DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

WiFi Connection And Useability?

DevilsLuck

Reactions
I realize for you more experienced folks this may seem like a silly question; but bear with me. I read in another thread, something to the effect of "needing to have a WiFi connection to operate the drone".
This brought on some questions. Is this true? Is it only for certain functions? Does this mean if I go far out in the boonies camping or some such where there is no internet, I cannot fly? Say a tornado rips through my area, and power, and internet are out, and I want to film the area from above? Or worse yet... My internet goes out, while my drone is in the air?
Like I said, that comment I read brought out a lot of questions. Any insights, or clarifications would be greatly appreciated.
I'm using the Air 3, with thr RC2 controller...

I read in another thread, something to the effect of "needing to have a WiFi connection to operate the drone".
This brought on some questions. Is this true?
It's not true at all.
if I go far out in the boonies camping or some such where there is no internet, I cannot fly?
I've been flying for 10 years, almost always out in the boonies where there is no internet.

Like I said, that comment I read brought out a lot of questions.
I'd be skeptical about whatever else you read from that source.

Reactions: DevilsLuck
Internet connection can have ill effects. Especially if you have automatic updates enabled. Airplane mode can be a friend.

There are a couple of things that could mean you need WiFi OCCASIONALLY,
1) The fly app has an automated timeout logout, supposedly 90 days. If you get logged out you will need WiFi to log in otherwise the range and height of the drone will be severely limited.
What starts the countdown seems to be uncertain so if you are going out to the back of beyond for more than 80 days it might be wise to log out and login immediately prior to leaving home.
2) if you want the app to display a map of the drone's flying area but these can somehow be downloaded whilst at home etc..
I am not bothered about maps so have never paid attention to how you download them in advance.

You might need WiFi if you are seeking to launch in restricted areas - to apply for permission to fly etc.. I have not encountered that problem so am uncertain how the application is made etc..

Other than those i can't think of any other instances were wifi is required.

Last edited:
The Drone flys of satellites.I fly in the desert no problem.You need WiFi to download from the drone your Phone/Computer.No need for WiFi while flying mate.😉
In another thread here I'm reading about connectivity issues preventing users from flying their drones any decent distance. I'm probably misunderstanding something. But I'm not sure what. Maybe something to do with the DJI Fly app?

preventing users from flying their drones any decent distance.
what do you consider to be a decent distance ?
Control range depends on numerous things, EM interference, height, obstacles between the drone and the controller inc trees, your regard for VLOS rules, orientation of the controller's antennae etc. etc..

what do you consider to be a decent distance ?
Control range depends on numerous things, EM interference, height, obstacles between the drone and the controller inc trees, your regard for VLOS rules, orientation of the controller's antennae etc. etc..
I looked for the thread, but can't find it. Grrr... the gist of it went something like he updated his app, or controller at the hotel he was staying at, but when he got out to the jobsite he was going to film at there was some kind of wifi, or internet connectivity issue that resulted in his drone only being able to travel... I think he said fifty meters. A number of folks chimed in on it saying this issue, whatever it is, has been a problem with DJI. I'm just trying to understand it.

I looked for the thread, but can't find it. Grrr... the gist of it went something like he updated his app, or controller at the hotel he was staying at, but when he got out to the jobsite he was going to film at there was some kind of wifi, or internet connectivity issue that resulted in his drone only being able to travel... I think he said fifty meters. A number of folks chimed in on it saying this issue, whatever it is, has been a problem with DJI. I'm just trying to understand it.
That is most likely due to an automated, 90-day?, time-out log-out of/from the FLY App.
It is a chuffing curse if you happen to get caught out by it and have no possible connection to the internet.

Why?
Because DJI severely restrict range and height when logged out of the app and an internet connection is needed to log in.

Suggested solution, log out of the app and log in again just before you depart for such places and whilst you have an internet connection.

Last edited:
That is most likely due to an automated, 90-day?, time-out log-out of/from the FLY App.
It is a chuffing curse if you happen to get caught out by it and have no possible connection to the internet.

Why?
Because DJI severely restrict range and height when logged out of the app and an internet connection is needed to log in.

Solution, log out of the app and log in again just before you depart for such places and whilst you have an internet connection.
Thank you.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Download what?
If imagery its probably faster and easier to remove the card from the drone and put it in a reader attached to whatever.

Unless it's on internal storage.

The Avata 2 has 46MB. I haven't used a card in it yet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kellmorrissey