DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why the new app for the Mavic Mini?

The Mini will have it’s own app and not the go4. The new app is called Go fly and release date is on monday.
thanks, I understand there is a new app. Ive also seen conversations regarding DJI added to Go 4 so we don't have to use two apps. what im wondering mostly is; does the app add the mode functions that the mini is missing now with go fly.
A friend wants a spark because of gestures and tracking modes. I simply curious if anyone thinks they would be added to the mini if and once the mini is available in go 4

That's true for sure, but they can only do what is allowed/supported by DJI's SDK. And actually DJI has not even announced a new version with MM support...

I think that their new app with reduced interface and limited feature set was done on purpose?

The MM has to keep some distance to the more expensive drones - video is good enough for most casual home users. So they left out a couple of features to make sure it does not cannibalize their bigger more expensive drones.

Now they can't allow Litchi or other licensees of the SDK to implement this - otherwise their product positioning would not work

Reactions: BigAl07
Curious. The Fly app now shows up in the Google Play store and I was able to install it onto my phone. But it is not offered for my Galaxy Tab S2 tablet. And when I try to install it manually by directly downloading the apk file from DJI it denies installation. Seems this app has problems with tablets...

Curious. The Fly app now shows up in the Google Play store and I was able to install it onto my phone. But it is not offered for my Galaxy Tab S2 tablet. And when I try to install it manually by directly downloading the apk file from DJI it denies installation. Seems this app has problems with tablets...
Not yet optimised for ipad either. It will open but it just upscales the iPhone app.

@GerdS and @Chris Baish, The app is only on Version 1.0.2, and it’s still quite new. I’m sure there will be updates that open up compatibility for tablets, because it would be sort of illogical not to. But because the MM is supposed to be a beginner, toss-up-in-the-air-and-fly drone, and people always have their phones on their person, they are going to use the smartphone more than the tablet. On the other hand, if you’re an experienced drone pilot adding the MM to your toolbox, you might want the app on a tablet. A tablet’s screen is much less cramped than a smartphone screen, anyway.

@GerdS and @Chris Baish, The app is only on Version 1.0.2, and it’s still quite new. I’m sure there will be updates that open up compatibility for tablets, because it would be sort of illogical not to. But because the MM is supposed to be a beginner, toss-up-in-the-air-and-fly drone, and people always have their phones on their person, they are going to use the smartphone more than the tablet. On the other hand, if you’re an experienced drone pilot adding the MM to your toolbox, you might want the app on a tablet. A tablet’s screen is much less cramped than a smartphone screen, anyway.
It does still work on an iPad with the benefit of larger display.
You just have to scale up the iPhone app display by 2x to fill the iPad screen. It's a digital 2x zoom of the disply, unlike a dedicated iPad app, but it works!

It does still work on an iPad with the benefit of larger display.
You just have to scale up the iPhone app display by 2x to fill the iPad screen. It's a digital 2x zoom of the disply, unlike a dedicated iPad app, but it works!
I guess that’ll have to work for now, right??

I guess that’ll have to work for now, right??
Indeed! Been doing that with other iPhone apps for years!
The significantly larger screen helps with readability and option selections, and the larger iPad Mini battery lasts longer than the iPhone battery.

Indeed! Been doing that with other iPhone apps for years!
The significantly larger screen helps with readability and option selections, and the larger iPad Mini battery lasts longer than the iPhone battery.
True true! ????

Reactions: GadgetGuy
The play store knows what's available for my version of android.
DJI fly is NOT located in the play store for my 2015 Samsung 7"tab v.5.0...
DJI fly is NOT located in the play store for my 2016 Samsung 11" tab v.5.0...
DJI fly IS located in the play store for my 2019 Google pixel 3xl.. v.10.0..
With all the millions of android tablets out there, you'd think the Go4 app. that IS available on the play store for earlier androids could be updated for the mini ? Isn't the Go4 app-- For drones since P4 ? If the mini came after the P4... does that mean the Go4 app. is obsolete ?
My real question; is there a way to download DJI fly on an older android ? or transfer the app. from one device to another ?
Sure, just folloe this link and download it direct and side load it. That doesn't mean it will install or work on your device

The play store knows what's available for my version of android.
DJI fly IS located in the play store for my 2019 Google pixel 3xl.. v.10.0..
With all the millions of android tablets out there, you'd think the Go4 app. that IS available on the play store for earlier androids could be updated for the mini ? Isn't the Go4 app-- For drones since P4 ? If the mini came after the P4... does that mean the Go4 app. is obsolete ?
My real question; is there a way to download DJI fly on an older android ? or transfer the app. from one device to another ?
DJI Fly is only available for the devices that support it.

As you wrote above.. both samsungs are on Android 5.0 and the DJI Fly app requires Android 6.x and up to Android 10. It will just not work, regardless of how you try. And you are not alone, I have a Lenovo K4 Note also on Android 5 that we use as dedicated toy RC Phone and that one doesn't work either.

I will be looking to buy a cheap iPhone that will serve as universal remote for all our toys. The plus would be that the remote will last longer as it will not charge the phone and that in case it is damaged, it's not my main phone.

It will actually work on many other devices since android is so wide spread
Example Mi9TPro
DJI's list of supported DJI FLY devices is not exhaustive, but outside of their list, it is untested, and unsupported by DJI.

Besides Android OS version, Play may also be looking at installed RAM. It is speculated the criteria is 4GB. Many have been able to manually install with less than 4GB.
Also it's believed must be 64bit hardware and OS.

It would be nice if DJI would state all required specs and not just OS version. Just going by supported list that's clearly not even close to exhaustive is just not right.

Considering the stride that DJI has done in the last month to get the app to work with models that originally did not work shows they are trying to get the app as compatible as they can.

Besides Android OS version, Play may also be looking at installed RAM. It is speculated the criteria is 4GB. Many have been able to manually install with less than 4GB.
Also it's believed must be 64bit hardware and OS.

It would be nice if DJI would state all required specs and not just OS version. Just going by supported list that's clearly not even close to exhaustive is just not right.

Considering the stride that DJI has done in the last month to get the app to work with models that originally did not work shows they are trying to get the app as compatible as they can.
It's still very early in the development cycle. As the userbase expands, I am sure many of the early hiccups will be ironed out, and tweaks made to support as many devices as possible.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki