DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Working - Am I splitting hairs or is this a problem?

Zeke

Reactions
So I work for a consulting engineering firm as a senior designer, and we sometimes work on expansions/remodels of existing buildings. When we work on existing buildings part of my scope of work is to visit the site and field verify certain elements that I'm responsible for (including elements on the roof). In areas where flight is permissible, I'm considering using the drone to record/document rooftop equipment and conditions instead of hauling my [Removed by ADMIN] up onto the roof.

Even though I'm paid for my time (it's my job) since I'm using the drone as a tool, and not technically using it to "make money" as a business, I'm wondering if I'm running afoul of the intent of Part 107.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are not flying recreationally, then you need a Part 107. The exchange of money doesn't factor in except that flying for pay is not recreational. You can fly for free and it not be recreational as well. I don't see your case as a recreational flight so I think you should get your Part 107.

Reactions: mavictk and Zeke
Rules are simple, it's for fun, or it's not.... and as soon as you wrote, "hauling my fat a$$ up onto the roof", we knew it was not fun...

rec.png
Here is the FAA's web page... You need to have the Part 107 License...

Reactions: mavictk and Zeke
So I work for a consulting engineering firm as a senior designer, and we sometimes work on expansions/remodels of existing buildings. When we work on existing buildings part of my scope of work is to visit the site and field verify certain elements that I'm responsible for (including elements on the roof). In areas where flight is permissible, I'm considering using the drone to record/document rooftop equipment and conditions instead of hauling my fat a$$ up onto the roof.

Even though I'm paid for my time (it's my job) since I'm using the drone as a tool, and not technically using it to "make money" as a business, I'm wondering if I'm running afoul of the intent of Part 107.

Thoughts?
That would be under part 107

Reactions: mavictk
Get your 107. If you’re an engineer, you’re capable of learning the information and passing the test. Research this forum for 107 courses and your employer should pay for the course and test.

Get your 107. If you’re an engineer, you’re capable of learning the information and passing the test. Research this forum for 107 courses and your employer should pay for the course and test.
They should pay for a drone as well, and insurance. It's a work-related write-off for them.

If you are considering acquiring your Part 107 License, here is a link to get you going…

The Pilot Institute is one of the Sponsors of this web site and I do not believe you will find one less-than stellar review of their training program.

The program is broken down into easy to digest, manageable sections, that deal with just one subject at a time. The videos are interesting and entertaining. The instructor, Greg Reverdiau, gives lively and entertaining instruction with real world examples that bring the concepts home. Besides, a Part 107 License may be a life-long certification, but the FAA requires you to recertify every 24-months and the Pilot Institute enrollment remains valid "forever" so that when it is tome renew the currency of the license, you can lof back on to refresh your knowledge and learn the latest changes to the rules and laws.

Finally, I am not an employee or associated with the PI other than being a very satisfied student.

As has already been mentioned, this is the type of professional training your employer should be very happy to pay for rather than risk you being injured on the job just to get a look see of a roof. The entire cost of the course is probably less than just one-hour of disability pay…

That's how I would "sell" it to your employer…

So I work for a consulting engineering firm as a senior designer, and we sometimes work on expansions/remodels of existing buildings. When we work on existing buildings part of my scope of work is to visit the site and field verify certain elements that I'm responsible for (including elements on the roof). In areas where flight is permissible, I'm considering using the drone to record/document rooftop equipment and conditions instead of hauling my [Removed by ADMIN] up onto the roof.

Thoughts?
You will most definitely be conducting a part 107 activity. Will you get caught? Probably not.

Now, in your own words:…

"I work for a consulting engineering firm as a senior designer, and we sometimes work on expansions/remodels of existing buildings."

"I'm considering using the drone to record/document rooftop equipment and conditions instead of hauling my [Removed by ADMIN] up onto the roof."

So, let's be clear, your boss is paying you to haul your (redacted Body Part) up onto that roof to perform a visual and physical inspection. If your boss expects you to perform a function and you take a shortcut (using a drone) and that cute video that you took of the roof does not turn up a very expensive or hazardous problem, how do you think your boss will feel about you sitting in your air conditioned car "playing with your drone…"

There are very specific rules about flying a drone, flying a drone over people, flying a drone around structures, etc… And if you do not learn the laws and rules governing your drone flying to acquire a Part 107 License, and if I was one of your companies' competitors and I learned that your company was taking short cuts that might put my workers at risk, I would turn you in faster than it took me to type this up…

Last edited:

Thoughts?
Couple issues here:
- Because you are using the drone to perform work for the company that pays you, there is a strong argument that you are, in fact doing it for compensation.

- Even though you are operating the drone individually, you are operating it as an agent of the firm that employs you. As such, your acts are attributed to the company. People watching you fly the drone would assume that it is a company drone. As such, the company may take the hit in addition to you.

- Given those two factors, I would highly recommend that you run your plan up the company flagpole and get their endorsement. Naturally, that would also include you getting your Part 107.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Couple issues here:
- Because you are using the drone to perform work for the company that pays you, there is a strong argument that you are, in fact doing it for compensation.

- Even though you are operating the drone individually, you are operating it as an agent of the firm that employs you. As such, your acts are attributed to the company. People watching you fly the drone would assume that it is a company drone. As such, the company may take the hit in addition to you.

- Given those two factors, I would highly recommend that you run your plan up the company flagpole and get their endorsement. Naturally, that would also include you getting your Part 107.
And even with a Part 107, you couldn't just use the drone for the work without the company's prior approval. They may have specific policies in place or are only authorized to handle inspections in a certain way or only have insurance for specific types of "what if" which may not include a drone crashing into the property.

I think he got the point, y'all... ;-)>

Second vote for Drone Institute. I've used Greg's stuff to prepare and feel very ready for the test on Monday. He's got a good set of flash cards as an app as well. Went slow due to existing day job and took a month for it. You'll also find some other flight schools that put a few free tests on the web; I recommend taking as many as you can from different sources to exercise the knowledge.

Thoughts?
Like others on here said. Gotta have Part 107.

On another note, I do fly for commercial real estate companies and do roof scans for due diligence. UAS are great for this type of work. I would not use them for hail identification, but for documenting and identifying other types of damage, they are great.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000