DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wind warning based upon mode?

Fort Pierce Pilot

Turning downwind and climbing
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Took the mini up to shoot some tennis play on our newly refinished courts. Surface winds were light and the flag at the clubhouse was hanging limply. I have flown the Mini in higher wind conditions and was a bit surprised to receive a couple high wind alerts. I was at 120 - 220 ft AGL so it's to be expected winds might be higher. Lately I have been switching to C mode for my flights. I get better impromptu video from which I often grab single frames for posting on various social media. I looked at the logs in AirData and found my high wind alarms were around 12 knots of wind. In P mode these are typically 17 - 18. I thought I read here that this warning is really generated by how hard the drone was working to keep position so when I thought about it a warning at lower speeds in C-Mode - where speed is most limited - made sense. Does this jive with other's experiences?

I think the wind warnings going to remain the same regardless of the mode (8m/s max resistance).

I've noticed on days of low surface wind of say under 10mph (the apps I use only distinguishes between surface, 300 feet, 600 feet and so forth), that if I go up 80+ feet that sometimes I'll get the wind warning even if I switch to sports mode, and will usually lower the altitude from there. It's possible that there was a gust in the region that wasn't at the surface level.

This guy puts a little chart of popular models, 19mph is risky for the mini, 15mph being the moderate limit (but gusts will usually be stronger). Should I fly a drone in high winds? (with scary example!) - Tame Sky

And I would rely on forecasts/reports rather than the flag of the clubhouse.

Or like today in my area, the current winds are around 10-12mph, which isn't bad, but the gust is a freaking 38~40mph.

Last edited:
I think the wind warnings going to remain the same regardless of the mode (8m/s max resistance).

I've noticed on days of low surface wind of say under 10mph (the apps I use only distinguishes between surface, 300 feet, 600 feet and so forth), that if I go up 80+ feet that sometimes I'll get the wind warning even if I switch to sports mode, and will usually lower the altitude from there. It's possible that there was a gust in the region that wasn't at the surface level.

This guy puts a little chart of popular models, 19mph is risky for the mini, 15mph being the moderate limit (but gusts will usually be stronger). Should I fly a drone in high winds? (with scary example!) - Tame Sky

And I would rely on forecasts/reports rather than the flag of the clubhouse.

Or like today in my area, the current winds are around 10-12mph, which isn't bad, but the gust is a freaking 38~40mph.
Forecasts are useful. I live in a LAANC area I get current data when I apply for authorization. That flagpole is where I was flying - about 15ft AGL. I use the data inferred by AirData to look at wind conditions encountered when reviewing the flight. I don't intentionally fly in high wind so my data on flights where a warning was generated is limited. I have several flights in P mode where winds were at these levels with no warnings. Max gust encountered was 14.7 mph = 6.5m/s. The 8 m/s figure (=~18mph) is about what I recall on the one or two occasions I had warnings in the past. They would have been in pmode. Thus my curiosity....

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00