DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yet Another Camera Settings Question

RobG

Reactions
Hi folks. I am sorry to start yet another thread about camera settings but I have a couple of specific questions.

First let me tell you I use Android devices with my Mavic. I am a computer systems tech for a major corporation. So I am technology saavy. However, when it comes to flying drones and when it comes to color correction and color grading, I am a definite newbie.

My Mavic is currently on .400 firmware. No specific reason, just read a lot of this forum and decided that upgrading is easy but downgrading is getting a little tricky as time goes on.

I have watched dozens of videos on YouTube about camera settings and color grading. I have read every thread and every post about these things on the forum. But I am still confused. So let me ask the question:

Many of the YouTube videos indicate that you should use DLOG for color grading post production. Many people in this forum say CINELIKE is the best style to use. So I want to take videos that will work well with post production work; nothing fancy, just color grading mostly using a variety of LUTs.

So what settings do you all recommend specifically for someone who want to post process using LUTs in Resolve. And if you have specific recommendations for the LUTs that work best with your suggested settings, that would be appreciated too.

Thanks everyone. I just need to determine whether I should play with DLOG or not; if I don't use DLOG what should I use instead that will work well with color grading post production. I think you get my drift.

Rob

ART Profile
Custom Settings -1,-1,-1

I am on Android. I don't have ART available. And I thought almost everyone was saying to use +1 sharpening to avoid internal noise reduction?

I am liking DLOG at +1, -1, 0. Edit in Pemiere CC and using latest Icarus V2.1 LUT set. Getting nice results. I definitely prefer the +1 sharpen to avoid mushy detial in organics, such as trees and grass. It makes a big difference for me shooting 2.7K and 4K. Works for me, ymmv...

Hi folks. I am sorry to start yet another thread about camera settings but I have a couple of specific questions.

First let me tell you I use Android devices with my Mavic. I am a computer systems tech for a major corporation. So I am technology saavy. However, when it comes to flying drones and when it comes to color correction and color grading, I am a definite newbie.

My Mavic is currently on .400 firmware. No specific reason, just read a lot of this forum and decided that upgrading is easy but downgrading is getting a little tricky as time goes on.

I have watched dozens of videos on YouTube about camera settings and color grading. I have read every thread and every post about these things on the forum. But I am still confused. So let me ask the question:

Many of the YouTube videos indicate that you should use DLOG for color grading post production. Many people in this forum say CINELIKE is the best style to use. So I want to take videos that will work well with post production work; nothing fancy, just color grading mostly using a variety of LUTs.

So what settings do you all recommend specifically for someone who want to post process using LUTs in Resolve. And if you have specific recommendations for the LUTs that work best with your suggested settings, that would be appreciated too.

Thanks everyone. I just need to determine whether I should play with DLOG or not; if I don't use DLOG what should I use instead that will work well with color grading post production. I think you get my drift.

Rob

D-Log is pretty bad.

The general consensus is:

Cine.
+1 sharp
ND filters essential.
ISO 100.

Watch your frame rate.

Yeah I have been reading about Cinelike being the consensus. How about color grading when using Cinelike. Any suggestions for that? Do you color grade when using Cinelike? If so, what are good LUTs for that style?

If I've interpreted what I've read correctly I should be shooting for a frame rate of 30 fps and a shutter speed of 1/60th, correct?

I tend avoid Luts.

DaVinci is the go for colour grading. Simply brilliant.

Art was the consensus before Cinelike was the consensus until D-Log was fixed ;-) Seriously, experiment with recommendations that make sense then choose what *you* like. If you want to grade the footage then dialing back the brightness and contrast isn't a bad idea. The sharpness setting is where much on the controversy happens. There is a great vid by Film Poets on YouTube that offers interesting evidence on how the sharpness setting impacts the quality based on light and contrast levels.

Reactions: Barrettsbuzzin
Yeah, thanks, I know I have to experiment. It's just I'm not experienced with color correction/grading either so as I start to learn with DaVinci Resolve, I want to make sure I am learning with usable footage and not footage that is a wreck due to lousy settings in the first place. If my source files are garbage, I can't expect Resolve to help much LOL.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChickenOverload