DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Youtubes VP90

bmwbob

Reactions
I film at 4K 24fps and still no VP90 encoding on Youtubes! Any secrets other than get 1000 views?

I film at 4K 24fps and still no VP90 encoding on Youtubes! Any secrets other than get 1000 views?
You have to view the video using Chrome to view 4k on YouTube. Maybe other browsers will work too but Chrome is your best shot. Notably Apple Safari doesn’t support 4k videos on YouTube.

You have to view the video using Chrome to view 4k on YouTube. Maybe other browsers will work too but Chrome is your best shot. Notably Apple Safari doesn’t support 4k videos on YouTube.

That's my primary browser :( No joy!

That's my primary browser :( No joy!
That’s kinda what I figured.

Apple and Google have been in a “high efficiency codec” war for years. Apple wants the world to switch to HEVC (aka H.265) because they think it’s better and have designed their chips to be optimized for that codec. HEVC is a newer better proprietary codec subject to royalties. VP9 is an older less efficient but free and open source codec.

Apple fully committed to HEVC and to throw its weight around to get the world behind HEVC, decided to boycott VP9 by disabling it from working in its browser with the intent that content providers will have to use HEVC if they want Apple customers to use their products thereby aiding in the proliferation of that codec. This strategy has largely paid off. HEVC is now the golden standard of high efficiency codecs and VP9 has fallen into obscurity other than at Google.

This leaves you with the choice of thinking Apple is petty and a bully for strong arming the world into using HEVC or thinking Google is too cheap and stubborn to embrace a newer better technology.

:( Turns out Filmora 9 doesn't support Youtubes VP90 encoding so I have to find another video editor that supports VP90 and out the cost of Filmora 9

:( Turns out Filmora 9 doesn't support Youtubes VP90 encoding so I have to find another video editor that supports VP90 and out the cost of Filmora 9
You are misunderstanding. YouTube will encode your video no matter what codec you upload to YouTube. In fact I once did a test and uploaded a video that was already VP9 and YouTube was confused. It took three times longer for it to process and the quality was poor.

YouTube encodes all 4k content to VP9 automatically and btw VP9 is obscure as I said before, there are very few encoders that will encode VP9.

I’ve found that the best all around codec to upload to YouTube is HEVC (h.265) believe it or not lol. H.264 works fine too.

You are misunderstanding. YouTube will encode your video no matter what codec you upload to YouTube. In fact I once did a test and uploaded a video that was already VP9 and YouTube was confused. It took three times longer for it to process and the quality was poor.

YouTube encodes all 4k content to VP9 automatically and btw VP9 is obscure as I said before, there are very few encoders that will encode VP9.

I’ve found that the best all around codec to upload to YouTube is HEVC (h.265) believe it or not lol. H.264 works fine too.

I contacted Filmora 9 support and they stated no matter the frame rate or upload setting Youtubes will default to AVC.

All the high quality videos on Youtube's are VP09 and run smoothly in HD at low bandwidth internet where the HVC Youtube codec runs choppy at low resolution unless you have fast internet.

All the high quality videos on Youtube's are VP09 and run smoothly in HD at low bandwidth internet where the HVC Youtube codec runs choppy at low resolution unless you have fast internet.
Only 4k videos are VP9 and you have to have a high bandwidth connection for it to run smoothly. VP9 is only designed for resolution higher than 1080p

Only 4k videos are VP9 and you have to have a high bandwidth connection for it to run smoothly. VP9 is only designed for resolution higher than 1080p

I can watch 4K videos showing at 1080 HD perfectly fine encoded with V9, but AVC video default to 480 on my slow internet and Filmora 9 only encodes AVC on Youtubes :(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom