DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wind & Battery

MavicFT1P

Reactions
I couldnt find exactly what i wanted in search/previous threads, So i'll ask:

Does anyone have like a graph or algorithm for how much more battery Mavic uses in crosswind?

Mavic does such a good job at staying level/or giving you that appearance that it is with the gimbal, you can forget
Just how hard the engines must work in a crosswind to keep you in centered.

I was wondering if anyone had calculated:
Just how much harder Mavic works/battery depletion increases as the crosswind does?

Think of it in terms of basic ascending/descending/hovering.
The work it does to keep you in your cozy 1x1 GPS Locale in the sky?

Any Help/Insight Appreciated :)

it would be impossible to calculate unless you knew what the original algorithms were ,there are so many variables to contend with and they are constantly changing any outside force applied to the drone is going to effect the battery consumption

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
it would be impossible to calculate unless you knew what the original algorithms were ,there are so many variables to contend with and they are constantly changing any outside force applied to the drone is going to effect the battery consumption

Is there a weather app that shows , in real time, the wind at any given altitude?
Below 400ft of course..

Is there a weather app that shows , in real time, the wind at any given altitude?
Below 400ft of course..
UAV Forecast gives wind speed at different altitudes but they are predictions based on weather models not real speeds but they do show that wind speed does increase as you go higher,every time you fly your UAV you are doing so in different conditions,and therefore the flight time you get will vary according to how you flew ie your speed,height,ascending,descending,ect all those factors effect battery life

Thanks for chimin in OMM.
I was hoping for something from a personal experience perspective.

For whatever reason I just haven't had much experience hovering in one place GPS mode in High Winds.
I'll settle for; it's normal to experience high battery drain Hovering in High Winds (up to 50-60km/h).

I forgot to mention i got a discharge warning while hovering.
I only get these when the stick is pinned. Older Batteries mostly

So it told me that, despite no sensation of being jostled on the video, and the GPS showing me moving no more than a metre
in any direction, there was clearly some High Rpms happening

Trying to judge how much battery depletion with wind is preety near impossible since it will be different according to windspeed and how fast your moving. The best thing is to watch you % as your flying then you'll know when to bringer home. Fly into the wind when possable so it can help you gey home on less battery

Ive a M1P. it gives you wind warning in a gentle breeze, so they desensitize you
if anything to Wind conditions.

I dont know about the M2 or the SC..
I heard the M2 Auto Lands in really high wind. So Stupid

My drone is in very slight danger of crashing due to high wind, Can you please make it
so it Auto-lands into a Duck Pond and definitely crashes. Thanks DJI

I trust NLD gets rid of that feature for Mav2

Last edited:
Trying to judge how much battery depletion with wind is preety near impossible since it will be different according to windspeed and how fast your moving. The best thing is to watch you % as your flying then you'll know when to bringer home. Fly into the wind when possable so it can help you gey home on less battery

Once again thanks. But im not moving, Im hovering in GPS mode is the point

I limited the Concept to Hovering in place in high wind, so some sort of graph/algorithm could
be feasible.
Obviously if your manevouring, any such thing would be impossible to caluclate

Edit: ok i said ascending/descending/Hovering. What i meant was one Column of air.

I should just have said Hovering, sorry. So ideally the Graph would be X CrossWind Speed (constant direction) vs Y Battery depletion rate.
Is sar104 about? lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanManNYC