DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would you advise for or against ?

Soxer123

Reactions
Monday coming, I need to get some photos for my employer of the inside of a large warehouse.

My question is, would it be advisable to put my Mavic Air to use to get these pictures?

The area I will be working in is large and open and the roof is high at about forty feet. I'd only be looking to put it up to a height of maybe 15 - 20 feet.

What I am worried about having not flown indoors, is the loss of GPS signal to keep it stable. I will in the interim, be researching the sensor system for this model, as I read somewhere to can do this.

Just want the opinion of Air owners.

I've been flying for about 6 months now, but do rely on the technology to keep the thing stable.

Over to you please.

What I am worried about having not flown indoors, is the loss of GPS signal to keep it stable
As long as the warehouse is well lit, the downward sensors will be able to keep the aircraft steady at an altitude of 15-20 feet. If there is a chance the aircraft could get a GPS signal, you should set the "Remote Controller Signal Lost" setting to "Hover" just in case the remote controller signal is somehow lost. You can find that setting in the following section of DJI GO:

Here are some other suggestions:
  • Don't power up the aircraft, take off near, or fly near any magnetic metal objects
  • If you have prop guards, it would be a good idea to attach them just in case something doesn't go as planned

I really appreciate that input. I will sent it up well away from everything and as long as I am happy, then I'll set about my photography.

Will check if there's any GPS before taking off and follow your advice. Thank you.

Keith

Reactions: burlereese
You will be fine as long as there is plenty of light. People have flown it in much smaller rooms. Check before you fly what kind of GPS reception it would get in the warehouse so that you know what to expect when you fly it. If it will have no GPS all the time or GPS all the time, both would be fine. What might pose a problem is if it jumps between GPS and OPTI modes, it might do something unexpected when it tries to correct its position during such switches. As pointed out earlier, put it to hover on remote signal lost. And slap those propeller guards on.

Reactions: Mrmund
Just hope I can find the guards. Always flown outdoors so not used them. I'll just take extreme care.

If the warehouse is really wide and open, you should be fine without prop guards. It's just something that's good to use (when you have them) if flying indoors.

It's a 100,0000 sq ft warehouse and I'll be working at the front well away from racking and the likes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sy6
It should be an easy job if you're comfortable flying your Mavic Air.

Well, obviously I am nervous but 2 weeks ago, I was asked if I would do a roof survey on our town's very beautiful and ancient church ahead of work being done. I was scare stiff, you know, expensive drone, ancient building with all those things sticking up. I managed it, despite it being windy up there and the damned thing losing connection once and I'll be honest and confess, I was shaking for 2 hours after. Was asked yesterday if I'd do another one post the roofing work. In for a penny, in for a pound. So, this indoor job will probably have me lying down in a darkened room afterwards. After all the help and encouragement I've received today, I will of course let you know how it all went.

Reactions: NAVMAV and Bobvt
You will be fine as long as there is plenty of light. People have flown it in much smaller rooms. Check before you fly what kind of GPS reception it would get in the warehouse so that you know what to expect when you fly it. If it will have no GPS all the time or GPS all the time, both would be fine. What might pose a problem is if it jumps between GPS and OPTI modes, it might do something unexpected when it tries to correct its position during such switches. As pointed out earlier, put it to hover on remote signal lost. And slap those propeller guards on.

Hi guys,

Good point above about the GPS being patchy (rather than just one of full GPS or no GPS). I recently flew in a woods and the GPS was coming and going - very patchy. The result was that the bird would suddenly jump/veer to the left/right about 1 or 2 foot without warning - not what you'd want when flying in a confined (albeit large) indoor area.

Good luck with it!
Thanks Ronan.

Well, I just conducted my first indoor flight in our warehouse and the Mavic Air is still in one piece. It's a large building, so I kept it well away from the walls and racks. I'll post a bit of video when I've edited it up.

I have to say, I am utterly delighted at how the aircraft handled indoors. What a little gem of a device the Mavic Air is. The flying was truly enjoyable, was was shooting aerial video of our lorries leaving at silly o clock this morning. Glad the sunshine is here, I can enjoy the pictures and video I get from my flights now. Again, thanks everyone who encouraged me to grasp the nettle and fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lagunadci