DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

wind and the Mavic Mini an unexpected outcome

@chriscuk My thoughts exactly, couldnt have put it better! I was in the New category 2, and i bought a Mavic Pro because of its slightly better wind capabilities and video options. When you put the mini in the air and let it hover in just a bit of breeze you can hear the motors trying to fight it, and it does a great job up to around 15mph wind speed. I wouldnt think anything at 249g could handle much more, it is a feather in the breeze after all.

Yes, don't get me wrong I do have a laugh but there are new flyers in here looking for solutions to their problems.

Why the hell aren't DJI more active in forums !!!!!!
I think more humour is needed, not less....

As for DJI - if you want them to be active, maybe try going on their actual forum?

On their forum though they tend to just delete criticism. I've seen it happen :( - they still fixed problems though.
At least here stuff tends to stay unless people are being rude to one another.

On their forum though they tend to just delete criticism. I've seen it happen :( - they still fixed problems though.
At least here stuff tends to stay unless people are being rude to one another.
....or if you criticize management in any way.

Slight problem with the release time of year (Winter for Europe and most of North America) not the best time of year to fly, but heh, best time of year for giving gifts ………..

Why the hell not an firmware update so as it knows its in RTH and sees the distance increasing instead of decreasing and switch to mode S.
At least even if there is not enough battery to make it all the way you might be lucky and get a reconnection on the remote and land somewhere you know to pick it up latter.
The simple (and yes tongue in cheek) answer is that "you can't fix stupid". There is only so much those tiny motors can do in a strong wind. More important is that a pilot should plan and be prepared. You can't just go out there with 20 mph winds (gusting to 50+) and then blame DJI for not saving your drone from your own lack of planning.

I haven't flown in weeks now due simply to weather conditions. When I check winds aloft and see gusts to 50+ mph, I don't even think about sending any of my drones up there.

I guess in hindsight we could have seen this coming. The recipe for disaster included:
  • 1 part: very cheap entry level drone that almost anyone can afford as a beginner drone
  • 1 part: advertising that shows young people having fun on the beach with the MM
  • 1 part: small weak motors that cannot handle strong wind conditions
  • 1 part: making it so light that it requires no registration. Making it seem even more like a toy that anyone can just power up and fly.
  • Thousands of parts: First time pilots who take zero time to research and plan.

One thing, where are you seeing the great number of flyaways? I just went over to that portion of the forums and it’s the same guys with the same fly always over the last few weeks and again most all is operator. No disrespect intended but it’s like you want to stir up a hornets nest? I mean that as lightheartedly as possible.
no not trying to stir up anything,my thread was my take on the whole MM thing ,and everyone is entitled to their own opinion about the MM,most of us on this forum feel very passionate about our pastime ,and that generates a comadre between us ,no one has to agree with what i post,anymore that i have to agree with what others post,different parts of the world have different takes on many many subjects ,and those differences make this forum a better place

Reactions: Camino Ken
  • Reading a manual (perhaps even thoroughly and more than once),
  • understanding it
  • accepting the stated limitations as given and non-negotiable
seem to be forgotten virtues nowadays...
Just like proper "end to end" planning...

Instead we live in a world of "agile development" where plans are made on the go and changed on the fly until we eventually end up somewhere (20 years ago we had a different name for "agile": we called it "try and error" and tried to avoid it)

IMHO many (but by no means all) of the reported problems could have been avoided with a more conservative approach, following the three bullets above - but people got triggered by marketing and YT to participate in the "more and more" challenge against the natural laws of physics. If you don't listen, you have to pay the price.....

Anyway, I enjoy my Mini and I am desperately looking forward to better weather conditions and longer daylight times :)
And apart from a slightly bent propeller from drifting indoors into a wall I haven't suffered any severe damage yet - but I don't complain since it was my own fault (and it still flies)

To your three bullets I would add:
  • Fly as though all your local regulations regarding +250g RPAS' applied; then you will have a legitimate claim to "common sense"

• Reading a manual (perhaps even thoroughly and more than once),
  • understanding it
  • accepting the stated limitations as given and non-negotiable
seem to be forgotten virtues nowadays...
Just like proper "end to end" planning...

Instead we live in a world of "agile development" where plans are made on the go and changed on the fly until we eventually end up somewhere (20 years ago we had a different name for "agile": we called it "try and error" and tried to avoid it)

IMHO many (but by no means all) of the reported problems could have been avoided with a more conservative approach, following the three bullets above - but people got triggered by marketing and YT to participate in the "more and more" challenge against the natural laws of physics. If you don't listen, you have to pay the price.....

Anyway, I enjoy my Mini and I am desperately looking forward to better weather conditions and longer daylight times :)
And apart from a slightly bent propeller from drifting indoors into a wall I haven't suffered any severe damage yet - but I don't complain since it was my own fault (and it still flies)

Reactions: old man mavic
I must admit, I love my little mini and are looking for a used mavic pro as well already.
I understand why all the threads about lost drones can be a bit frustrating.
But for me it really made me improve my knowledge about flying conditions and the mini.
I'm sure the reason I'm not (hopefully) going to loose my mini, is reading about all those who do.

BTW @sar104 & Co, I'm really impressed with the work you guys put into flyaways. Big respect! Thats something people should look up to, I know I do.

Last edited:
New to the Mini & treating wind issues very conservatively. Today (and for the past few days) we have gusty winds in FL 10 - 15 mph steady, gusts to 25 common. So I took my mini to the backyard (actually wanted to test geo unlocking) and flew it up between the houses to an altitude of about 12 ft. At this elevation winds were around 10 - 15 and it was working hard (p-mode) to stay in place but doing a nice job. I bumped it up to 23 ft, which cleared the rooftops, and watched while listening to the motors. Winds were gustier here. The craft was clearly working hard and being whacked by gusts. It was frequently blown off station a foot or two. Direction relative to wind made big differences also. This, without receiving a wind warning. I bumped it up a bit more and got the wind warning. Watching the Mini in these winds gave me a much greater appreciation for its limitations and how badly it is being impacted once a wind warning is seen. The gimbol does such a nice job of smoothing out the motion the pilot doesn't see it. I bet if I flew in FPV mode it would scare me even more. Think I'll try that in some wind next. I bet new flyers would be much more cautious in wind if the tried this first in a safe place at low altitudes on a windy day.

well what a saga the first small ultra light drone from DJI has become
so many different opinions on its capabilities and the new fly app
there's been amazement from some,disappointment from others
but there is one constant running through the whole saga,the MM cannot handle windy conditions
so many lost drones so many unhappy flyers because it can't do this or that like its big brothers
myself and many much more learned people on this forum ,have spent a lot of time trying to inform others about the issues the MM seems to have
it,s clear that the MMs short cummings will probably be aired for a long time to come on the forum
i hope that the stories about lost and crashed MMs get less and less as time goes on
i personally will not be commenting on such events any more, which will please a lot of people i suspect,as i think the subject has been covered enough on the forum
I am very conservative also with the wind. Better to be safe than sorry! I still love the mini but my P4 is my favorite.

Attachments

• 5260C389-A63F-4C0D-AB0C-0A533AFAEED6.jpeg
    5260C389-A63F-4C0D-AB0C-0A533AFAEED6.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 26
  • 65F5F530-9FEE-41BD-9F23-A34DD429148B.jpeg
    65F5F530-9FEE-41BD-9F23-A34DD429148B.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 25
New to the Mini & treating wind issues very conservatively. Today (and for the past few days) we have gusty winds in FL 10 - 15 mph steady, gusts to 25 common. So I took my mini to the backyard (actually wanted to test geo unlocking) and flew it up between the houses to an altitude of about 12 ft. At this elevation winds were around 10 - 15 and it was working hard (p-mode) to stay in place but doing a nice job. I bumped it up to 23 ft, which cleared the rooftops, and watched while listening to the motors. Winds were gustier here. The craft was clearly working hard and being whacked by gusts. It was frequently blown off station a foot or two. Direction relative to wind made big differences also. This, without receiving a wind warning. I bumped it up a bit more and got the wind warning. Watching the Mini in these winds gave me a much greater appreciation for its limitations and how badly it is being impacted once a wind warning is seen. The gimbol does such a nice job of smoothing out the motion the pilot doesn't see it. I bet if I flew in FPV mode it would scare me even more. Think I'll try that in some wind next. I bet new flyers would be much more cautious in wind if the tried this first in a safe place at low altitudes on a windy day.
Glad I'm not the only conservative pilot. Better to be safe than sorry. Fly safe.

Using the UAV Forecast, and flying only when "OK", so far I haven't even had a "high winds" warning. As I gain more experience and willingness to take more chances, that might change, but so far, so good!

Hi everyone. It surprises me to read, that there are pilots who say that they cannot fly with wind, or that because of the wind they are seen on the ship ... but we do not want to understand, who buys this drone KNOWS OF WELL THAT WEIGHS ONLY 249g !! It is not weighed to move it away 4 Kilometers, nor strain it in conditions where it could be beaten by a P4. The mini has its limitations for its size and weight, but is very capable with all its functions. It is a great drone, and it gives many joys if its limitations are respected. It is my humble opinion, of course.

Using the UAV Forecast, and flying only when "OK", so far I haven't even had a "high winds" warning. As I gain more experience and willingness to take more chances, that might change, but so far, so good!
That is, very good mate. Like you, I try to fly without any risk, and if there is wind, that is within the limitation of the mini. So far zero problems.

Old Man Mavic I have only been here a short time but I have already learned some useful things from you and have also come to recognize you as someone with useful insight, advice and experience.

With that said I think you would only being doing us all a disservice if you stopped chiming in on the subject. I think the more we discuss it the closer we will get to getting the Minis problems identified.

Just my 2 cents...

Old Man Mavic I have only been here a short time but I have already learned some useful things from you and have also come to recognize you as someone with useful insight, advice and experience.

With that said I think you would only being doing us all a disservice if you stopped chiming in on the subject. I think the more we discuss it the closer we will get to getting the Minis problems identified.

Just my 2 cents...
@Airbeaver thank you for your comments ,the reason i said i would stop commenting on the MMs issues, was because i felt that there was so much hate and anger being directed towards it because of the issues being encountered, i myself have over 55 flights under my belt with it and at one point i encountered the prop hitting the body issue,at the moment, since i did my front arm stiffener mod, i have had no further issues, as long as it is flown with regards to its size and weight then as i have said before it compliments my MPP for doing close range work without worrying about doing harm to my MPP in given situations and scenarios

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Igwe3