DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wilder's Addition Park

KennethH

Reactions
In revisiting the idea of flying anywhere in Orange County, CA, I've come across Wilder's Addition. A long beach with a lot of good scenery and around San Pedro, the main port south of Los Angeles.

In revisiting the idea of flying anywhere in Orange County, CA, I've come across Wilder's Addition. A long beach with a lot of good scenery and around San Pedro, the main port south of Los Angeles.
I still have to contact people in the area about whether there are any restrictions on drones. It was listed under places to fly in the LA area. Here are some shots of the area:

Wilders Beach1.jpg

It's a very long beach, with several seagull areas and more like this.

Wilders Beach2.jpg

WilderBeach3.jpg

Wilders Beach Park.jpg

Of course getting my wife to drive me there, even for a few hours, will be the real task.

Last edited:
I dont think that's the same beach in all those pics. I have been to Wilders (not to fly) and the beach is very rocky, Only the last pic looks like the same place.

Been thinking about flying there but not sure about the rules. Palos Verdes has very strong NO fly zone from all their parks and beaches. But technically, I think that park is part of LA not PV. But there's the rub, there's an old law on the books from the 70's bans the use of aerial vehicles landing and takeoff from all LA city parks. The same one they use to ban people from taking off from the Observatory.

Someone said they saw a no drone sigh just up the way at Point Fermin but I have not personally seen it. I have been to 3 or 4 website that say it's a great place to fly but I think it's changed and none of those sites to be honest have updated that info in years. Most are just blogs copy of info from other blogs. So I dont know.

Post here if you do fly and have any problems. Would like to know if it's cool to fly there or not.

I dont think that's the same beach in all those pics. I have been to Wilders (not to fly) and the beach is very rocky, Only the last pic looks like the same place.

Been thinking about flying there but not sure about the rules. Palos Verdes has very strong NO fly zone from all their parks and beaches. But technically, I think that park is part of LA not PV. But there's the rub, there's an old law on the books from the 70's bans the use of aerial vehicles landing and takeoff from all LA city parks. The same one they use to ban people from taking off from the Observatory.

Someone said they saw a no drone sigh just up the way at Point Fermin but I have not personally seen it. I have been to 3 or 4 website that say it's a great place to fly but I think it's changed and none of those sites to be honest have updated that info in years. Most are just blogs copy of info from other blogs. So I dont know.

Post here if you do fly and have any problems. Would like to know if it's cool to fly there or not.
All I know is those photos are all from the spread about Wilders Addition. Looking at the map, it is a very long stretch of park, cliffs and beaches.

I don't know if I'll ever get there. I need to call the number for Angels Gate Park at (310) 548-2631 to ask questions.

"This park is unstaffed, unlocked and open from dawn to dusk."

Angels Gate Park is No Drone, I e-mailed them once about point Fermin. They didnt go into detail, all they did was send this pic. They didnt answer about Point Fermin. Honeslty, I could see why that park specificlly is off limits, kind of a meditation place. But the beach is a different story. Wish they would have answered my question directly.

drones - Copy.jpg

Angels Gate Park is No Drone, I e-mailed them once about point Fermin. They didnt go into detail, all they did was send this pic. They didnt answer about Point Fermin. Honeslty, I could see why that park specificlly is off limits, kind of a meditation place. But the beach is a different story. Wish they would have answered my question directly.

View attachment 148820
Hmmm! To the question of Wilders Addition, I was told to call Angels Gate Park if I had questions. I don't even see Angels Gate Park on the map.

View attachment 148820
At least they didn't include "No breathing."

Reactions: Skyryder
Hmmm! To the question of Wilders Addition, I was told to call Angels Gate Park if I had questions. I don't even see Angels Gate Park on the map.
Who told you that? A park ranger? Angels Gate Park is basically where the Korean Bell in Rancho PV. It's on top of a hill overlooking the ocean just behind Point Fermin. Why is Wilders Addition part of Angels Gate?

I wonder if the beech is still considered part of the park? The bluff is the park, but there is a path and steps down the the rocky beach below. That may be under a different juidiction as a state beach or something.

View attachment 148820

Resurrecting an old thread, but just to update, it seems like Wilder's Addition has the same "No Drone" sign as shown above for Angels Gate (source):

WildersAddition.jpg

I remember seeing a sign like that for Angels Gate (posted last year by Skyryder). But this one says it is definitely for Wilders Addition. Well this answers that question, although I probably wouldn't have been able to talk my wife into driving us down there. I was told early last year to call the local park near there to ask if there were any restrictions. That sign says it loud and clear. Thanks amb9800 for making that clear. A bit strange that with so much of Wilders Addition being very open and accessible, that drones are not permitted. Maybe pilots abused the privilege.

Last edited:
Well the "park" is techinlly only that part of grass and trees on the bluff. If you take the trail down to the rocky beach, I wonder if it's techniclly still forbiden to fly a drone from there? Is the beach still part of the park?

I took it if I called Angels Gate Park, they could tell me about any restrictions for flying at Wilders Addition. Now I find that there is no flying at Angels Gate Park. They can meditate there all they want. Hmmmmmm...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefons82