DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wind warning with no wind

Malcx

Reactions
I was doing a flight this morning and received a strong wind warning despite there being no wind.

The flight was over a valley that dropped away 50m below take off point.
I was flying 10m above take off point so effectively 60m AGL

The forecast was for gusts of 3mph for the entire region at a height of 100m.

There was no breeze at all where I was stood.

When flying the mini with the stick fully forward I was getting the red wind warning. As soon as I eased off on the stick it was no longer coming up.

I know that wind is hard to judge at altitude and valleys might be a bit strange, but I'm pretty sure there were not gusts of 20mph+ at the same height as me only 200m out.
Is this normal or might there have been some undue strain on the motors?

Flight logs contain an estimation of wind where the drone is. Perhaps have a look at them and see if winds were much higher out over the valley compared to where you were. From my experience the high wind warning appears when the drone thinks it is seeing 8m/s winds or more (17.8mph).

it was more likely to have been sensing the updraft from the valley floor ,you can have quite a powerful one as warm air rises even if it does not appear to be windy similar principle to a thermal

Reactions: THE CYBORG
I think I have seen wind warnings that may be quirks at the end of full throttle dashes, P or S mode, but not everytime. The remainder of the wind warnings that I have seen are, I think, kosher even if they are either localised gusts or eddies.
Since this is a recent flight and its log probably easily identifiable posting its DAT log might be useful/interesting

Thanks for the advice guys - I for some reason only have the first half of the flight in the log on the phone and that didn't cover the period with the wind warnings (I suspect there was a sync issue with another device)

The period covered unfortunately doesn't include the bit with the wind warnings so I'm no better informed.

OMM it could have been an updraft but, but this was right at the start of the day (the sun was barely peeking over the horizon) so the temp difference shouldn't have been enough to cause any great draft.

Still you never know! I'll keep an eye out and try the same location when it's next suitable weather!

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu