DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will the Mini 2 fly safely in rain?

Will the MINI 2 fly safely in the rain?
We recommend you get the Wet Suit as you have the open ports on the back , the motors are fine for the rain but not the landing sensor on the bottom so the Wet Suit will protect both those points as well as the battery.

The Mini 2 Wet Suit comes with Prop Covers as well but there needed to block out the Sand / Salt /Stones that can happen in a storm that can block your motors.

Once you have the Wet Suit your good to fly in the Rain

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain.

DJI specifically says don't fly in the rain. Nothing can protect the motors, bearings, shafts; and the IMU is not waterproof. The aircraft is fan cooled and sucking in wet air and blowing it across the circuits while flying also isn't a good idea.

A foam or vinyl decal might help slow water ingress at the obvious seams they may cover, but you are doing nothing for ingress via the forced air vents (or if these rain kits obstruct the air vents, you're probably inviting other failure mechanisms). Not to mention the most sensitive part of the drone: the gimbal and camera.

If thinking a sticker kit may protect the drone, you might ask if there's any warranty for water damage or lost rainy day flights.

When it comes to flying in the Rain you can capture some amazing footage with the Mini 2 , here are two most recent videos with the Mini 2 Geared up with the Wet Suit for video , We also have captured some brutal lightning pictures as well. Just to much fun in the Storm,

also check out the Lightning Pictures taken in the storm. Phantomrain.org

We recommend you get the Wet Suit as you have the open ports on the back , the motors are fine for the rain but not the landing sensor on the bottom so the Wet Suit will protect both those points as well as the battery.

The Mini 2 Wet Suit comes with Prop Covers as well but there needed to block out the Sand / Salt /Stones that can happen in a storm that can block your motors.

Phantomrain.org
Fascinating.....

Reactions: RMS001
I can attest for Phantomrain's Wetsuit performance. I've been using it, on my Mini 2, and my Mavic Air 2, with zero issues, for almost a full year now, and I've had numerous Rainy Day flights. Zero issues. I'm always sure to properly dry it after, which is key. With the battery out, and door open, I simply dry the surface, as much as possible, and place a fan behind it, forcing airflow through the drone, for around 24hrs. Not so much as a rusted screw head.
As stated, if your ports are covered, and your sensors are protected by the drip plate, then flying in light to moderate rain, is definitely achievable.

Reactions: RMS001
I can attest for Phantomrain's Wetsuit performance. I've been using it, on my Mini 2, and my Mavic Air 2, with zero issues, for almost a full year now, and I've had numerous Rainy Day flights. Zero issues. I'm always sure to properly dry it after, which is key. With the battery out, and door open, I simply dry the surface, as much as possible, and place a fan behind it, forcing airflow through the drone, for around 24hrs. Not so much as a rusted screw head.
As stated, if your ports are covered, and your sensors are protected by the drip plate, then flying in light to moderate rain, is definitely achievable.

You're covering the vent ports?

Phantomrain.org
Fascinating.

This video is the first clear sense I've gotten for how the rainsuits work.

I was having a hard time imagining why I would *want* to fly in the rain. This suggests flying from a covered porch, where the pilot stays dry even when the drone gets wet.

I could see doing that!

Of course, where I live it rains so little, that it's mostly academic.

Thanks for posting this!

:)

TCS

You're covering the vent ports?
No the Vent Ports are not blocked but they are redirected. The Surge Mask on the bottom with the Safety Lock protects the Sensors From getting confused with the Rain drops on the lens.

The Vent Ports are not closed just slightly redirected , no big deal, mini 2 breathes nicely in the Rain.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain and Float

• Love
Reactions: 1TenaciousG
Fascinating.

This video is the first clear sense I've gotten for how the rainsuits work.

I was having a hard time imagining why I would *want* to fly in the rain. This suggests flying from a covered porch, where the pilot stays dry even when the drone gets wet.

:)

TCS
So the Wet Suits for the DJI drones were really for those that need to fly there drone every day rain or shine.
Example the Swiss Train Company uses the Mavic 2 Drones for there entire fleet to evaluate the Mountain conditions for there rail ways and we supply the Wet Suit for them.

Others such as myself are in if for the Adventure of capturing the Storm and the chase for Lightning shots , its not tornado chasing kind of adventure but none the less its pretty fun. Sunset pics are fun but Storm pictures are amazing.

Phantomrain.org
Just ordered mine. Looking forward to getting it !

Not trying to get off topic but what are you flying with those props ?
These are a set of caps, and center hubs, that accommodate any Mini 2 Blades including oem props, or even M.A.S. Stealth Props, as well. The red blades came stock, with the set, but, ive switched them out with many others, over the years, with no issues.
I usually only install them when I'm carrying a Payload, or launching at high altitudes.
Throughout extensive testing, I've never had any adverse effects.
I hope this answers your question. :)

Attachments

• USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1653134393508_6933748199230688977.jpg
    USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1653134393508_6933748199230688977.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: dirkclod
JMHO

I really don't see the need to fly in the rain if it requires ignoring the safety factors of a flight? Getting a "great" photo is not a reason. It's an excuse to ignore a pre-flight safety check.

1. Can inclement weather impede the stability and navigation features provided by flight sensors? YES

2. Can inclement weather impede control link performance and range? YES

3. Can inclement weather cause 'in flight' equipment failure? YES

4. Can the high amplitude pulse of lightning possibly distort or corrupt 2.4 & 5.8Ghz signals? YES

5. Can VLOS conditions change abruptly in inclement weather? YES

6. Can inclement weather obscure the visual identification of UAV's by a commercial aircraft? YES

7. Can a sudden burst of rain obscure your FPV camera? YES

8. Is it statistically possible that flying your UAV during inclement weather may cause injury or damage? YES

YES ......
my flight is cancelled. I really hate the steps the FAA has taken in controlling this hobby over the past ten years but it's beginning to make sense to me now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rudyr