DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why Use Waypoint Missions?

Turnerm

Reactions
So... probably a dumb question but I'm curious as to what people are using these Waypoint missions for exactly? I think it's very cool that you can program them on a computer, upload them, and fly the MP autonomously... but other than the cool factor, what are the practical uses of this?

It allows me to focus (pardon the pun) on the scenery and the gimbal pitch as a less experienced operator. It also lets me setup the drone in a certain position if the destination is more important than the journey. It's like RTH -- some like to let it come home on it's own and some like to take hold of the sticks.

It allows me to focus (pardon the pun) on the scenery and the gimbal pitch as a less experienced operator. It also lets me setup the drone in a certain position if the destination is more important than the journey. It's like RTH -- some like to let it come home on it's own and some like to take hold of the sticks.
Thanks. I've used the Waypoints feature in the DJI GO4 app to do what you're talking about so I get that. Sometimes it's tough to fly the right path AND film smoothly so I've setup waypoints and then done my filming. Works pretty well.

But for those types of situations it still seems to me that flying and planning out the waypoints in the app is the way to go. So again, I don't get the need for the Litchi app and pre planning a waypoint mission.

Thanks. I've used the Waypoints feature in the DJI GO4 app to do what you're talking about so I get that. Sometimes it's tough to fly the right path AND film smoothly so I've setup waypoints and then done my filming. Works pretty well.

But for those types of situations it still seems to me that flying and planning out the waypoints in the app is the way to go. So again, I don't get the need for the Litchi app and pre planning a waypoint mission.

As I get into this more, I find I'm exploring new pathing. For example, I'm using Litchi to plan multiple altitude changes (when recording) which would otherwise become incomprehensible jerky inputs in my own hands.

Reactions: woesch
honestly is just more smooth the video.. creating a waypoint mean you can just focus on what you need to record! also litchi pre plan gives you fast action when you are in the spot.. sometimes you don't want to hang around too much ;) + and this is a big plus if you won't have rc connection doesn't matter cause Mavic will do his mission and then fly back home also without rc connection [emoji111]️[emoji111]️[emoji111]️

I like the fact that the Mission is loaded into the bird before it ever really starts on the mission. Therefore if it loses any signal, has any problem connecting with the controller, it's still flies the mission. Very safe alternative in my opinion

Reactions: Turnerm
Do the Waypoints include altitude? Can you tell it to automatically take pics at the waypoints? I've never played with this feature.

I like the fact that the Mission is loaded into the bird before it ever really starts on the mission. Therefore if it loses any signal, has any problem connecting with the controller, it's still flies the mission. Very safe alternative in my opinion
This is a good point. I just need to play around with them a bit I guess.

Hey guys, I'm new around here and have only had my Mavic a few days. I purchased Litchi as an alternative to the GO4 app and so far it's proven to be pretty cool. I flew my first waypoint mission this morning and it went as planned but I'm wondering if there is a way to hypothetically 'fly' the mission either via the app or in the web browser before actually sending the Mavic up, sort of like a simulation just to watch your planned mission before take off to make sure the settings you've entered are correct. I get very nervous when the bird is in the air and would like to see my planned route and camera (gimbal) settings played back before I send it up. This to me (and probably other beginners) would be very useful so you know it's going to do it's thing without crashing or not catching the footage you want. Cheers!

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
If you have to ask the question, then just stick to annoying your siblings with your Mavic. :p

You guys really need to spend a few hours on the Litchi site. Really.

To whet your apetite: Waypoints (WP) have a rich set of parameters you can set: Location (of course), altitude, heading, gimbal tilt angle, speed to next WP, and some others. You can have the aircraft stop at a WP for a defined period, take pictures, start/stop video, rotate, and some more things.

You can place POIs on the map and configure WPs to focus on them (i.e. point the camera at them). Litch will manage the gimbal and heading of the aircraft as you fly by, smoothly turning the aircraft to keep the POI centered.

Check out this thread if you want to get an in-depth idea of some of what Litchi can do for you. It's not about Litchi, per se, but about pre-planning methods/tools. However, in the process of examining these issues there's a pretty complete run-through of a Litchi mission, with lots of visualization, and then the final result.

Bottom line is this: WP automation enables flying and cinematography that is impossible manually.

You guys really need to spend a few hours on the Litchi site. Really.

To whet your apetite: Waypoints (WP) have a rich set of parameters you can set: Location (of course), altitude, heading, gimbal tilt angle, speed to next WP, and some others. You can have the aircraft stop at a WP for a defined period, take pictures, start/stop video, rotate, and some more things.

You can place POIs on the map and configure WPs to focus on them (i.e. point the camera at them). Litch will manage the gimbal and heading of the aircraft as you fly by, smoothly turning the aircraft to keep the POI centered.

Check out this thread if you want to get an in-depth idea of some of what Litchi can do for you. It's not about Litchi, per se, but about pre-planning methods/tools. However, in the process of examining these issues there's a pretty complete run-through of a Litchi mission, with lots of visualization, and then the final result.

Bottom line is this: WP automation enables flying and cinematography that is impossible manually.

And you can do all this, the night before, on your tablet/display device.

Whoah, I was just kidding around. Sorry I offended you.
Sorry man... stupid internet! It's so hard to understand tone when people post so I thought you were taking a dig. So I'm the one that needs to apologize. Your second post was very helpful so thanks for that.

Reactions: jamesw
And you can do all this, the night before, on your tablet/display device.
Exactly, and if there is any little detail that you don't like, like gimbal angle, an excessive speed or whatever you can repeat the flight in one click.

Thanks guys - helpful stuff. So I'm assuming that it's very risky to plan waypoint missions below the tree line in tight areas (say - like up a street in your neighborhood) because the GPS accuracy just isn't good enough to pull that off without significant risk??

Thanks guys - helpful stuff. So I'm assuming that it's very risky to plan waypoint missions below the tree line in tight areas (say - like up a street in your neighborhood) because the GPS accuracy just isn't good enough to pull that off without significant risk??
Most definitely. It is something I have been interested in doing. I have tried it a few times, doesn't work and on one occasion led to a crash. Even when using the aircraft itself to accurately mark the waypoints. There are quite a few gotchas when trying to use Litchi for this. Will post some more on this later.

Reactions: Turnerm

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinstonH