DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Working on your drone the smart way

Willie14228

Reactions
I've done quite a few teardowns on small motors and other models and thought I would pass down some tricks I've found that save a lot of heartache and headache
1. Use a green felt table cover, there are three reasons for this visibility small dropped parts are easy to see , soft no scratches, and things have less chance of rolling off the table
2. Record everything a good overhead camera can be your saving grace.
3. Don't start till you are ready to finish, true you may find a broken part that you didn't expect but the longer you leave the project disassembled the more chance parts get lost and easier to forget how a part fit or came out. Do a lot of research and make sure you have the right tools to do the job the right way. DON'T SKIMP ON YOUR TOOLS. Buy a good set of screwdrivers with well made hardened tips and a good set of polly pry's never use metal to pry off connections, one slip across your circuit board and your will be in a world of hurt
4. A trick that will help you put the screws in the right hole, draw outlines of your drone then get you some of those clear parts holder boxes with the slide in sections glue the outline to the bottom and as you remove the screws in the square corresponding to the area it was pulled from. In some cases I've actually taken a photo of the item I'm working on and glued it to a magnetic door sign then as I pull screws I will put them on the photo.
5. light light and more light and for good measure throw in a good magnifying glass
get some good marking supplies, I have four or five colors of fingernail polish, perm markers electrical number tape you name it.

I said a good set of screwdrivers but also understand the difference between the set. The problem with these small screws is they are soft and it is easy to strip the head out. Avoid sharp pointed Phillips
Another thing and this is something that I have seen done on a lot of you tube vids even those done by what was supposed to have been Pro's ribbon connections need to be glued down! The factory did that for good reason, electronic noise is the primary reason as vibration is transferred up the cable into contacts it can create "noise" that will effect performance. hot glue stick works great I just heat up an old screwdriver put a dab of glue on it and transfer it over
Hope this helps some

Very informative information Willie, appreciate you sharing.

I’m like you, always have a drone project going. Patience is important, and sense of humor when things go wrong as they will at times.

Thanks again,
Paul

I've done quite a few teardowns on small motors and other models and thought I would pass down some tricks I've found that save a lot of heartache and headache
1. Use a green felt table cover, there are three reasons for this visibility small dropped parts are easy to see , soft no scratches, and things have less chance of rolling off the table
2. Record everything a good overhead camera can be your saving grace.
3. Don't start till you are ready to finish, true you may find a broken part that you didn't expect but the longer you leave the project disassembled the more chance parts get lost and easier to forget how a part fit or came out. Do a lot of research and make sure you have the right tools to do the job the right way. DON'T SKIMP ON YOUR TOOLS. Buy a good set of screwdrivers with well made hardened tips and a good set of polly pry's never use metal to pry off connections, one slip across your circuit board and your will be in a world of hurt
4. A trick that will help you put the screws in the right hole, draw outlines of your drone then get you some of those clear parts holder boxes with the slide in sections glue the outline to the bottom and as you remove the screws in the square corresponding to the area it was pulled from. In some cases I've actually taken a photo of the item I'm working on and glued it to a magnetic door sign then as I pull screws I will put them on the photo.
5. light light and more light and for good measure throw in a good magnifying glass
get some good marking supplies, I have four or five colors of fingernail polish, perm markers electrical number tape you name it.

I said a good set of screwdrivers but also understand the difference between the set. The problem with these small screws is they are soft and it is easy to strip the head out. Avoid sharp pointed Phillips
Another thing and this is something that I have seen done on a lot of you tube vids even those done by what was supposed to have been Pro's ribbon connections need to be glued down! The factory did that for good reason, electronic noise is the primary reason as vibration is transferred up the cable into contacts it can create "noise" that will effect performance. hot glue stick works great I just heat up an old screwdriver put a dab of glue on it and transfer it over
Hope this helps some

I agree with some of your points but not with others. As long as it gets fixed, I guess.

LOL I am man enough to admit I've bitten off more than I can chew on a few occasions, sometimes it can make me over think things
By all means I have no issue with constructive criticism or correction

LOL I am man enough to admit I've bitten off more than I can chew on a few occasions, sometimes it can make me over think things
By all means I have no issue with constructive criticism or correction

Sometimes when repairing DJI products, you need to over think because they didnt think enough when they designed it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MemphisDrone