the smart controller.
Looks like I'll use the dji assist 2 for the latest update on my mavic 2 enterprise.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO