DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Your experience with new EXP function in fly app (Mini 2)

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I've been testing the EXP function in the Mini 2 and want to get other's opinions and find out if I'm doing something wrong, as my experience with it hasn't made it useful. I watched the video below and understand how it's supposed to work. And perhaps it's not the right thing for what I'm trying to do with it. I get that it is supposed to make the stick movement/drone response less "linear". But in some respect I found the Mini 2 more difficult to control precisely. I must be doing something wrong.

I use my Mini 2 a lot for flying in tight spaces, but in my tests, dialing back the stick sensitivity I found that I had less control and more jerky movements than with standard settings, dialing back the yaw and gimbal rates. Again, I must be doing something wrong, or perhaps it's not the right thing to use in super tight spots.

What is your impression of the new Mini 2 EXP function?

@vindibona1 i only have the original MM, in tight spaces you want a quick response to stick movement because you need the drone to obey your stick input instantly ,so unless you are flying in extremely restricted areas then the normal settings are fine ,at the other end of the scale as the video above has shown ,then for smooth videos, then less sensitivity is better ,if you have been happy with the stock settings ,and have got used to flying the drone with those settings ,then i would stick with them

@vindibona1 i only have the original MM, in tight spaces you want a quick response to stick movement because you need the drone to obey your stick input instantly ,so unless you are flying in extremely restricted areas then the normal settings are fine ,at the other end of the scale as the video above has shown ,then for smooth videos, then less sensitivity is better ,if you have been happy with the stock settings ,and have got used to flying the drone with those settings ,then i would stick with them
I'm coming to that conclusion. I don't think I mess much with the M2 settings as I can get precision from the Tripod mode without changing a thing. I love the Tripod mode and wish DJI had stuck with that. There isn't a whole lot of difference between cine and normal modes, at least on the Mini 2.

My memory isn't what it used to be, especially with menu locations. The yaw smoothness and other fine settings are in the advanced gimbal settings. Were they always there, or did they get moved when EXP was introduced? [Failure to remember menu locations well is one reason why I like the programmable buttons on the M2 controller better, not to mention I hate digging through layers of menus].

Reactions: old man mavic
@vindibona1 yes the gimbal yaw settings have always been there ,its only the expos thats new

nonlinear controls work fine until you throw video lag into the equation.
The yaw control has always been hidden under advanced gimbal settings and I have no idea why. I set mine way down. I know that some people say they occasionally need fast yaw response...I can do without it. If I want a whip pan, I flip into sport mode.

Reactions: vindibona1
One of the confusing things about the term “Exp” is that it is often mixed up with the term Exposure settings. As in the previous posted YouTube video.
Expo is actually Exponential and has nothing to do with camera exposure settings.
Just to clarify for those who are unsure of the meaning.

Reactions: old man mavic
nonlinear controls work fine until you throw video lag into the equation.
The yaw control has always been hidden under advanced gimbal settings and I have no idea why. I set mine way down. I know that some people say they occasionally need fast yaw response...I can do without it. If I want a whip pan, I flip into sport mode.
My memory is a little wonky these days and remembering where menus reside, nested with other menus has always been a challenge for me. Even 40 years ago when I had a fancy VCR I pretty much stuck with Record, play, rewind. Never did any programming. I didn't remember if the advanced gimbal setting was in a separate place. While I think it's great to identify where the gimbal settings are, I wouldn't have known to look there for the yaw settings. I thought for a bit that the EXP replaced the yaw settings which is why I asked.

Like you I have the yaw speed dialed way back and had hoped that EXP would help with control in general. Even before EXP was available I noticed there are dead spots in the Mini 2 controller. I have not perceived any dead spots in my Mavic 2 controller.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu