DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yagi range extenders

Yagi's are designed for specific narrow band frequencies. It will always work best at the design frequency.
They are technically end-fire traveling wave antennas with some fairly critical dimensions.
Summary - best used at design frequency and it will probably degrade signal at any other.The reason they picked 5.8 is because the dimensions are small enough for mounting directly. The dimensions would have to be roughly doubled for 2.4 Ghz. Unfortunately 5.8 being a shorter wave attenuates faster (trees etc) and has less reflectivity (nearby buildings and such). But then there's usually less interference.
My favorite is still a BiQuad antenna which you can build yourself
The yagi-uda comes in the 2.4 and isn't bigger. And there's a site where some guy has signal strength testers and other neat equipment and shows both 5.8 and 2.4 work quite well.

Yagi's are designed for specific narrow band frequencies. It will always work best at the design frequency.
They are technically end-fire traveling wave antennas with some fairly critical dimensions.
Summary - best used at design frequency and it will probably degrade signal at any other.The reason they picked 5.8 is because the dimensions are small enough for mounting directly. The dimensions would have to be roughly doubled for 2.4 Ghz. Unfortunately 5.8 being a shorter wave attenuates faster (trees etc) and has less reflectivity (nearby buildings and such). But then there's usually less interference.
My favorite is still a BiQuad antenna which you can build yourself
Checked out the build, how do you connect to rc transmitter(mini 1). Not looking for range but a strong signal. I'm in a low housing area,lots of space, but still have drop out only a couple hundred ft, still line of sight. Thanks

I've had them for my Mini 1, Mavic 2 Pro, flying mostly in suburban environment. Like some have stated, I use them in hopes of keeping a more solid signal. But as DanMan32 just said, they focus the beam but in doing so narrows the beam and the direction of the controller becomes more critical. I think under ideal circumstances they could extend the range and perhaps they can help cut through heavy signal interference. They are cheap enough that they are probably worth having for some situations, but I find that I fly more often without them. Theoreticallly I think they function as they should. Are they a benefit? I think it depends.

Last edited:
I've had them for my Mini 1, Mavic 2 Pro, flying mostly in suburban environment. Like some have stated, I use them in hopes of keeping a more solid signal. But as DanMan32 just said, they focus the beam but in doing so narrows the beam and the direction of the controller becomes more critical. I think under ideal an ideal circumstances they could extend the range and perhaps they can help cut through heavy signal interference. They are cheap enough that they are probably worth having for some situations, but I find that I fly more often without them. Theoreticallly I think they function as they should. Are they a benefit? I think it depends.
I agree completely with you. I have tried them on my MM with limited results. Looking forward to trying them on my Mini after Christmas but I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: vindibona1
I agree completely with you. I have tried them on my MM with limited results. Looking forward to trying them on my Mini after Christmas but I'm not holding my breath.
Heh heh... I still had to get my hands on a set just to see what they were. I don't know what I was expecting, but I am surprised at how small they are. Will I ever use them? I don't know. But I did have an experience over the weekend with my Mavic 2 Pro

My sister-in-law lives in a 30 story high rise, overlooking a park surrounded by other high rises, some much taller than hers. I had to go over there on Sunday to pick something up and decided I just wanted to see what I could see. For some reason my max altitude was set to 500' AGL (I thought I'd set it to 500m). But at 500' STRAIGHT UP overhead without going anywhere I was getting a "strong signal interference" message. I think Yagis might have helped cut through that. At least I'd hope so. But with that warning and having inadvertantly restricted myself to 500', not tall enough to see over other buildings, I decided it was best not to try to fly out between them and just landed even though I could keep VLOS. The Yagis for my M2P were in the car, but I didn't have a flight plan in mind so didn't see the point in retrieving them. For $12 I'll keep the Yagis for my Mini2. As they say, it's better to have em and not need em than need em and not have em.

MM2 you mean. Still beneficial. It's also beneficial with the M2, which was the first to use Ocusync.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929