DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Phone Review

spudster

Reactions
Site
kuula.co
We see lots of posts where pilots are looking for a good phone to use with the DJI controllers. I decided to get a Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 phone to try out since it has some interesting specs and is only $218 from Amazon. After using it for a few fights I thought I'd pass on what I found.

The Good:
1100 nits, 6.43", 1080x2400, AMOLED Screen
4GB Ram, 128G Storage
Android 11
5000 mAh Battery
Only $218
Includes a clear rubberized case, plus cables and charger

The Bad
This is an international version phone so has limited use as a phone in the US (GSM Only).

After a few fights with the Redmi Note 10 I found that even in the brightest sunlight it was as clear as the Tripltek tablet that I have. Of course the screen is not as big so those that need the larger screen the Note 10 is not an option. But then it is nowhere near as heavy either and fits in the RC without any adaptors needed. It will be my go to display from now on and doubtful I'll use the Tripltek again.

Being it was just going to be used as a dedicated display I only loaded on the "drone" apps that I use, did not put in a cell SIM card but did run it with WiFi and Bluetooth on (have an ear bud paired to it). During the flights (average 19 minutes using up a full battery) I did not notice any lag, screen shuddering, no "CPU Overload" warnings even though it 90+ degrees outside and it had great screen sensitivity when making adjustments.

So for those that are looking for a great inexpensive display for your drone and don't need or want a tablet sized screen, I wouldn't hesitate recommending the Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Phone. You can find it on Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y62HJ79

PXL_20210607_202214490.jpgPXL_20210607_202245529.jpgPXL_20210607_202258237.jpg

Last edited:
Just so I understand, your not using the triple tek because its to big and clumsy and this is so much more stream line is that idea, ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on Water.

Just so I understand, your not using the triple tek because its to big and clumsy and this is so much more stream line is that idea, ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on Water.
Yes. The display and size of the Tripltek is great but I only got it because of the bright screen as I fly in the bright sun a lot. But it is heavy making it awkward to use. A large screen is not a top priority for me so with the bright screen the Redmi has I don't have to put up with the heavy bulky Tripltek.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
We see lots of posts where pilots are looking for a good phone to use with the DJI controllers. I decided to get a Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 phone to try out since it has some interesting specs and is only $218 from Amazon. After using it for a few fights I thought I'd pass on what I found.

The Good:
1100 nits, 6.43", 1080x2400, AMOLED Screen
4GB Ram, 128G Storage
Android 11
5000 mAh Battery
Only $218
Includes a clear rubberized case, plus cables and charger

The Bad
This is an international version phone so has limited use as a phone in the US (GSM Only).

After a few fights with the Redmi Note 10 I found that even in the brightest sunlight it was as clear as the Tripltek tablet that I have. Of course the screen is not as big so those that need the larger screen the Note 10 is not an option. But then it is nowhere near as heavy either and fits in the RC without any adaptors needed. It will be my go to display from now on and doubtful I'll use the Tripltek again.

Being it was just going to be used as a dedicated display I only loaded on the "drone" apps that I use, did not put in a cell SIM card but did run it with WiFi and Bluetooth on (have an ear bud paired to it). During the flights (average 19 minutes using up a full battery) I did not notice any lag, screen shuddering, no "CPU Overload" warnings even though it 90+ degrees outside and it had great screen sensitivity when making adjustments.

So for those that are looking for a great inexpensive display for your drone and don't need or want a tablet sized screen, I wouldn't hesitate recommending the Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Phone. You can find it on Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y62HJ79

View attachment 130422View attachment 130421View attachment 130423
Does this phone actually maintain over 1000 nits at a constant rate without overheating and reducing the brightness of the screen when the sun is beating down on it in a 95 degree environment??? I would think it would get hot and reduce it's screen brightness after 5 or 10 minutes. Most phones can't maintain high brightness due to heat problems. ANyway, If I saw this post a couple days ago, I might have considered it, but I just purchased the tripltek pro. It's on its way. Haven't received it yet. Anyway, could you answer my first question. Is the light output constant? Or does heat cause it to dim? I think i'll do some research before I open the Tripltek box.

Here is the amazon statement regrding its NITS OUTPUT:
  • 6.43 inch Super AMOLED, 450 nits (typ), 1100 nits (peak) | Corning Gorilla Glass 3

Last edited:
BUYERS beware. This is a quote from the phone's AMAZON SPECS: "
  • 6.43 inch Super AMOLED, 450 nits (typical), 1100 nits (peak) | Corning Gorilla Glass 3

Does this phone actually maintain over 1000 nits at a constant rate without overheating and reducing the brightness of the screen when the sun is beating down on it in a 95 degree environment???...
I have run this at full brightness, in full sun with 93 deg Florida temps a number of times with no problem. It's good enough that I'm selling my Tripltek Pro.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I have run this at full brightness, in full sun with 93 deg Florida temps a number of times with no problem. It's good enough that I'm selling my Tripltek Pro.
I'm impressed. I just don't trust it. The specs say 450 nits typical and 1100 peak. My Iphone 12 max pro is always dropping its screen brightness when it gets too hot. I actually put it in the freezer for 4 minutes, then used it outside in the florida heat 95F and it actually stayed brighter longer.

Does this phone actually maintain over 1000 nits at a constant rate without overheating and reducing the brightness of the screen when the sun is beating down on it in a 95 degree environment??? I would think it would get hot and reduce it's screen brightness after 5 or 10 minutes. Most phones can't maintain high brightness due to heat problems. ANyway, If I saw this post a couple days ago, I might have considered it, but I just purchased the tripltek pro. It's on its way. Haven't received it yet. Anyway, could you answer my first question. Is the light output constant? Or does heat cause it to dim? I think i'll do some research before I open the Tripltek box.

Here is the amazon statement regrding its NITS OUTPUT:
  • 6.43 inch Super AMOLED, 450 nits (typ), 1100 nits (peak) | Corning Gorilla Glass 3
Here is my latest flight weather. This was a 20 minute flight, 100% to 15% battery, max battery temp 129.4f. Here is a video from the flight, it wasn't really 90% overcast, maybe 50% where I was.

Attachments

• temps.png
    temps.png
    489.1 KB · Views: 6
Here is my latest flight weather. This was a 20 minute flight, 100% to 15% battery, max battery temp 129.4f. Here is a video from the flight, it wasn't really 90% overcast, maybe 50% where I was.
Nice video. Music can really enhance things. Good choice.

Reactions: spudster
Nice video. Music can really enhance things. Good choice.
All I can tell you is my experience with the phone. I am only using it a display from the drone so I disabled everything I could and only loaded only the apps that I would use. No SIM card, Wifi off, all apps stopped but BT is on. Some of those might be able to be active but I don't need them so why have it.

If you buy from Amazon you can always return it if it doesn't work for you. It would be interesting to see if others have the same experiences with it.

Greetings! Awesome, thanks for sharing!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu