DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will DJI ever upgrade the Air 3 to 12x total zoom?

No one is really right or wrong with this ,however you can do a better job in post by cropping

Again, "better" is entirely subjective.

That argument just doesn't apply to the picture of the mountain lion in the area that I snapped and posted to the local Facebook page last week.

The professional photographer POV is not the only, or most important, perspective.

Digital zoom in any camera either a DJI or any DLSR is pointless. Using a Topaz AI based enlargement and then cropping it will give much better results.

When I snapped that mountain lion to share on the local FB group (to let the community know), I wasn't about to do any of that.

I posted the digitally zoomed shot as is came off the camera. Without digital zoom, it would have been a spec in the picture.

People use pictures from camera drones for all sorts of things. Sweeping statements about it being "useless", "crap", "pointless" etc. do little more than scream arrogance and elitism about the author more than anything else.

Yes, digital zoom is not useful for a class of applications. It by no means is useless trash for all purposes. In fact, it's sorely missed for some uses, like my example. Another is search and rescue.

When I snapped that mountain lion to share on the local FB group (to let the community know), I wasn't about to do any of that.

I posted the digitally zoomed shot as is came off the camera. Without digital zoom, it would have been a spec in the picture.

People use pictures from camera drones for all sorts of things. Sweeping statements about it being "useless", "crap", "pointless" etc. do little more than scream arrogance and elitism about the author more than anything else.

Yes, digital zoom is not useful for a class of applications. It by no means is useless trash for all purposes. In fact, it's sorely missed for some uses, like my example. Another is search and rescue.
Another digital zoom use is LEO surveillance, where only identification is necessary, or war reconnaissance in Ukraine, where they happily sacrifice 10,000 Mavic 3's a month, because the 7x camera at up to 28x keeps the drone close enough not to be jammed by the Russians!

Can you share your mountain lion snap here?

oh boy.may as well save my breath

No one is really right or wrong with this ,however you can do a better job in post by cropping
as others have mentioned.All up to the individual.I do not have an Air 3 myself,as I am going to wait for the upgrade.Some others I am sure are going to be doing the same thing.
"you can do a better job" ... who's to say you can do better? Both methods are a means of achieving the result one wants. So it all depends on which method the "photographer" is better at achieving the result desired.

As one of my current drones an Autel Lite+ has a 1" 20mp sensor with variable app.
I would expect the Air 3 update to have the same,of course minus the variable app.

Take note, "aperture" has one 'p', which confused me, especially when you used an abbreviation almost universally used to mean "application".

As one of my current drones an Autel Lite+ has a 1" 20mp sensor with variable app.
I would expect the Air 3 update to have the same, of course minus the variable app.
So, basically, you want a Mavic 3 with the 3x instead of the 7x.
Why not just get the Mavic 3 Pro?
I'm sure you will find some use for the 7x and the included Explore mode, both of which are missing from the Air 3.

Because of spending 3 grand,and no use at all for the 7x zoom.Why spend all that money when the Air 3 already has
the same 70mm camera.And the main 4/3 camera on the mavic 3 pro is not exactly setting the world on fire with photo
quality ,as loosing sharpness on the edges of still photos.I am not making this up as there are complaints of photo quality
by some owners.Vidio I do not care at all about as I shoot mainly photos.So there you have it.I will wait for an Air 3 upgrade
like some others will be doing.
The Explore mode is even more useful for still shooters. No one is currently complaining about the still photos from the Mavic 3 or Mavic 3 Pro on the 4/3 sensor. They are far superior to anything from a 1” sensor. BTW, cost of the Mavic 3 Pro, including the charger, is only $2199, not $3,000.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman