DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

WiFi or RC Selection

f2000ez

Reactions
after binding the controller to the MPP, do I leave the selector switch in the RC position or return it to the WIFI position

Thanks
Dave

Yep, you'll have way more range if you just leave it in RC. I was confused by at first, because I thought WIFI was for connecting a phone or tablet.

If you want to take photos and/or video, you should be in WIFI mode. If your interest is purely flying, the RC mode is best. I guess you can still take photos and/or video but you will be unable to see exactly what you are taking photos/video of. I prefer to fly in WIFI mode even though my range is less. Some of the photos/video are simply great.

Reactions: JoDroneSpeed
If you want to take photos and/or video, you should be in WIFI mode. If your interest is purely flying, the RC mode is best. I guess you can still take photos and/or video but you will be unable to see exactly what you are taking photos/video of. I prefer to fly in WIFI mode even though my range is less. Some of the photos/video are simply great.

If you are in RC mode and use the djigo4 app you can see everything. I can’t imagine flying in WiFi with a Mavic. Occusync is much stronger and range is amazing with the OTG cable connection to a phone or USB to a tablet.

I also would not fly the Mavic without the app. Just too much to go wrong.

If you are flying in WiFi with the app not RC you are still only getting a cached image not the full video resolution or jpg for stills

Occusync also is much better for your video signal also while flying.

Paul Caldwell

Reactions: JoDroneSpeed
If you are in RC mode and use the djigo4 app you can see everything. I can’t imagine flying in WiFi with a Mavic. Occusync is much stronger and range is amazing with the OTG cable connection to a phone or USB to a tablet.

I also would not fly the Mavic without the app. Just too much to go wrong.

If you are flying in WiFi with the app not RC you are still only getting a cached image not the full video resolution or jpg for stills

Occusync also is much better for your video signal also while flying.

Paul Caldwell
Paul, thank you for the information. I have always used WIFI, fortunately without issue. I am going to give Occusync a serious look. Currently using IOS 9.7 tablet. Tried my Android phone yesterday and all was fine but I don't totally trust Android given previous feedback from users that had problems using it. I am taking photos in raw with video at 4k/24. Perhaps Occusync will provide even better results. I will let you know. Thanks again for the iinformation!

Actually, the Video/stills won't have benefit from the Occusync, as all of that is being captured on your micro SD card on the Mavic. Where you will benefit, is range, and better video transmission and much more reliable connection between you and the drone. As you get further out, you will start to see breakup of the video transmission especially if you happen to drop out of LOS. Occusync really is an excellent platform.

If you are using an iPad, (I use an iPad pro latest version 10.5 or 9.75, can't remember the Apple spec. It will work best if you use the Standard USB port on the bottom of your controller. Use a USB to lightening cable. The djigo4 app is very stable on the apple platform, but I believe it's also stable on the Android side. The S8 and S9 phones have amazing outdoor displays, at least 1000 nits. The iPhone X is 500, pretty worthless IMO. The iPad Pro is brighter IMO than iPhone x outdoors.

If you go with a tablet, you may want to look at one of the many tablet holders that will plug into the controllers folding arms. The the iPad mini will fit in the controller, but larger iPad, need an extra holder. Here is a link to just one example out on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Skyreat-Acce...7211017&sr=8-8&keywords=iPad+holder+for+mavic

Paul Caldwell

Actually, the Video/stills won't have benefit from the Occusync, as all of that is being captured on your micro SD card on the Mavic. Where you will benefit, is range, and better video transmission and much more reliable connection between you and the drone. As you get further out, you will start to see breakup of the video transmission especially if you happen to drop out of LOS. Occusync really is an excellent platform.

If you are using an iPad, (I use an iPad pro latest version 10.5 or 9.75, can't remember the Apple spec. It will work best if you use the Standard USB port on the bottom of your controller. Use a USB to lightening cable. The djigo4 app is very stable on the apple platform, but I believe it's also stable on the Android side. The S8 and S9 phones have amazing outdoor displays, at least 1000 nits. The iPhone X is 500, pretty worthless IMO. The iPad Pro is brighter IMO than iPhone x outdoors.

If you go with a tablet, you may want to look at one of the many tablet holders that will plug into the controllers folding arms. The the iPad mini will fit in the controller, but larger iPad, need an extra holder. Here is a link to just one example out on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Skyreat-Acce...7211017&sr=8-8&keywords=iPad+holder+for+mavic

Paul Caldwell
I am currently using the 9.7 IOS with a holder. I control only with the DJI remote, although, of course, adjust settings via djigo4 and the IOS. I also connect with a lightening cable using the USB port. To clarify , Ocusync is built into the Mavic Pro Platinum and is accessed when in RC mode????

Last edited:
Occusync or WiFi are just your choices to control the Mavic. The recordings are saved to the SD card. Make sure you are not viewing the thumbnail.

Occusync or WiFi are just your choices to control the Mavic. The recordings are saved to the SD card. Make sure you are not viewing the thumbnail.
To clarify , Occusync is built into the Mavic Pro Platinum and is accessed when in RC mode????

To clarify , Occusync is built into the Mavic Pro Platinum and is accessed when in RC mode????
Correct. Occusync is how the RC communicates with the Mavic. WiFi is used when you do not use the RC. The RC communicates with your phone/tablet via USB to run Go 4 so you can have the camera view and other Go 4 features.

I think the only use for WiFi mode would be if your RC was broken or had a dead battery.

Correct. Occusync is how the RC communicates with the Mavic. WiFi is used when you do not use the RC. The RC communicates with your phone/tablet via USB to run Go 4 so you can have the camera view and other Go 4 features.
And, it will work this way even in remote areas, away from cities?

And, it will work this way even in remote areas, away from cities?
Yes. WiFi is not needed to fly. I fly with my tablet in airplane mode which disables external connections like WiFi.

"If you want to take photos and/or video, you should be in WIFI mode. If your interest is purely flying, the RC mode is best. I guess you can still take photos and/or video but you will be unable to see exactly what you are taking photos/video of. I prefer to fly in WIFI mode even though my range is less. Some of the photos/video are simply great."

This is not true at all leave it in rc mode and do whatever you want wifi is very limited on the MP only for certian things. i have never ever used wifi i have over 800 miles on my mavic pro now.

Reactions: coliwabl
Not to mention the nonsense of not being able to view what you are recording/taking pictures of.
You don't use the RC exclusively of your phone. You connect your phone to the RC via USB.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54