DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wind Turbines @ the Golden Hour

f13dfx

Reactions
Hello All! Hope everyone is keeping well & staying safe. Here's a short clip of my first attempt at filming during a Sunrise Golden Hour using a Freewell ND32 Polarizer. I thought that this was one of my best shots & will be spending more time editing & putting together edits from 2 hours of video. Please critique, good, bad or indifferent. DJI_0280.MP4_20200725_215552.689.jpg

Real nice !!
If I were you I would be very pleased , an awesome shot , no doubt about it .
I spent a few years doing R+D on wind turbines in Scotland.
So I might be a little biased .
So the ND filter was used to improve the detail ??.
I haven’t gotten around to using filters yet, that’s why I ask .

Super picture !.

Real nice !!
If I were you I would be very pleased , an awesome shot , no doubt about it .
I spent a few years doing R+D on wind turbines in Scotland.
So I might be a little biased .
So the ND filter was used to improve the detail ??.
I haven’t gotten around to using filters yet, that’s why I ask .

Super picture !.
First of all thanks for the kind comments! I do a lot of travelling on business & the odd time if I know that there is something scenic where I’m headed, I will pack my Mavic 2 Pro. I’m getting old & frankly don’t have the time to do post-production, so I took the advice of this gentleman & his great YouTube tutorial using ND Polarizer Filters to make colors “pop out”.

Last edited:
Credit where credit’s due !.
I guess it’s nice to travel but it’s nicer to come home .
If you get to fly different countries it’s a bonus .
I’m not into the whole picture enhancing stuff , more just the flying and the odd still shot mostly , a little bit of video but that’s just for me , so no editing or perfect sound tracks .
I have the mavic 2 but the zoom version , which I personally like for framing photos and for getting shots without getting into fighter pilot reactions and skill on the joysticks .

I live in Alberta which is beautiful place to live all year round , as long as you don’t mind trees in every shot or minus forty in the winter.

If you don’t mind me asking where you took the photo , just for my curious mind .

I wish you well and happy flying .

Credit where credit’s due !.
I guess it’s nice to travel but it’s nicer to come home .
If you get to fly different countries it’s a bonus .
I’m not into the whole picture enhancing stuff , more just the flying and the odd still shot mostly , a little bit of video but that’s just for me , so no editing or perfect sound tracks .
I have the mavic 2 but the zoom version , which I personally like for framing photos and for getting shots without getting into fighter pilot reactions and skill on the joysticks .

I live in Alberta which is beautiful place to live all year round , as long as you don’t mind trees in every shot or minus forty in the winter.

If you don’t mind me asking where you took the photo , just for my curious mind .

I wish you well and happy flying .
Hello again! I took photos & video over at Pincher Creek near Hwy 810 & Township Road 80. I actually posted this mid-day video I edited at that location. Cheers!

Howdy .

I did wonder because both my kids were/still are at college down that way , and we have taken the scenic route to go visit or haul their belongings back and forth .
I’m a little 5 or so hrs north of your picture .

Oh and thanks for the video link for ND filters .

I literally just did an experiment with my filters .
So it’s extremely sunny right now no clouds , I removed the props ,sat the mavic on a table and took 7 photos,.

So 32nd , 16nd , 8nd , 4nd ,uv and polarizing filter .

I’ve looked at the photos and I’m struggling to see much difference, the only thing I could point out is the sky is more bluish “if that’s a real word “ maybe more blue .

Apart from that I’m not seeing much .
They aren’t the best filters on the market ,I just wanted to try some out and see if I could justify buying a better set.

So is there an error with my experiment , my eyes don’t work .
I wasn’t expecting huge differences .
Do the filters work better for 4K ? Or is the smaller lens of the zoom a factor ?.

I should have looked at the video before asking all of these questions , sorry.

ND filters (the ones without Polarizers) just act like sunglasses & do not change the picture at all. The one Polarizer filter you have can be rotated to get the best effect. You can hold it with your fingers & rotate the lens & you will see it darken & colors more vivid, like wearing polarized RayBan sunglasses :)

Now the NDxx Polarizer Filters cut down on the GLARE from the sun bouncing off objects you are shooting resulting in making the colors more vivid. Depending on the type of day it is you would start with an ND8 Polarizer for a Cloudy Day & go all the way up to an ND32 Polarizer for Bright Sunny Days. Hope this helps!

Ps. I also bumped the contrast to +2 in color style. And do not shoot in Auto or Dlog-M. Shoot in Normal, 4K HQ quality, H264.

Thanks
I watched the video but you folks with the pro have way more buttons on the camera side than the poorer zoom people.
I remember back in my SLR days that the polarizing filters came on a swivel type so that you could adjust the light to where you wanted , but on a drone you don’t really have that option .
Also I guess I should have looked into it more but my ND filters don’t have polarizers on them .

Oh well thanks for the talk and I’ll putter away it and see where I get .

Well thanks again

Stay safe .

Sorry, forgot you had the M2Z. My advice would be to go with the Polarizer. Have the lens set so both markers meet. Set your ISO to 100 and see what you come up with. Good luck & stay safe!

Hello All! Hope everyone is keeping well & staying safe. Here's a short clip of my first attempt at filming during a Sunrise Golden Hour using a Freewell ND32 Polarizer. I thought that this was one of my best shots & will be spending more time editing & putting together edits from 2 hours of video. Please critique, good, bad or indifferent. View attachment 108928
Sorry mate, very boring.

However that shadow the blades were throwing off was cool. You could have worked with that some more.

You were too far away from the action, you really didn’t capture any meaning, you just kinda filmed for the sake of filming a very cliche subject.

Whilst not ‘rubbish’, you could get closer to the action, think more about the story, good light is great, but that alone doesn’t do the heavy lifting. Pity you ignored those ominous shadows!

Sorry, forgot you had the M2Z. My advice would be to go with the Polarizer. Have the lens set so both markers meet. Set your ISO to 100 and see what you come up with. Good luck & stay safe!
His photography was bang on. A polariser only works at 90 degrees to the light so would have done nothing here. Sorry mate, that’s not great advice. All it would have done is added a useless piece of glass to the stack that would have taken away the sharpness. I think your advice about using ISO 100 is a bit misguided too, expose for the average, too low (ISO 100) and you won’t recover highlights. Bad advice!
Try and stay at 200-400 or just let Auto ISO do the heavy lifting here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest