DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will flying through fog damage the mavic?

Odoug04

Reactions
It looks amazing on a nice foggy morning, and all I want to do is get out the mavic and fly through it to get an amazing shot but will the fog cause water damage to the mavic or make it wet. Has anyone done this or had any experiences?

It looks amazing on a nice foggy morning, and all I want to do is get out the mavic and fly through it to get an amazing shot but will the fog cause water damage to the mavic or make it wet. Has anyone done this or had any experiences?

Honestly I won’t recommend it since fog contains water.

Reactions: ksmusa
Yes, it can cause issues. I've flown briefly in fog thick enough that I couldn't see my Mavic 50m away.

It came back damp, with small droplets on the blades, from a flight that lasted no more than a few minutes.

I would risk it again, provided I knew I could dry it out quickly.

Moisture is not your friend. I am guessing the electronics are hot enough to evaporate it but it could leave contaminants behind. You also are likely to loose LOS. Another consideration is the sensors need good lighting to work properly so you would have to rely on your video to avoid obstacles.

if the water vapor doesn't compromise it, you need to consider that you need to meet certain criteria with regards to ceiling, visibility, and not flying into clouds to be safe and legal.

Reactions: lrsn
There is a spray you can get to protect the components from water, but I can't remember what it's called, best to ask Tom at Tomstechtime. Com. He is also on you tube

I have flown my Mavic in fog, I don't do it too often because of many reasons, one being that as you gain altitude, the air is cooler, and causes the MP to get cold, as you descend it can pick up a lot of condensation like a cold drink in the summer. At the same time, the motors, battery and circuitry will be warm and should keep any condensation from forming. I flew my homemade quads, using DJI controllers and motors, and never had any problems, but sometimes when they landed they were very wet.

Fog is essentially a cloud at ground level. The FAA say that you must stay 500 feet below clouds. End of story.

Reactions: neggy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25