DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yaw drift caused by controller

Blaize

Reactions
Hi all. I have a Mavic Air and it has a nearly constant yaw drift to the right when in flight. I have recalibrated the controller/transmitter a few times and it hasn't made any difference. I have found that if I ever so gently touch the stick to the left I can get it to stop yawing to the right. Just the lightest touch and then let go and it will stabilise. But as soon as I use the left stick again for altitude or yaw adjustment, as soon as I let go, its drifting to the right again. I don't pretend to know how the gimbal in the sticks work, but it would seem my centre point during calibration is RIGHT ON a "sensor point" or whatever. So it seems rather obvious that the left stick gimbal in the controller is faulty.

I bought it used from the original owner and while I have the receipt, its over a year old and I don't think there is any point in chasing DJI or the retailer at this point. So before I consider buying a new controller to solve this, has anyone taken the controller apart and is there any point in doing so? I am more than happy to, I just wonder if there is anything in there to clean out or adjust that may cure this, or is it a lost cause and I should just buy another controller? Can one get parts for the controller? could I replace the left stick gimbal in there? is there any sort of position sensor to clean?

Purely in the interest of avoiding all the "you should have bought new" advice, It didn't do this when I got it. Its in near new condition and I am old enough (43) that is is gently cared for. So its not the result of dropping or rough handling. Just bad luck.

Anyone got any idea's?

Reactions: Mrmund
I seem to remember reading something about this yaw drift issue and if I remember correctly, mine would do this also to some degree. Do a search here and possibly get a bit more info. I don’t believe you have a huge problem that’s worth tearing a controller apart for. If there is someone close by that you could switch controllers with, try that. If you can’t find one, I have one that I can send if you need to go that far.

Well I think I sorted it. Tried the calibration again and really spent some time playing with it (rather than the usual, rushed in a field, ready to fly ordeal) and it would seem that my controller does have a lateral centre point on the left stick that moves around a little. But by simply running thru the calibration process a few times on the 3rd attempt it seems to have stopped. Spent a bit of time hovering in the back yard and it looks to be fixed. So far.......

Thanks for the offer of a loaner transmitter to try, but look at my location and you may want to take that offer back.... in any event, I may have cracked it simply by fiddling with the software. time will tell.

Thing to note, which fooled me for a bit:
When going to the Calibration page, it will show the current calibration. That is, the stick range values. Only when you click "calibrate" on the bottom does it actually begin calibration.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure