DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Would going more than 64 ND filter help?

veryzebra

Reactions
I used a 64 ND filter trying to get that milky water view but going to a longer exposure really blew out the highlights. What else could I do other than massive post-prod? Thank youwaterfall.jpg

If this is for a still shot, just set all exposure values to what you want. ND filters are good for video when you have no real control over exposure settings. For stills, just go all manual until you get what your want. Use AEB also.

I used a 64 ND filter trying to get that milky water view but going to a longer exposure really blew out the highlights. What else could I do other than massive post-prod?

You shot that with an Air 2 and a one second exposure, so you can't control the light with the aperture and you want silky motion blur, so you need a long shutter speed.
The simplest way to improve the shot would be to shoot on an overcast day when there is less light and you don't get such a strong contrast between shadows and highlights.

Otherwise you could use a stronger ND filter to reduce light levels, but you would still have the shadow/highlight issue and blown highlights.

Reactions: veryzebra
You shot that with an Air 2 and a one second exposure, so you can't control the light with the aperture and you want silky motion blur, so you need a long shutter speed.
The simplest way to improve the shot would be to shoot on an overcast day when there is less light and you don't get such a strong contrast between shadows and highlights.

Otherwise you could use a stronger ND filter to reduce light levels, but you would still have the shadow/highlight issue and blown highlights.
Thanks. Yeah, going out in the bright sun wasn't the best timing in the world, but had the air 2 with me during a mtb ride and had stopped to chill for a bit. Thanks

Or, early or late in the day.

I’ve been experimenting with ND1000 and 2000 filters for stills, but not yet with moving water. Intentional Camera Movement (ICM) = slow shutter speeds and camera movement with a purpose.

Ya, you have a lot of dynamic range in that shot. Going to be hard to get a good balance with a drone camera. You could try more ND and see if you can get the shadow content up in post without too much noise. Maybe even a different time of day when the light is more evenly distributed may work out better.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
controllesp