DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why Use Waypoint Missions?

Sorry man... stupid internet! It's so hard to understand tone when people post so I thought you were taking a dig. So I'm the one that needs to apologize. Your second post was very helpful so thanks for that.
It's all good :cool:

Most definitely. It is something I have been interested in doing. I have tried it a few times, doesn't work and on one occasion led to a crash. Even when using the aircraft itself to accurately mark the waypoints. There are quite a few gotchas when trying to use Litchi for this. Will post some more on this later.
Good to know. I'll plan my first missions above the tree line.

I was actually filming the other day and should've used the basic GO4 waypoints as I was trying to film a series of statues and I was trying to use tripod mode and keep the yaw and gimbal pitch just right. Was tough. A waypoint mission would've helped immensely.

Thanks guys - helpful stuff. So I'm assuming that it's very risky to plan waypoint missions below the tree line in tight areas (say - like up a street in your neighborhood) because the GPS accuracy just isn't good enough to pull that off without significant risk??
Well, really depends on how tight you're trying to be, and the GPS satellite geometry and visibility where you're going to run the precision mission.

Sounds complicated, but it really amounts to this: If you can maintain a lock on a good number of GPS satellites through the whole mission, say 9-12, AND you fly it when the satellites above at the time are in a configuration that minimizes error (HDOP in this case). (GPS satellite geometry and HDOP/VDOP/TDOP/PDOP for a given location and time can be found on the internet -- google it :)). For some exhaustive detail about this, check out this page.

The issue of getting the best geometry optimal can be ignored unless you need to stay within a 10-15' wide path. Also, should be pretty calm.

I've done this with my P4 in Litchi after creating a 6' ground-relative path around my hilly neighborhood. I had it go 3mph, so it was kind of like Tripod Mode. I walked behind it to stop if it got into trouble.

Went fine, but was a lot closer to the edge of the street in many places than on the map.

Last edited:
Good to know. I'll plan my first missions above the tree line.
Yes thats is the secret. Too many possible gotchas if you fly it down amongst the obstacles. Only safe way to do that is to be right there with it, so yo take over when it surprises you.

I was actually filming the other day and should've used the basic GO4 waypoints as I was trying to film a series of statues and I was trying to use tripod mode and keep the yaw and gimbal pitch just right. Was tough. A waypoint mission would've helped immensely.
It would have been perfect for that.

Reactions: Turnerm
You Can achieve some of those shots without waypoints, The whole circling around the building I do it all the time by hand.
Of course you can, I also can tally huge amounts of numbers with paper and pencil, but I'd rather use a spreadsheet. Litchi Lets you do that......

Reactions: BrooklynFlyer
Of course you can, I also can tally huge amounts of numbers with paper and pencil, but I'd rather use a spreadsheet. Litchi Lets you do that......
I know what litchi lets people do, I used it with my P3S but I see no need for it now with my Mavic. And its not the same thing with tallying large numbers. A simple point of view shot isn't that hard to do.

Reactions: Daptone
I hope you guys don't mind if we join the discussion. We feel that our mission planner brings quite a lot of innovation to the table, when you do waypoint flying.
  1. Include automatically obstacle avoidance in the flight plan computation (fly around / above that trees)
  2. Include automatically best gimbal & yaw alignments on your inspection target (not just POI, but taking building shapes into account)
  3. Automatically smooth a (bumpy) manual flight and refly it with the speed of your liking -> Smooth amazing videos, ideal for a quick flight & smooth video recording at a beautiful location
  4. Preview of waypoint flight plans in 3D including a preview of what the camera will see at your location
  5. Easy adjustments / editing / reflying thanks to stored flight plans
We could go on, but we'd like to invite you to give us a try (Drone Harmony - Optimal mission planning for DJI Drones , free during beta). Let us know what you think, we highly appreciate any feedback (contact at droneharmony dot com)!

I hope you guys don't mind if we join the discussion. We feel that our mission planner brings quite a lot of innovation to the table, when you do waypoint flying.
  1. Include automatically obstacle avoidance in the flight plan computation (fly around / above that trees)
  2. Include automatically best gimbal & yaw alignments on your inspection target (not just POI, but taking building shapes into account)
  3. Automatically smooth a (bumpy) manual flight and refly it with the speed of your liking -> Smooth amazing videos, ideal for a quick flight & smooth video recording at a beautiful location
  4. Preview of waypoint flight plans in 3D including a preview of what the camera will see at your location
  5. Easy adjustments / editing / reflying thanks to stored flight plans
We could go on, but we'd like to invite you to give us a try (Drone Harmony - Optimal mission planning for DJI Drones , free during beta). Let us know what you think, we highly appreciate any feedback (contact at droneharmony dot com)!

No iOS support [emoji53]

Reactions: Mavman
I hope you guys don't mind if we join the discussion. We feel that our mission planner brings quite a lot of innovation to the table, when you do waypoint flying. <snip>
.....We could go on, but we'd like to invite you to give us a try (Drone Harmony - Optimal mission planning for DJI Drones ...
Thanks for joining in. Will definitely take a look. Hopefully might be able to do some of the stuff I am struggling to get done with Litchi.

I know what litchi lets people do, I used it with my P3S but I see no need for it now with my Mavic.
Then don't use it. That seems simple enough.

But what kind of arrogance does it take to decide that for others that you've only exchanged a few posts with on the internet? What the hell do know about their circumstances and needs?

Reactions: BrooklynFlyer
I'm glad you spoke up! I'm really excited about your new offering.

The only downside right now is I've used Litchi a lot, and am just getting my feet wet with Drone Harmony, so I don't have a lot to add. I would urge people to check it out -- it provides some really useful capabilities in 3D site characterization that Litchi doesn't touch.

I shot this using Autopilot apps waypoints feature, I'd never be able to fly it this well by hand.

Lovely, smooth video mate.

How did you gauge the height of the trees alongside the castle in the first part of the clip?

The camera seemed to just skim over the top of them!

Just good luck or careful planning?!

Reactions: Barrettsbuzzin
Hey guys, I'm new around here and have only had my Mavic a few days. I purchased Litchi as an alternative to the GO4 app and so far it's proven to be pretty cool. I flew my first waypoint mission this morning and it went as planned but I'm wondering if there is a way to hypothetically 'fly' the mission either via the app or in the web browser before actually sending the Mavic up, sort of like a simulation just to watch your planned mission before take off to make sure the settings you've entered are correct. I get very nervous when the bird is in the air and would like to see my planned route and camera (gimbal) settings played back before I send it up. This to me (and probably other beginners) would be very useful so you know it's going to do it's thing without crashing or not catching the footage you want. Cheers!
I know AutoPilot offers this so I would think so?

Reactions: Ty_Emery1
Then don't use it. That seems simple enough.

But what kind of arrogance does it take to decide that for others that you've only exchanged a few posts with on the internet? What the **** do know about their circumstances and needs?
Its called a forum to discuss and share opinions, what kind of arrogance does it take to tell someone that they can't express their opinion? I never said people shouldn't use it, I gave my opinion, if you can't handle that well that's your problem. Sorry but not sorry that you can't handle differing opinions..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burt12