DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

World magnetic model update

An interesting article on the latest wanderings of the North Pole, and how that affects navigation.

Magnetic north just changed. Here's what that means.

In another 1000 years time the poles will "flip". That would be interesting to see (I will be long gone) the effects on FMC (Flight Management Computers) in commercial jets in relation to "true North" and MAG VAR tables in the IRU's o_O

Reactions: Former Member
Would a firmware update be required for our drones? I guess I'll have to be extra careful when I am at the Arctic Circle at the end of the month.

Reactions: kadras
I'm pretty sure that the model is only in the firmware, so probably yes.

As you are aware, the GPS side of things doesn't change, only MAG North, which has been moving closer to Siberia. Guess the molten mass beneath us, near the earth's crust, wanted a change :D

Reactions: Former Member
In another 1000 years time the poles will "flip". That would be interesting to see (I will be long gone) the effects on FMC (Flight Management Computers) in commercial jets in relation to "true North" and MAG VAR tables in the IRU's o_O

You could always do a Walt Disney and have yourself cryogenitcally frozen. If they are able to revive you, in 1,000 years you will be the oldest living person, and probably make big money on the talk show circuit, if they still have those then.

Reactions: Aww@Mavic and 747P4
Well.. that's a dilemma. If I don't update and my MP flies away, it's my fault. If I update and it flies away, it's DJI's fault. But I don't want my MP to fly away...

This is a well-tested model. The likelihood of it being screwed up in a firmware implementation is very small.

Reactions: AMann and 747P4
well that explains all these recent flyaways they are all heading to Siberia .interesting report though

Do you think they’ll have primitive means of traveling like jets in a thousand years. Bring on Star Treks transporter I say

its a problem of some magnitude but i could be misguided about that if my compass fails

Amazing to contemplate this, and in that time flying a drone I'm guessing will be like flying a kite, and drones will be calibrating themselves, most likely at the speed of light, with humans at traffic control centers, keeping the flow of congested airspace going

So if the order of magnitude of the compass error was, say, 10 to the power of 9, then the resulting compass deviation could result in drones being totally GPS dependent in years to come, by which time I would have kicked the bucket anyway :eek: and drones would be our preferred method of travel!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada