DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will birds with nest be bothered by drone.

Jasonr38

Reactions
I have a really nice blue jay nest I dont want to run the birds off with my m2p. Has anybody had experience with nesting birds. I usually fly about 20 ft away I am wondering if that's far enough. We all know bird vs drone doesn't work out.

Reactions: Horacio Undurraga
I have a really nice blue jay nest I dont want to run the birds off with my m2p. Has anybody had experience with nesting birds. I usually fly about 20 ft away I am wondering if that's far enough. We all know bird vs drone doesn't work out.
Probably not the best idea, specially if their are babies.

personally I don’t bother a mother in her nest. One thing I do know they will protect their nest so if you want to lose your drone it’s a good way of doing it

Reactions: Thomas B
A lot of birds (even predatory type) can get used to the sound of your drone depending how you invade their airspace. If they feel if you are a threat or not is key. I've had more issues with swallows or birds that tend to swarm when spooked. YMMV

I have been trying to make a census of Humboldt penguins in an island near the coast.
My expierence was take of must de at least 75 meters away because of noise during take of.
Then try the height you can fly with out being percievedband the figure was about 25 meters altitute.
The other subject was that try to avoid approaching so as not be confused with a thread similar to eagle approach.
Next problems were sea gulls that defend their territories so all sensors must be on and mantain a good distance of 30 meters to seagulls.
One friend lost a drone by seagulls during take off so take off at least 75 meters and get to a safe altitude.
For the census was ver useful use of DronDeploy software

Reactions: FlyingB
I guess the primary concern is frightening the bird away from the nest permanently and therefore allowing the eggs to cool or chicks to die.

With that in mind it’s not worth the risk in my book.

Take care, stay safe and catch you later.

Peter

the birds take priority over your drone during nesting season,regardless of their location, you could be prosecuted,if you are found to be disturbing them

If the blue jays are anything like those in Yosemite National park they would be too interested in stealing your food to care about anything else..but..yeah...nesting birds are extremely protective

If you approach from directly above in HQ mode, you'll be able to stay far enough away to avoid being attacked, and can observe, without disturbing. You'll know if they are annoyed, and can just go higher. Much better tool for the job is the M2Z in 1080p 30fps, which lets you use 4x at 96mm. Keeps you that much farther away. If they do attack, just fly straight up. They can't follow.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22