DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Your first Litchi mission; my advice

If you would like some help planning them. let me know. You an share Litchi missions, and I can advise...
Thunderdrones, I just noticed on the Litchi Hub Missions page, the "private" box was checked. I just unchecked and saved. Here is the link. See if that makes a difference.

Reactions: Former Member
Thunderdrones, I just noticed on the Litchi Hub Missions page, the "private" box was checked. I just unchecked and saved. Here is the link. See if that makes a difference.

Eureka! WIll check back with you on this.

Eureka! WIll check back with you on this.
Thanks. It's always the little things that get ya. This is not quite the same mission I was trying to share last week. I went to the original launch site and discovered the surrounding trees would totally block my VLOS once the drone cleared them to get to the lake. A very nice resident who lives on the lake, invited me to use his property. So, I reworked the mission. Plus I have been waiting for no rain and less wind to fly the mission. Tomorrow is looking good for the weather. Low 70's, sunny and 5 mph winds. If you don't get to it, I understand. I just have been waiting for over a week for good weather.

Reactions: Former Member
Thanks. It's always the little things that get ya. This is not quite the same mission I was trying to share last week. I went to the original launch site and discovered the surrounding trees would totally block my VLOS once the drone cleared them to get to the lake. A very nice resident who lives on the lake, invited me to use his property. So, I reworked the mission. Plus I have been waiting for no rain and less wind to fly the mission. Tomorrow is looking good for the weather. Low 70's, sunny and 5 mph winds. If you don't get to it, I understand. I just have been waiting for over a week for good weather.

Thats one thing about waypoint missions. You can plan a mission for a long time on the PC, then go to execute it, and find variables that werent taken into account such as trees, construction, and a host of other things. Thats another reason why its such a great app, it will let you change the mission on the spot, so if a condition changes, the app can make the correction.

Heres what your mission looks like to me

Total mission is 2.1 miles
Mission time at a cruise speed of 12.3mph is 13 minutes
13 Waypoints
8 POI

Since your mission is mostly over water, I would recommend mounting a couple of Gettrbacks [1] if the water level is less than 100'. In any case, I would make sure I had State Farm PAP.

Some comments I have are:
  • Make a copy of your mission, leave it on mission hub, and dont alter the master copy. It will be good for you to look back on and see what changes needed to be made.
  • Your home point and WP 1 are densely covered in foliage. This might require a steep vertical ascent to clear the trees. I would move your home point back onshore as far as possible, so that you are higher than the trees while you are still over land.
  • I always make WP1 30' just to make sure the drone is running well.
  • You might want to increase cruise speed on your first run. You have it set to 12.3mph, but you might want to use 15 or higher. That would cut down mission time to 11 minutes or less and let you do a dry run before the real one. Sometimes I do 2 or 3 dry runs to set the POI and camera angles better. You can do this on the App on your device "on the fly."
  • Dont forget to lock your mission once you have it set up. I tend to occasionally accidentally add WP and then wonder how they got there.
  • Were you trying to keep the orientation of the drone towards POI 1 between WP 1 and 2? You will essentially be flying backwards or sideways for 3 of the first waypoints. I prefer to fly facing front on most of my missions, with occasional pans, and save reverse viewing for an entirely different mission. This can all be edited together later.
  • It all looks good up until WP9, which will take the drone behind you. I usually like to keep it in front of me, and dont move my feet the whole mission. There are only 4 WP after #9, so you could make that an entirely different mission.
  • I like to keep my POI in sequential order in the direction of flight. Since yours is clockwise, I would delete POI #2 and make #3 #2.
Altitudes look fine, and most of the residents wont even know you are there with an M2P. Thats a respectful altitude.

You did a good job, and I hope you get to fly it and fine tune it to get the result that youre looking for. Just remember that an 11 or 13 minute flight will be alot of footage to edit later if you let the camera run. Try to be selective on what you shoot, and it will save you, or someone you hire to edit it, alot of time.

[1] Getterback https://www.getterback.com

Reactions: Sergio Espinoza
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78