DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wild Wind Speed Test

TheRock

Reactions
That's pretty impressive actually.

It also makes me want to ask a question that I've had for a while, but I don't know how many will actually answer.
Do you fly beyond line of sight? I fly an Inspire 2 for work - that's a big aircraft - and I don't think I could see it as far away as I see a lot of example/test/demo videos of much smaller drones (like the MA2). Especially with the automated flight modes of modern drones, I know it's tempting to fly where you can't see it - do you trust the tech enough to do it? The folks in the videos I've seen certainly appear to.

Reactions: TheRock
I’ve found it easy to trust the tech, just flying high enough is my main worry. and yes although it is illegal here in the USA to do so, time and time again I see people flying out of their LOS, especially new pilots, and their amount of trust is almost concerningly high. I think most of us experienced pilots who understand how these machines actually work (I do custom builds and manual rc drone/plane stuff) fly a little more cautiously. However, these features perform outstanding and give me unmatched peace of mind when out on a shoot or flying over water/inaccessible locations, etc.

Reactions: kwolfskill
His test video is good but he makes a misleading comment at 8:00 when he says:
As long as the wind is less than the drone's maximum speed, you won't have any problems flying.
He's over simplified things, you could still have serious problems depending on what you do with the drone.

If you fly in a strong wind, but less than the drone's max speed, your speed flying into the wind will be reduced significantly.
If you find yourself some distance downwind, the drone might make headway coming home, but not fast enough to get home before the battery runs down.
Or .. if you rely on RTH to bring the drone home, it's going to fly slower still
Or .. if you have RTH height set too high, it might put the drone up where the wind is even stronger etc, etc.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Va1entin